Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Please! 7 Watt Coherent appraisal

So...... No guesstimates on what this thing should go for....?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    I am with you! I just started playing with these little Diode things in
    the application of laser light shows!still no comparison to the all mighty ION laser!
    Would you by chance have any links to the VFD's?
    Well, there's tons of manufacturers out there...

The one I have is by Emerson / Control Techniques... It's a Commander CDLE. http://www.controltechniques.com/

But there are literally hundreds if not thousands of manufacturers... Everyone from Westinghouse, G.E., Mitsubishi, to weird 'no-name' brands.

Here's a good primer on their operation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

I don't really feel I'm in a position to offer advice on buying them, or which brand is better than another. All I can say is to a) get a decent reputable brand and b) if you can't tell from the manuals, call the company and make sure it isn't 'too smart' and can run on less than three phase input.

Like I said, mine is a Control Techniques 35HP Commander CDLE. It works flawlessly for phase conversion. But 90% of other ones out there would probably do just as good of a job as this one.

Check eBay for them, or surplus industrial supply houses... I got mine from a company that buys/sells surplus industrial manufacturing equipment.

Brad

Oh, and this is KINDA what mine looks like... Mine is slightly larger, and cleaner, but just as green... Lol...

This pic is just one I found online, not of my actual unit.

Brad

My favorite brand of VFD would be Dan Foss or ABB. They are both easy to use and must be pretty dependable because I see them everywhere in HVAC units.

If I had to chose, I'd probably go with Dan Foss since I have fresher memory of using those. (they had really easy to use override settings, as I recall)

-Jonathan

Default rotary phase converter

if you at least have 220V (2 110V lines) you can build a rotary phase converter to run the laser, i did that to run a medical YAG laser

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Hmm lets see, t is worth about $7 incl. shipping.

Nah, it is worth ALOT. I think people would be all over this if it wasnt 3 phase, THOUGH you may be able to convert it to run on wall plugs. but you'd need a few different circuits.

Brad, Thanks for the tip. I have always wondered about doing that but never had the balls to try it.

I also wanted to try one of these for laser
    http://www.phaseperfect.com/

They come very highly recommended in the CNC world.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.