Thread: Flight case for RGB laser projector

Default Flight case for RGB laser projector

Hi!
    I am building an RGB projector...I have purchased the lasers from Laser-wave. As I have no more money to spend, I decided to build the projector inside of a flight case that I don't need any more. It is made out of wood covered with something which seems to be a kind of rubber...it is not a very high quality case but it does its job. Anyway, it can be opened both on the front and on the back side and on the top (which could be useful to adjust the optics). I have measured its dimensions (see the pictures).
    Of course I will put the electronics on an aluminium sheet and the optics on a 10mm aluminium plate...

What do you think about building the projector here?

I always look at it this way:

You have spent a lot of money and hours of hard work on your pride and joy, if the laser is out on the road you want to put it in the stongest case you can...

Imagine if it were dropped and damaged...

I tend to think it is worth spending the money on a good solid case... Preferably steel... It's certainly cheaper than having to replace all those fragile and expensive components...

Just my 2 cents...

Mark

I completely agree with you...unfortunately, at the moment for me it is not a matter of cheap/expensive: everything is expensive as I do not have money at all. I am a student and spent all my money to buy lasers/optics/scanners. However, I'll try asking my grandfather, who worked in the steel industry, if he still knows somebody who can give me some steel to build the case...

Cool

The killer is going to be the 13 cm height restriction of that box. That's going to make it very tight in there.

Lay everything out first and see how it fits. Think about airflow patterns, wiring runs, and how you're going to get in there with tools to adjust optics, mounts, and scanner tuning.

If you get the layout just right, it might fit. But you'll need to pre-plan everything. I think you'll be OK if you mount everything on a solid aluminum plate.

Adam

thank you very much! I meant to plan the layout as it is so important (learnt from my previous projector - you know...). The height is 19cm, not 13..anyway it needs planning...

My case is 50cm wide and 14cm high... It's an old RC helicopter flightcase.
    http://www.rcmods.co.uk/images/ek1-t0302.jpg

I've managed to get a full RGB setup in there... Nice and tight, just the way I like it

I'll post pictures some day..