Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried NRG Projectors?

Default Anyone tried NRG Projectors?

Hi,

I've seen an RGY projector in a shop, I quite fancy. Projects very good graphics as well as beams from the pics - not seen it working. Its an NRG 190mw RGY projector. RRP is £399 and its IDLA compliant with inputs and outputs as well as I've seen it for much less.

Anyone heard of / tried any of their products?

These are the claimed specs:

190mW of red/green Laser Power with true colour balance

· Red, green and yellow colour output
    · 249 show patterns including graphics, text, logos, beam effects and animations
    · Control zoom in/out, X/Y sizing, rotate clockwise/ anticlockwise, blank image
    · Control position up/down, right/left
    · Control draw speed
    · Control vertical and horizontal roll and speed
    · High speed, high quality X/Y galvanometer scanners
    · High reflective optics for maximum power delivery to aperture
    · High capacity high speed microprocessor control system
    · Reverse image switch on back panel
    · Safety interlock port for HSE compliance
    · Key switch operation for HSE compliance
    · LED emission indicators for HSE compliance
    · Scan-signal fail cut off circuit for your safety and HSE compliance
    · 12 Channels for DMX control
    · Standalone control
    · Sound Control with built in microphone and volume control on back panel
    · ILDA compliant
    · ILDA control port

Yep,

I have one of those and a 350mw RGB which I bought from Gary of Laser Know How on fleabay. Well the RGY i bought on fleabay the RGB one I bought direct with Gary.
    NRG is a label he sticks on them as far as I know. He has sourced these from China from a well known supplier, could be Canton Laserpic Electronic Equipment Co.,Ltd,

Did not know they was being sold in shops but no reason why not.

They only have 12kpps scanners ( can go upto 15kpps so I have been told ) and I don't think they have been tuned very well, they seem very flickery when doing graphics and circles are not complete or have curly ends to them but not to bad when doing beams etc. not bad as starting point if you don't want to build one.
    The RGB one has the same set of scanners but I have now got from Gary a set of 30kpps scanners and amps, which look like the ones on the Laserpic website, just waiting for my new PSU.

If the 190mw one is the same as I have and looks like its in a case from a modern day "Scanner" light fixture, then it does not have any glass at the front to protect the scanner mirrors from anything being pushed in there.

I have not used them in ernest yet just played around with them as I have been busy with other things. The built in shows, some are OK but most are pretty naff and they do not last long enough if used in stand alone mode. Via dmx you can choose what show you want and for how long etc so a bit more practical, but no substitute for using a computer and a DAC to drive the laser.

I was pleased with both when I first got them because I did not know any better but honestly knowing what I know now from what I have read on the PL forum I would not buy but attempt to build my own or go for a better specced pre-built laser. If you can get them or someone to tune it properly or even replace the galvos etc then maybe.

Onge
    Last edited by Onge; 08-11-2008 at 09:52.

Thanks Onge.

I found them on ebay after you mentioned it and emailed the seller. Its seems scan speed is 10kps with only a 30 degree scan angle and 3mrad divergance. Diode life is only 5,000hrs.

It looked quite a good buy at 1st but based on what you're saying about the graphics, I think I might give it a miss. Some of the SHINP lasers don't perform badly and for £90 or so you can get one on ebay. Trade off is you lose IDLA control.

I wonder if anyone here has bought a CS-400RGY off Laserworld?

Essentially the same projector body but 400mw and claims 20kps scan speed. I'm wondering if theyre also made by Laserpic and if quality is similar also. Might start another thread!

Hi Guys,

First post on the forum so hello all.
    Just to ask if there was any opinion on this 1000mw RGY, also from Laser Know How / NRG:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NRG-1000mW-RGY...742.m153.l1262

I am quite tempted. I have emailed the seller to ask for the power ratings for the R & G diodes. I appreciate I might be able to get slightly better by constructing myself but I don't really have the time right now. Any feedback appreciated!

Best,

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by krusada View Post
    Hi Guys,

First post on the forum so hello all.
    Just to ask if there was any opinion on this 1000mw RGY, also from Laser Know How / NRG:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NRG-1000mW-RGY...742.m153.l1262

I am quite tempted. I have emailed the seller to ask for the power ratings for the R & G diodes. I appreciate I might be able to get slightly better by constructing myself but I don't really have the time right now. Any feedback appreciated!

Best,

Jamie
    Welcome krusada to PL.

Can't access that link anymore and his shop has no products.

I have spoken to Gary of Laser Know How (NRG) many times via e-mail and he seems a straight up guy.
    I am sure Gary will come back to you at let you know the ratings of the lasers, assuming that he still has them and is still selling them.

As stated above I bought from him an RGB system only 350mw ( it was a sample model he obtained but I got it at a rock bottom price ) but the scanners etc are only 10K or 12K, but I have obtained from him a set of LP30s (the new ones), amps and power suppy etc and all associated cabling/hardware. All for free because I helped him out with a bit of customer support for him.
    I have not got around to fitting them yet as the galvo mount is a short one compared to the original which was tall. Also mounted to flimsy metal base and not on the alu plate.
    It looks as if I am going to have to rebuild it completely as not enough space on the raid alu platform to put the galvo block (it is all very tight in there and would also need to make space for the 2 new amps and larger power supply on the lower deck. So I think it will be better to start again. I will get myself some of those lovely adjustable dichro mounts and new dichros (most probably from laserwave.co.uk) and some other assorted pieces. Obtaining the metal and building the new case will not be a problem as I work in an engineering company and can get it all for free (well not the alu plate, will have to pay for that) I will get it cut by laser and folded at work, so should look very professional.
    When I start the project I will create a new post and obviously put up loads of pictures etc. (as I know you all love pictures ).

But as I stated also knowing everything I have learned from PL I would build my own laser system and not buy one unless I was very flush and wanted something special like some of the MediaLas products

Onge (André)
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Thanks for getting back to me André.

I did get a message back from Gary and I believe he quoted 200mw green, 600mw red minimum, likely 10-15% greater 5000hrs. Its a 15k scan apparently.

I have received other advice that generally "you get what you pay for" with lasers - of course this came from a chap that had spent £8k on laser equipment. For me the real issue is "will I get £650 worth of entertainment" out of it, rather than "is this the best laser money can buy and will last indefinitely".

I appreciate your advice re: "building my own" but, having had a look round it strikes me as very unlikely I would be able to meet that spec for £650 even if I built it myself. A decent slab of tooling plate aluminium will run to £50 alone! If you have any pointers to sellers of affordable parts I would appreciate the info.

again, thanks for getting back to me!

Jamie

I think it depends in part what you want it for.

15K is probably a bit slow for graphics and may cause flicker and there's no mention of scan angle. If its narrow you might find you need to run them even slower to get a decent angle. On the other hand, its probably fine for beams shows. Most people on here tend to aim for 25K as a minimum as 30K is the usual graphics speed for most ILDA animations and a good set of 25K's will just about cut it.

The lasers are TTL which means you have no control over the power output, they're either on or off. However, that isn't unusual at this price point.

Laser life is a little short at 5,000 hours, 10,000 is more typical but then again even 5,000 is still some usage.

As for the internal build quality, as I've never seen one I can't comment.

You will get better by building your own but as always its money. I had to gone down the pre-built route for that reason as I couldn't build for the cost that I bought at.

BTW what's your proposed usage? Is there any reason for wanting 1W?

Hi White-Light,

Thanks for getting back to me. My main motivation is probably beam effects rather than graphics as I hope to integrate with a DMX lighting show. I run a club night in Oxford at a medium sized venue (capacity 450) and in the past a friend has brought along his (expensive, British made) 1w green laser. This, I think in both our views, was arguably a bit too powerful for the venue but given the RGY is 600mw red, 200mw green I thought this might be a bit more appropriate.

It is, of course, very hard to quantify "I want a good effect but not to overdo it" but I can say that our event has quite a bit of ambient light - main room has 10+ optikinetics 250w projectors, four 150w discharge effects etc so it is relatively bright in there...

best,

jamie

Hi Jamie,

Others on here have far more experience on this subject than me but I think there are really 2 things to quantify:

1. Are you planning on overhead use or audience scanning? (There are some serious safety considerations if the latter).

2. I don't think anyone would argue that the best way to use lasers is with the other lighting turned off or down. That said, many do use them with ambient light as well, but as you already realise, other lighting may detract from the lasers.

I have two of the 190mW NRG RGY lasers, I only paid £175 (averaged) each for them and at that price I really can't knock them at all.

They are pretty much as specification, the 10K scanners are a bit slow for text or graphics though many abstracts are perfectly acceptable, they're fine for simple beam effects. I've been using them with Moncha Lite which is limited to 12K anyway.

I was quite impressed by the Health and Safety Guidelines and documentation that was supplied, as well as the presence of a scan fail protection board which seems to be pretty effective, and a safety interlock.

I bought them as an easy alternative to any of the big homemade projects I have for use at parties, they are tiny (I can fit it in the back of my laptop bag!).

I couldn't build them at this price, and really can't fault them for convenient budget fun!