Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outdoors Housing

Quote Originally Posted by ltaudi1 View Post
    My enclosure is water tight, I cut a hole in the side of a pelican waterproof box and covered it with AR coated glass. Than fitted an aluminum base plate inside of it to do the mounting and followed up by a waterproof edison and Ethernet jack for idla. I can take some pics later of it, and have a few case's and aluminum left if any one is interested.

How do you cool it? Do you run it sealed up?

-Jonathan

Usual use is open when in doors but when the humidity outdoors is too high or chance of weather I seal her up, ill throw some pics up. Its only 150mw 532 and 200 650nm and cheap 12k chi scanners so there isn't too much heat build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Out of curiousity, has anyone done a passively cooled sealed case like the computer cases Zalman made a while back? Heavy aluminum and fins everywhere? Maybe actually have fans on the external fins, but the main body sealed? Just getting into this, so I'm not sure how much heat these things put out, but might be possible...
    See this thread

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5717

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by ltaudi1 View Post
    ill throw some pics up.
    Please do, I have to build some sort of case for mine for a christmas display next week.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

Default Projector enclosure

I had no problem finding a sheet metal fabricator a few years ago in Austin, TX who builds weatherproof enclosures for a variety of applications. He made some to my specified size, it cost <$300 as I recall. I'll try to find his name, but I am not at home right now. I looked on the web, but I think I need my files. I did not see what I am looking for.

He uses louvers to vent air (the watercan't drip into the enclosure), I specified them to be in the back so the laser fan blows out the louvers, and I specified some holes in the bottom for cables and air intake, and glued screen over them to keep the bugs out. One side is hinged to open the box, and there is a channel to remove any water that might find it's way in.

They really work! I have had them running outdoors at several venues over several weeks of operation with no problems. In fact, when it gets really cold I had to place a small space heater inside the get the MG YAG up to its minimum temperature.

I found a pic of one in action - see the attachment (if I did it right!)

- Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enclosure.jpg  

I would guess these would have some kind of window demisters? Or is that handled by the temperature controlled insides etc ?

It was not an issue.

Default Found the guy

Ha! I found the fabricator of weatherproof enclosures for all who are interested:

Weatherall Enclosures
    Gary D. Williamson, President
    11025 Signal Hill Drive, Austin, TX 78737
    Remit: P.O. Box 90068, Austin, TX 78709-0068
    (512) 251-7139 (office) * (512) 914-7380 (cell) * (512) 251-3136 (fax)
    www.weatherallenclosures.com

He was very helpfull and took the drawing of where I wanted the window, the louvers and air intakes, cable holes, etc., and which way the door needed to open, and turned it into a very nice sheet metal enclosure.

- Tim Walsh

WOW! Those are nice enclosures Tim, I am wondering if they have any insulation at all on them?

I know that there is rigid blue house insulation foam which does really well for insulating things. It comes in any size and is really cheap.

Has anyone thought of an underwater projector? That would be really cool especially if you can align it so it will reflect off the water surface. I think that would be a really cool effect! Don't know how it would work going from air to glass to water, you might get a lot of losses.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Laser Warning Underwater lasers

No, there is no insulation with the enclosure, just the metal.

I saw a Melles Griot demo at ILDA about 10 years ago, they ran their new (at the time) 3W green laser underwater in an aquarium to show how it was hermetically sealed. I was impressed! Or course, the PS was outside and dry.

LaserAnimation Sollinger has a fiber fed Accurate projector designed to be out in the weather, I bet it would work underwater also. http://www.laseranimation.com/products/pr_frame_e.html

- Tim