Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaserWorld Scanners gets extremely hot.

Default LaserWorld Scanners gets extremely hot.

Hello ppl.

Today i wanted to test my "LaserWorld" 50K scanners/galvos.

i connected everyhting from the schematics and fired it up toghether with the Easylase USB DAC. (Thnx for the drivers JM.)

Anyway. they seem to work fine and i runed the Easylase test software.
    But just after a few sec i felt some strange smell, and felt the scanners and driver boards.

One of the driver boards and Scanner gets extremly hot. i mean really hot. After maby just 1min the mirror on the scanner started to losen its glue becouse of the heat so i turned it off.

I double checked the cables/wiring and everything seems fine.

Although i noticed one thing on the powersuply when testing it with a "Electrical Power Meter" the V+ and V- gives out nearly 50Volts.
    While if i test the V+ to the Ground or V- to the ground i get 24 Volts.

On the power suply it says 24Volt out. and i checked the Scehmatics and it says the scanner driver board should be connected to V+ 24V and V- 24V.

im getting really confused here. any body else got these scanners and maby can test if the also get nearly 50Volt if they test the V+ and V-.

Could it be that the powersuply is faulty or perhaps the driverboard.?

here is a pic.

Thank you.

/Rickard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00493.JPG  

Here is the schematics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LW-50K-en_neu.pdf  

What you have there is a differential power supply. It should read almost 50 volts across +V and -V (24 + 24 = 48).

If you put the black meter lead on the ground, you should read +24 volts on V+ and -24 volts on V-.

Are you using a digital meter that can measure negative voltage?

It looks to me like you have it hooked up correctly. You've got the right colored wires in the right positions, anyway.

Maybe you are just driving it way too hard!

Does it get hot just sitting there doing nothing?

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-01-2008 at 15:25.

oki... yea i was thinking liek that also.. but didnt know for sure.

but oki.. hm what can be wrong becouse its get really hot.. if you touch it after 1min you get burnt.. searious burnt. :P

Im starting to think that the ground could be the problem.

if you check the schematics

pin 1 is 24+
    pin 2 is Ground
    pin 3 is 24-
    pin 4 is Ground.

on the Driver board 1 i connected the pin 1 and 3 to correct and then the grounds wired toghether to the "G" between V- and V+ on the power suply.

And the Driver Board 2 i connected Pin 1 and 3 to the same as above and then the grounds wired toghether to the "G" on the left side of V-.

I mean arent both "G"īs connected toghether?

Also another thing i start to think about
    the other cables goes to the ILDA box i made (check Pic) wich is connected to easylase USB DAC. and they arent faulty but im litle unsure about the pin25 as it says it should be connected to Ground of the LaserBox/projector wich i dont have yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00490.JPG  

so basicly the Ground (ILDA) goes just in the ILDA box i made and then nowhere except out to USB DAC.

i havent Tuned the Scanner Driver boards as it says its done at the factory but could it be that its tuned to high or something?

Even if i dont run any software to the scanners and just let them be on. It still gets burning hot.

(sorry for all the posts but keep forgetting to upload images) :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dfg.JPG  

Set your meter to continuity. Turn off everything and unplug it from the main AC power. Check to see if all of your grounds really are all tied together like you think they are.

Like I said, does it get hot while it's just stting there doing nothing?

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-01-2008 at 15:46.

Set your meter to continuity. Turn off everything and unplug it from the main AC power. Check to see if all of your grounds really are all tied together like you think they are.
    hehe.. sometimes you need a second brain.. hehe... didnt think of that.

Yea it gets hot after just a few seconds.. even though i dont run any program/show etc.

The mirrors moves to one position as soon as i plug in the power and then its starts to heat up.

i cant check right now as the scanners are at work but i will go there tomorrow and check again.

im not to good with the electrical part, only soldering computer cables and low current cables all day at work.

im litle conserned about the ILDA pin25 (ground) i dont think it has something to do with this particular problem but just to be on thesafe side. could i plug that pin25 to something to fix the ground.?

like on my power cord ground?

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    could i plug that pin25 to something to fix the ground.?
    like on my power cord ground?
    That question right there has been the topic of a great amount of discussion right here at the PL!

If the scanner gets hot even when there is no signal driving it, YOU HAVE A REAL PROBLEM! Fix it or fry the scanner!

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    That question right there has been the topic of a great amount of discussion right here at the PL!
    And the answer would be no`? i have no clue.

yea as only one driver board gets really hot i asume there is some faulty to that driver board.

Thnx so much for your help-

Check the continuity of all the wires in the cables that connect the scanner to the amp.

The mirrors moves to one position as soon as i plug in the power and then its starts to heat up.
    Are you sure that BOTH V+ and V- are getting to the scanner driver board as they should? Are you sending a DC offset into the scanner some how? It sound like you're driving it all the way, one way and burning it up!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-01-2008 at 19:04.