Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SELEM Highlights

Hey guys, I've been wanting to write up a nice note about how fun the event was for the past few days but have been so freakin busy! And now that I'm done with my class, I have to figure out how to get back to Jax while tropical storm Fay is sitting right on it!

I don't know exactly what to say about SELEM, it was just plain awesome. I am glad to see that everyone seemed to have such a good time. It was great to see some new faces there, as well as folks from last year. I really hope we can keep this going every year, it's a great way to share ideas and just have a good time!

Hightlights? Geez, I had plenty of them, I was really happy that the tantilum caps fixed Buffo's blue laser. It was fun to help get the Lexel 95 running, though I wish Imagelight would post the pic of the cigar thing! Fixing up James' projector was fun as well, I hate the the dichro didn't snap quite the way we wanted it to, but we got a useable piece out of it. Whitcher88's projector was awesome, I like the way he enclosed the bench. I had always thought of something similar to that design to be put on display in a museum to show the inner workings of a projector. Would make for a neat exhibit for folks right before a laser show in a planetarium! Spec's computer was neat as well, I thought we were going to be launching something into space with that setup! And as always, a huge thanks to Bill Benner for attending yet another geek fest of hobbiest! I think it's amazing that he takes time out his busy schedule to join us and share his wealth of knowledge.

For everyone else, thank you very much for helping to make SELEM II such a sucessful event! I already can't wait for SELEM III! I gotta start working on something new for next year!

Ok, you asked for it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DZ's Cigar Habit.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I wish Imagelight would post the pic of the cigar thing!
    how bout a video?

http://flecom.fragmachines.com/laser/MVI_2976-1.wmv

Cool

OMFG!!!!

How in the hell did I miss that? Damn, DZ - that was priceless!

Thanks for the video Frank!

Adam

no problem

additionally this was one of my favorite videos that i took of the event

http://flecom.fragmachines.com/laser/MVI_2955-1.wmv (~42mb WMV)

Cool

"Hell Yeah!" he says...

Hehe... It's just as much fun to watch it now as it was then. Well, almost as much fun anyway.

Adam

AWL HAIL
    Beamshows and I missed 'em :G .. fkk .. Well theres always next year.. Every year the power goes up^ .. Looked GREAT!!!
    Was there any rock played instead of that electro-jazzy stuff ...ehh ? for us old timers? Styx or Satriani or somebody?

My fav pic had to be DZ giving the BJ to the LX88 AHHH-rrgh-har haaa-ahhaaa...

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    Ok, you asked for it..

Oh Yeah!!! That pic is going on my DVD! Done! Too late! Sorry, no take backs...

[quote=steve-o;57857]

Was there any rock played instead of that electro-jazzy stuff ...ehh ? for us old timers? Styx or Satriani or somebody?

[quote]

I feel your pain, Steve-O - I'm kind of stuck in the Classic Rock era myself! I did manage to sneak in some AC/DC and Frijid Pink (an advantage of showing up with my own PA system !! )

Most of the group-effort multi-projector shows we did were done using the canned shows that came with the Pangolin LD2000 system, so very little effort was actually needed to get things synced to look GREAT (and the music selections, for the most part, really weren't too bad either!) I think next SELEM we'll probably put a little more planning into projector placement for the mult-rig shows, but I have a feeling that "synchronizing" will still rely heavily on well-timed pushes of the "Enter" key, which is quite OK by me!!

I think for my first custom laser show, I'll be relying heavily on some good ole' Classic Rock tunes - I'm pretty sure a montage of AC/DC, Rolling Stones, older Van Halen, Styx, and ELO (my first concert laser experience!) will be "seeing the light" in the near future!

Randy
    Class of '79
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Actually, one of the things I wanted to do (but we didn't have time for) is to have everyone load up the winamp plugin (or even showtime live) and then play along to whatever music is playing. The winamp plugin is sort of like cheating though, because it's already beat-syncronized. But you can still change presets and stuff to make interesting effects. Playing along with Showtime Live is more of a challenge. (It would be great if we all had LivePro! installed, but I think only 3 of us have it - Stuka, Mecheng3, and Whitcher88.)

Now, if you *really* want a syncronized show to some classic rock, then make your own! Do what I've been doing... Promise yourself that you'll have one new show for the next event. (I've been doing this since the very first FLEM, and now I have 5 Pangolin shows done, with a 6th one in progress.) It's easy enough to pass the shows around at one of these events (remember passing the thumb drive around at SELEM), so everyone can have the same show. Then it's just a matter of launching the show at the same time.

And really, if we want to get fancy we can link the computers together using the .net software from Pangolin and control them all from a single computer. There are drawbacks to this method, but it does work...

Lots of ideas for next year... Chief among them will be projector placement! (Well, and better time management I think...)

Adam