Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argon Krypton Spectra physics

Just wantd to bring you an update on this deal.

The deal is 99% off.

I was offered these 3 heads inclusive 2 power supplys for 5000USD.
    the seller was on ebay ofc. But he presented some really nice pictures of the equipment, and told me they have been in a clean labratory all the time, and not a scratch anywhere. He also claimed they where 15Watts each.

i was really Really close to send him the money when i just got in contact with an UK Spectra physics service man. He Told me one of the heads he actually had been working on in a labratory in Scottland. and that this head was set to operate in UV and was removed from that labratory becouse of newer lasers where brought in.

He also explained that even though the pictures is really nice and probably one of the cleanest and well kept heads in a long time on ebay. Lasers Stated in labratorys are often runnning 24/7 for a wery long time. And many of these lasers run on maximum as the labratory has cash to buy a new one. (didnt think of that actually)

Although he can not know for sure the other 2 heads also are set up for UV he think they are. And as i have not recived an answer from the seller when asking him if they are, for 3days i asume the deal is off.

Actually i asked the seller twice about the hours on the heads but he never answered that particular question, even though they should have a counter display regarding to "SP".

Anyway. SP directed me to a friend of him selling some other SP/coherent lasers so im right now waiting for some prices from him.

The search continues.

The reason why i suddenly are going for these old big monsters are the price of blue lasers. LaserWave has allready given me an outstanding price of a nice 150mW blue(thnx bridge), but that will be on my "Small Projector" for my bigger project i would be be ruined to go for an 1-2watt Blue diode. So my thought is to go for the Argon or even better Argon Krypton.

I mean for the price of one HighPowered Blue diode you could actually get a descent SP /coherent Argon laser. and have both green and blue and the wavelengths between.

So if anyone see or hear or know of any SP or alike pls msg me.

Take care all.
    /Rickard

If you get 2 lasers, have one gassed pure argon, the other pure krypton. Then when combined you will get far more power than using a mixed gas fill.

We did this with a pair of 2011's. Used to get about 5W green/blue and 2.5W red/yellow.

Having said that though, a mirror imaged pair of whitelights is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    Anyone have any experiance with these lasers?

I have gotten an offer for 3 Spectra Physics 2020 heads (mdlnr:2025-60)
    And 2 power suplys. (i will get the 3th suply for free from an swedish spectra physics dealer)

I have worked with an SP 168 Argon. before, but these are Argon Krypton.

They have no modulation input from what i know and heard, so im just wondering how to get out a particular color.? (filter/optics)?

they told you 15 watt argon krypton because that is what the danger label says. if they are UV lasers they are argon with quartz windows. I personally dont like 2020's. Money is one problem, but craploads of 3 phase is your other. THey are not very hobbiest friendly as 168' / 265 are. just my .02. Unless you know alot about these lasers...I would recommend you find a 164, 165, or 168 to start off in ion lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    If you get 2 lasers, have one gassed pure argon, the other pure krypton. Then when combined you will get far more power than using a mixed gas fill.

We did this with a pair of 2011's. Used to get about 5W green/blue and 2.5W red/yellow.

you mean like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post

whoops forgot link...You mean like this one? http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...light=laserman

Really nice system there laserman.

looks like the system i worked with back in the 90s when i was a apprentis (dont know if thats the correct word, excuse my english) at LaserMedia.

We had a 2010 Argon pruducing 6watt and almoust the excact breadboard and scanner setup.

Nowdays most ppl (i have noticed) run the beamshows from the scanners, wich i can understand as the scanners today are really fast, but there is something in the feeling to align the beam out in the venue to the Bounce mirrors with your hand directly on the breadboard, and not to forgett the Beamsplitting 50/50/ multiple beams you can do stuff with.

When the tube gets older it produces more watts from what i have heard and i remember in the end of its days we had about 6 beamsplitters making alot of beams and toghether with the old "SP" Auctuators ( cant remember the names of them but really REALLY fast) we produced one of the most exciting beamshows i have ever seen. mmmm..

Full color in animation is really nice.. but a 6-10watt Argon, producing beamshows with the help of only mirrors and auctuators beats that in my opinion.

here is my setup that im building right now. The frame is builded, only thing right now im looking for is the Allu for the top and bottom breadboard. and ocf the Tubes.

Ive got an answer from the UK Spectra Physics dudes friend.. and he offers me 2x 2011 for about £1000 (thats UK pounds) each. inclusive the power supplys and he wiull search for the transformator for the 208V. i think i can go litle lower if i buy them both at the same time.

Im waiting for pics next week of them.

On wednsday im also going to an company here in sweden that has produced light and lasershows for along time, but now has gone over more to Video Projections etc. and have alot of laser stuff thats just laying in there warehouse.

so we will see.

Take care all

/Rickard

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    On wednsday im also going to an company here in sweden that has produced light and lasershows for along time, but now has gone over more to Video Projections etc. and have alot of laser stuff thats just laying in there warehouse.
    That sounds very interesting. What company would that be? Let me know if you find anything good.

Hi m8!

Imagica Sweden.
    They did the LaserShow in the water outside the Royal Palace on the Millenium cellebrations.

I know they also did the opening ceromony at the world wintergames here in sweden a couple of years agoo.

They are a couple of 3 old dudes, really cool fellows. Professors and doctors etc.

ill see how much stuff they have for sale and if there is nothing im interested in i can listen if i can put it up here for them.