Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP :) We Need Big Red...

Exclamation HELP :) We Need Big Red...

Phellow Photonians -

We are in need to X-Rent a Diode-based Red laser system for a Client Demo on July 31 (meaning we'd need it ~7/25-ish - 8/1) - the most important aspect of which, is LOTS of power - AND - no 'darker' wavelength than 650nm. In fact, for obvious reasons, 635nm will be much preferred.

If 650nm, we'd want at least 5-6+ Watts, 8-10W would be better. If 635nm is available, likely as little as 2-3W could work, 3-5W would be spectacular. BEAM 'QUALITY' WILL BE LEAST IMPORTANT, at least from the standpoint that we're NOT scanning this beam at all, (so no worries about super-tight divergence/galvo mirrors, etc) ie- even if you gave us a 15mm beam, we will be expanding / re-collimating to about a 25mm beam - we need a giant, coherent, 'nuclear firehose' of a beam - like the thread-title says: 'Big Red'

Factors for you to consider before presenting solutions, other than the strict wavelength requirements (660-670 will just plain be too in-efficient/dark), are the (obvious) requirement of this unit needing self-sufficient cooling management, so it does not blow itself up and at least SOME sort of enclosure / ability TO be enclosed, as this Demo will be outdoors. We will do everything possible to protect from dust, etc, but a bunch of 'raw' diodes/mounts/optics is prolly not the best solution (again, unless easily enclosureable). For the purposes of this Demo, CDRH-certification will not be required; we are working closely with them on a Variance just for this demo, so don't worry about interlocks, keyswitches, compliance, etc - we just need a big, red flashlight!

We have a highly-respected Industry-leader (Greg Makhov) working on a potential solution for us thru Coherent, but if it can't work out (ie Coherent is kinda a big Co. and might be like, 'sorry, we're too busy', etc...), we need to have a 'back-up' plan - or maybe somebody here in the much larger 'PL-pool' may have/know of a better, easier-obtained solution than Coh, for this immediate situation. No doubt, Coh could deliver an amazing unit (I have to check with Greg about posting a photo of a prototype OPSL/diode WL unit - 18" x 18" and produces 10 Watts of WL!!! - it's beautiful - you'll weep! ) but IF they will, and also, we don't exactly have $200K to throw at this.

We do, however, have a respectable amount of $$ for X-Rental / system transpo/care, which can be discussed upon presentation of a solution, but suffice to say, for the specs we're requesting (it's a tall-order, we know...) it's not likely to be enough to BUY a system like this (unless someone is cashing-out, etc) so we'd really appreciate zero 'sales-pitches' for new systems - we're not able to drop $10-20K on this.

I CAN say, that if this Demo goes as well as we are expecting (especially if we get multi-watts of 635!!! ), we WILL be getting enough to then BUY, to build a long-term-test (like 60-90 days) prototype, which involves, among other things, building an outdoor, hermetically-sealed all-weather enclosure etc. So, we'll have more time, etc. And I also can say (without saying too much) that if this goes as expected / we get a prototype contract, this will be a VERY VERY high-profile project - you will DEFINITELY see this on the likes of CNN! - and we'd be happy to name you / your Co as contributors to the project.

It's a pretty exciting gig, and something that will help to further champion lasers' usefulness in our world, and at the same time, help dispell some of the 'bad-press' that lasers/we get when the plane-targeting pointer-morons make news and ignorant lawmakers clump those idiots and us laserists all together under the category of 'Dr Evil / must be banned', etc... we will be showing some of the most potent 'powers that be' that lasers are not 'mindless death-rays', but are very 'obedient' devices (they only go where we point them, dummy!) and are able to be engineered into safe, sane, and highly useful / helpful products to mankinds' benefit/ocular-delight.

Any takers?

Our number is 585.581.5500 (here in the US) if anyone wants to chat more details / a potential solution for us / this Demo...Efficient calls are appreciated much more than 15 page emails, fyi

Have a nice Ray...

Jon
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-14-2008 at 06:42.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hi Jon

Ok this may not be much help but ....

Here in the UK there is a company called Laser innovations

they manufacture 12w Red yags ... they are 659nm so not what you really after, although they do rent lasers out ,

Maybe its worth a chat with them to see if they have a customer in the US that has one of these for rent or thy might know a better sollutution

http://www.laser-innovations.co.uk/p...-gen-red.shtml

all the best ... Karl

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=dsli_jon;51526]Phellow Photonians -

Call George at Lightwave International in Pittsburgh, and rent the whole RGB

www.lasershows.net
    Tell George I sent you and hello.

Steve

Hey Karl! -

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi Jon

Ok this may not be much help but ....

Here in the UK there is a company called Laser innovations
    they manufacture 12w Red yags ... they are 659nm so not what you really after, although they do rent lasers out ,

all the best ... Karl
    Um, yeah, sure - can I borrow yer credit card for just a minute??

We know of these units - Lee Laser, here in the US, makes em, too - essentially, they get the Nd lasing at 1318nm (how, exactly, I dunno - double-doping? temp-control? ?? - but it's complex), then can SHG-it down to 659 - trouble is, unless you have $125K - actually, I think they're even more than that- you're 'SHGOL' - they don't exactly x-rent...

Here's a cool shot of one in operation (not our photo) - I believe this was from LSDI years ago - they had too little call for it, and it was too much maintenance / a bit fineky, so they ditched it (as I recall..).. even so, this looks relatively dark for 12+ watts - even if this had been just a few nm down (like Kr's 647) I think it would have looked a lot brighter...imagine 12W of 635!!

Anyhoo, cheers from So Cal, and thanks for at least tryin...

peace..
    J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12W_Red.jpg  

Hey Steve-

[quote=mixedgas;51578]
    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Phellow Photonians -

Call George at Lightwave International in Pittsburgh, and rent the whole RGB
    Tell George I sent you and hello.
    Thanks for the idea - this IS, in fact, on the 'back-up list' but, since #1, Arctos uses 650nm, so we'd need a 10W unit, to get (maybe) 3W of 650, and #2, George is VERY hard to get ahold of - he's all over the planet - kudos to him! - we'd likely go after the 4W from RGB Systems of Hungary, since it at least can do 1.3 W of 635 (which I'd bet would be close - if not beat, visually, the 3W of 650...), so we'll see..

But thanks for the idea...worst-comes-to-worst, we can always drag a genny and water-truck out to the site (neither of those facilities on this particular site...) and kick 6+W out of our 171 Kr, but we're trying to get AWAY from the 'death-ray' stigma, and a big badass 171 does not exactly conjure up the 'cute-innocent-little-laser' image!

Anyhoo, thanks..
    J

Somebody here built a 20-30 LD 'flashlite' (not sure of the wavelength and I cant find the thread ) but maybe they'd rent it to ya.. hope that was helpful .. somebody may know who I'm talking about..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Somebody here built a 20-30 LD 'flashlite' (not sure of the wavelength and I cant find the thread ) but maybe they'd rent it to ya.. hope that was helpful .. somebody may know who I'm talking about..

I think you mean this one... I think it is 3W and it may be 660, so too "low" for his "project". I'm not sure how well this beast would travel. This don't look like not innocent laser either... Maybe not as "bad ass" as a 171 but definatly not a take home to mom laser either.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yeah Aaron, THATS IT!! Thanks for finding that !
    That's such an amazing feat of engineering ( I'm pre-supposing it's an individual effort; rather than a corporate venture) but either way it sure is PURTY Ahhhhhh!
    It may be too 'low' for his project, but it sure wouldnt be for mine!!!

Hi Jon,
    PM send, please check it, thanks.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Oh, Jon-- Yes, if Bridge is gonna make U a deal, Take It!! His company absolutely A+++ his lasers are awesome (I have a 473 of his and it's absolutely unreal!!!) And If he's got 635s ( and I know he does) It'll be alll goooood--------