Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Argon ion / Argon krypton

Default Argon ion / Argon krypton

Hello ppl!

just wondering what is the difference between the 2?

Argon Krypton =

Argon Ion=

?

thnx.
    /Rick

I think Argon Krypton can produce white light, whereas argon ion is just the blue/green frequencies. Not really sure TBH

They are both ION Lasers, *edit-"If it is a gas laser it is an ION" (not true) the only other gas laser that is a ION is HeCd*

You can have just Ar or just Kr or a mixed gas Ar+Kr='white-light'

Things is correct about the colors though.

Argon lases in the blue green spectrum and Krypton lases in the red, sort of. Krypton actually can lase in the blue also but they are usually really weak lines. Optics for a 'white light' usually just use the 647.1nm line from the Kr and the blues and greens from the Ar. (edit) I forgot about the yellow. You can get a really pretty yellow out of a ArKr.

Take a look here for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_laser

chad
    Last edited by chad; 08-12-2008 at 12:45.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    If it is a gas laser it is an ION.
    This suggests that any gas laser is an ion - which is not true. The humble He-ne is a gas lasers that is not and ion laser. Also Co2 lasers are gas but not ion.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Stanwax, you are absolutely correct. That is what you get for posting at 5 in the morning.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

what! You mean there is another 5 in the day - well you live and learn

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Question

Hi

I think this is true a ion laser is when the energy level transitions that contribute to laser action come from ions (Hens the name Ion laser)
    This is also why ion lasers require large amounts of current and and high voltage this is because of the high energy needed to excite the ionic transitions .

In a hene laser the light is produce buy electrons first hitting the helium atoms not ions this excites the atom to a higher energy state and then something happens to the neon atom and so on.
    This is the reason hene lasers require high voltage (To produce electrons ) and low current similar to co2 lasers .

(Some of this has come from the Internet but i think it is the basis of ion and non ion lasers)

if im wrong please tell me

Ben
    The glint in your eyes .....
    the warmth and the light ....
    is everything you love ...
    burning right before you ...

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    They are both ION Lasers, *edit-"If it is a gas laser it is an ION" (not true) the only other gas laser that is a ION is HeCd*

You can have just Ar or just Kr or a mixed gas Ar+Kr='white-light'

Things is correct about the colors though.

Argon lases in the blue green spectrum and Krypton lases in the red, sort of. Krypton actually can lase in the blue also but they are usually really weak lines. Optics for a 'white light' usually just use the 647.1nm line from the Kr and the blues and greens from the Ar. (edit) I forgot about the yellow. You can get a really pretty yellow out of a ArKr.

Take a look here for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_laser

chad

Ar lasers are also mixed gas, one of the gases they have is Helium ( might be neon ) as well as argon.

Edit : I can see yellow and red lines if I look at the reflection from my Ar on a CD with the beam coming towards me ( passing by my head )

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Ar lasers are also mixed gas, one of the gases they have is Helium ( might be neon ) as well as argon.

Edit : I can see yellow and red lines if I look at the reflection from my Ar on a CD with the beam coming towards me ( passing by my head )

That's weird... There shouldn't be any red or yellow lines coming from your laser. Are you sure they are lasing lines or are they just a weird light reflection?

pass it thru a prism and shine the output on white (not blue-ish white) paper
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group