Thread: Measure mA howto?

Default Measure mA howto?

hello ppl..

im about to measure mA up to 500. and have a multimeter. but i have no clue on how to set it up.

wich setting/tap should i choose to read mAmps.?

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/mas830lf.htm

thnx ppl.

/Rick

Put the red lead in the left hole. Then, you turn the dial to A for amps. Avoid the ma settings as you are too close to one amp. You may blow the internal fuse.

Then, use the meter as part of the circuit. In otherwords, the power needs to go through your meter to the object being measured.

Hi Rick,

I hope you're trying to read 500mA DC. This meter will do that, but it won't measure AC current.

Plug your black lead into the jack marked COM.
    Plug your red lead into the jack marked 10ADC.

When the current through the meter is 500mA, the display will show 0.500 (which equals 1/2 amp).

To connect the meter into the circuit, disconnect one end of the wire that you want to read the current through. Connect the meter from the now-disconnected end of the wire to the place where it was connected.

MAKE SURE YOUR METER IS SET UP CORRECTLY *BEFORE* YOU HOOK IT INTO THE CIRCUIT!

Once you are sure the meter is set up and connected correctly, power up your circuit and read the current.

If you are not sure of these instructions, ask more questions. We'll help you out!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    Hi Rick,

I hope you're trying to read 500mA DC. This meter will do that, but it won't measure AC current.

Plug your black lead into the jack marked COM.
    Plug your red lead into the jack marked 10ADC.

When the current through the meter is 500mA, the display will show 0.500 (which equals 1/2 amp).

To connect the meter into the circuit, disconnect one end of the wire that you want to read the current through. Connect the meter from the now-disconnected end of the wire to the place where it was connected.

MAKE SURE YOUR METER IS SET UP CORRECTLY *BEFORE* YOU HOOK IT INTO THE CIRCUIT!

Once you are sure the meter is set up and connected correctly, power up your circuit and read the current.

If you are not sure of these instructions, ask more questions. We'll help you out!

Tim
    Yeah, it's VERY easy to blow the meter's fuse if it's not setup properly!

ive just spent some time soldering toghether DRLavas driver for an 405nm 150mw (probably only 65mw) diode. running in 90-100mA

But regarding to Drlavas setup instructions he sent,
    the driverboard is set to 500mA from start as i read it anyway. Wouldent that blow my diode thru the roof if i connect it just for a few sec.

i can read the Voltage and it gives out 5.2V but yea the problem is to read the amps. :P
    Last edited by rfourt; 08-05-2008 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    ive just spent some time soldering toghether DRLavas driver for an 405nm 150mw (probably only 65mw) diode. running in 90-100mA

But regarding to Drlavas setup instructions he sent,
    the driverboard is set to 500mA from start as i read it anyway. Wouldent that blow my diode thru the roof if i connect it just for a few sec.

i can read the Voltage and it gives out 5.2V but yea the problem is to read the amps. :P
    Get a regular diode and run the + side of the laser output through your red lead of the meter. The connect the black lead of the meter to the diode. Connect the other end of the diode to the minus side of the laser driver. Driver+ => Amp meter => Diode => Driver-

Make sure you have the diode in the correct orientation.

cool ill try this..thankx..

i bought a tester board from rckstr and i use that to measure. it makes it very simple!
    -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    i bought a tester board from rckstr and i use that to measure. it makes it very simple!
    Tell me more. What is the board like? Is there a web site for it?

-Josh