Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UK meet a big disapointment

If you only have 3 lasers and each one is driven by an 8 bit (0 to 255) DAC, then you have 24 bit color (3 * 8 = 24).

On the other hand, if you have a predefined palette of 256 or less colors and you choose the color with only one byte, you have 8 bit color.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    If you only have 3 lasers and each one is driven by an 8 bit (0 to 255) DAC, then you have 24 bit color (3 * 8 = 24).

On the other hand, if you have a predefined palette of 256 or less colors and you choose the color with only one byte, you have 8 bit color.

James.
    Oh, I see what you're saying. Well then for most, yeah, "24bit", but if you have an ion, as Rob on another thread has found out, you can get even more with some or all of the 6 color lines. So what would that be? "48bit"?

Sort-of, yes. But you have to take into consideration that lines that are between other lines don't give you much in the way of "new" colors. Like Yellow, for example. It sits between red and green. That pure yellow line might look more saturated, but it's still yellow and can be made by mixing red and green. Violet, on the other hand, is above blue. That is a "new" color that can not be accurately synthesized with red and blue.

But, on an analog modulated solid state RGB system, you only have those three lines. In theory, you should be able to hook up a 5 VDC source with a potentiometer to each laser mod input and dial up every possible color within that RGB gamut. That's not any bit color. It's true analog RGB; kinda' like good old color TV broadcast use to be.

As far as apparent intensity goes, that's a matter of energy delivered over time. The less time the laser is blank and the more it is fully lit, the brighter it will appear.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-11-2008 at 13:21.

Well done Karl and welcome to the club. I love the analogy of the platform game - never thought of it like that but you are right and I know that one of those secret levels ahead contains a 447nm Blue laser

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hahaha, when I first read the topic I thought someone had gone to the wrong venue or something

Nice to hear the improvement. I havent tried any kind of DAC yet, so I dont know what the feeling is, but it sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    its just mystical .... everything is so smoother ..... the colours are more pastel and blend like nothing i had seen before, the visual difference is vast .....
    Thats all good Karl, but wait 'till you start finding all the sexy features in LivePro..
    And make sure you have tissues close by before firing up the winamp plugin & asteroids!

You know when you've been Pango'd

So the critical question for anyone who can't run to LD2000, how does the LD2000 package compare to the FB3 package?

Is there a visible difference in quality?

What are the differences between the two?

Also, does anyone know what the differences are going to be between the new FB3 package and the old?

New easier to use packages put the fear of god into me.

I used to use Premiere Elements 2 for video editing and good it was too with professional features like powerful image adjustments available on a right click and scrolling titles. I tried the new easier to use Premiere Elements 4 recently, and unless I missed something it was horribly simplistic - no scrolling titles I could find, no advanced image adjustments, in the end, I bought Vegas pro instead. Word of warning to Pangolin, don't lose features for ease of use, it really kills a programs appeal. Key is to combine easier steps with the advanced features to give an even better experience. Adobe lost me to Sony soley because of their feature reduction.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    And make sure you have tissues close by before firing up the winamp plugin & asteroids!
    Wise advice, p1t8ull!

I was completely blown away by the Winamp Plug-in. It's just awesome!

Karl, when you get that plug-in fired up, you'll see what we mean. Winamp Laser Visualization rules! (Be sure to try out the //linein: plug-in so you can use incoming sound on the line-in jack on your sound card to run the laser. That way you can have a completely automatic, beat-syncronized laser show to *any* sound source... Even from a DJ!) Only problem I've had with the line-in plug-in is that it doesn't seem to work with integrated sound cards that are built-in to the motherboard. (Tried it on 2 different machines and 2 laptops - no luck.) But if you have a separate sound card it works great.

Also, If you *really* want to see some awesome color blends, load up the "Gradient-Moby" beam show that comes with the LD-2000 package. Be sure you have the music to go with it. (It uses the song "Porcelin", by Moby.)

Fog up the room, turn out the lights, and watch that show. The color blending will bring tears to your eyes. Seriously... It's one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. (Put it this way: If someone wants to see my projector, and they only have time for 1 show, I play the gradient-moby show for them.)
    You know when you've been Pango'd
    Yeah, we've had quite a few people get "Pango'd" over here as a result of our Laser Enthusiast's Meetings.

I remember at the very first FLEM in Orlando: Astroguy was complaining about some noise in the projected image from his projector. He thought it was a problem with the scanners, or maybe cross-talk on the signal input wiring.

Bill Benner said nope - it's sample jitter from your controller. Then he unplugged the EasyLase USB controller that Astroguy was using and connected the projector to DZ's computer (which had a QM-2000 in it). Pow! Just like that, the image was rock stable.

Fred (Astroguy) was totally bummed out. "I feel like taking a hammer to my DAC" he said.

1 week later he bought an LD-2000 intro package!

Adam

PS: Welcome to the Pangolin club, Karl!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Also, If you *really* want to see some awesome color blends, load up the "Gradient-Moby" beam show that comes with the LD-2000 package. Be sure you have the music to go with it. (It uses the song "Porcelin", by Moby.)

Fog up the room, turn out the lights, and watch that show. The color blending will bring tears to your eyes. Seriously... It's one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. (Put it this way: If someone wants to see my projector, and they only have time for 1 show, I play the gradient-moby show for them.)

Adam... That's the exact show I played for Karl, it's a winner every time

I would love to find some other shows that use the same effects, they are just soooo beautiful.

I have to say though that at UKLEM it's the first time i've watched it whilst actually being totally immersed within the beams (audience scanning at its best ). It took on a whole new dimension when compared to just overhead beams.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Adam... That's the exact show I played for Karl, it's a winner every time
    Ahhhh... Good for you, Jeremy!

That show is almost impossible to describe. I can't say enough good things about it. It's truely amazing.
    I have to say though that at UKLEM it's the first time i've watched it whilst actually being totally immersed within the beams (audience scanning at its best ). It took on a whole new dimension when compared to just overhead beams.
    Oh man... You need to watch that show through a scrim! Place the projector on the far side of the room, put a scrim between you and the projector, and then stand on the other side of the scrim and watch the show as it fires through the scrim towards you. (Of couse you still need fog and a dark room.) The effect is incredible! It works best if the scrim is closer to you than to the projector.

Adam