Thread: Some one has been working OT at Melles...

Default Some one has been working OT at Melles...

I seen this today in an e-mail......not much power, but the DPSS real seems to be broadening a bit...

CVI Melles Griot Releases Blue 488 Nanometer Solid State Laser For Bio-Analytical Applications
    July 31, 2008
    CVI Melles Griot announced the release of its new 85-BBB series blue solid state laser with new controller format. The products provide up to 30 mW of output at 488 nm, with the highest electrical to optical efficiency available in this wavelength range. The laser is now offered with the new CLC compact, universal OEM controller which also drives the new ultra-compact CRH diode lasers with the same common command sets. This new controller format makes these products easy to integrate into any system or instrument. Superior beam quality and extremely low power consumption makes it ideal for OEM use.

The 85-BBB series can be used as a direct replacement for air-cooled argon-ion lasers in bio-analytical, medical, and metrology applications. With a total power consumption of less than 20 W, thermal management is dramatically simplified and operating lifetime is measurably increased.

According to Lisa Tsufura, Laser Marketing Manager, "the system comprising a small laser head footprint, a universal controller for maximum flexibility, and an RS-232 interface delivers exceptional performance for a compact OEM solution. The product is also available with single-mode fiber beam delivery."

SOURCE: CVI Melles Griot
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

That's pretty neat, but take it from someone who has an Argon with lots of 514 and 488 and not much 476. 488 is cyan. It's not so good for the B in RGB!

James.

Why is it ... ?

that companies are still deveoping new products with RS232 interfaces

one of my main headaches in the automation business ( my main core business ) is that we still have new hardware being developed with RS232 ..... has any of these guys tried to go out and buy a new laptop with a serial port on it .... i have spent the last couple of years trying to get virtual usb to serial ports working for customers without much sucess .... mainly due to the fact that most industrial software calls directly to the hardware for the port number

last year i replaced my own laptop to get a shiny new hi spec Dell they quoted me £700 but i then found that there was no serial port ... so asked if i could have one

they came back to me and said that with the spec, graphics and CPU that i had requested and to have a serial port also they would have to upgrade to a different type of mother board... total cost £1200

so a 9 pin serial port cost me £500

but at least when i turn up to a customers site its plug and play ( i wish )

ok rant over ..... ( better stop my face has all gone red )

deep breath .....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

what a lovely world

all the best ..... Karl

Hi Karl

I sympathise with your plight. Most of our optical manufacturing kit is still being made with serial ports.

We always use Comtrol Rocketports, see here...

http://www.comtrol.com/

We find these to be extremely reliable and are about the only ones that work without any hassle. Might be worth giving them a try.

I have a 'spare' 4 port hub that I can bring to the meet for you to look at. I sadly can't let you have it as it's destined for our lab in a few weeks.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

i agree a lot of desktops dont even come standard with serial ports anymore! GRRRRR

but alienware laptops still offer serial ports
    -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Why is it ... ?

that companies are still deveoping new products with RS232 interfaces

one of my main headaches in the automation business ( my main core business ) is that we still have new hardware being developed with RS232 ..... has any of these guys tried to go out and buy a new laptop with a serial port on it .... i have spent the last couple of years trying to get virtual usb to serial ports working for customers without much sucess .... mainly due to the fact that most industrial software calls directly to the hardware for the port number

last year i replaced my own laptop to get a shiny new hi spec Dell they quoted me £700 but i then found that there was no serial port ... so asked if i could have one

they came back to me and said that with the spec, graphics and CPU that i had requested and to have a serial port also they would have to upgrade to a different type of mother board... total cost £1200

so a 9 pin serial port cost me £500

but at least when i turn up to a customers site its plug and play ( i wish )

ok rant over ..... ( better stop my face has all gone red )

deep breath .....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

what a lovely world

all the best ..... Karl
    Hi Karl.

At my work we work alot with industrial equipment for the transportation and Waste industri.

Its almoust 90% 9Pins out there and we have a PCMCA card with a cord and a 9Pin connector that we use when we connect our laptops to the Trucks/Cars. Dont know if that could help you but i could check the manufacture tomorrow when im at work if you want.

Cheers.
    /Rickard

Hi Rickard / jem

Yes i have found that the Pcmca Cards do work well as they connect directly to the PCI bus and are treated as motherboard hardware

but unfortunatey we only supply to the customer the Packaging machinery not the programing control software ( that comes from the servo manufacturer ) or the PC hardware ..... the customer already has that ....

and even after they have spent £2 million on a new packaging line its really hard to get them to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a laptop PCMCA card

but they still expect me to get it to work

all the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi Rickard / jem

Yes i have found that the Pcmca Cards do work well as they connect directly to the PCI bus and are treated as motherboard hardware
    RS232 is popular in the automation industry because they are exceptionally reliable and have very few configuration options that can go wrong- how many times have you had problems getting a USB device to work right, unexpectedly, and the only solution was reinstalling some obscure bit of software?

RS232 is also very cheap and easy to implement on the device side- USB stacks are much more complex than RS232, which is easy.

I've had great success with FTDI USB to RS232 adaptors, which are very cheap and are a de-facto standard in the microcontroller hobbyist market. The SIIG "USB to serial" cables use them- cost about $10, check them out.