View Poll Results: Do u think a simple well explained step by step guide for new builders would be good?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can prevent dangerous and expensive mistakes and help the build

29 72.50%
  • No, laser building should remain a mystery and the danger to eyes is part of the fun

11 27.50%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: How to build thread

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Ok - here's the direct link to the document that Bill released at SELEM 2008. After I scanned it I saw that the .pdf was only 6.5 megs, so rather than putting it on the ftp server I just uploaded it to the PhotonLexicon Gallery.

So go grab yourself a copy! (Now someone tell me why my lawnmower won't start and I'll be happy again...)

Adam
    Hey Adam,
    Thanks a lot!

You should forget the lawnmower and batten down the hatches for the (3) hurricanes heading our way -or- take the cruise -- I think I'd choose the latter if they can outrun the storms imho-- Damn, a cruise-- sounds like fun.. can we all join you?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    You should forget the lawnmower and batten down the hatches for the (3) hurricanes heading our way -or- take the cruise -- I think I'd choose the latter if they can outrun the storms imho-- Damn, a cruise-- sounds like fun.. can we all join you?
    It could be good fun. Imagine all going, taking the lasers and then taking over the ball room for the duration of the cruise, it could be like Selem all over again! Mind you, I'd personally kill the 1st person to do a show to "We are sailing!".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    You should forget the lawnmower and batten down the hatches
    Well, I've got to get the grass cut before the storm hits. Otherwise it will be another week before things dry out enough for me to cut it, and by then I'll need a machete to get through my yard!

Good news is I figured out what was wrong with the mower. Got a new carb on the way to fix it. Should be here tomorrow.
    Damn, a cruise-- sounds like fun.. can we all join you?
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    It could be good fun. Imagine all going, taking the lasers and then taking over the ball room for the duration of the cruise, it could be like Selem all over again!
    You all could certainly have come along, and it *is* a laser cruise. Well, sort of. This year ILDA is holding it's annual meeting on a cruise ship. It's a 5 day cruise leaving out of Miami with 3 port calls: Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. Interior cabins were just $349 per person (based on double occupancy). The whole damn cruise (including taxes, port fees, fuel surcharges, and all tips PREPAID) is only costing me a total of $960. (Yeah, that covers me and my wife!) The only thing extra we have to pay for is booze, excursions, and souvenirs. (Details here.)

Oh yeah, and there is a "Lase-off" that will be held on-board... This is where ILDA members bring their best original shows and have a competition to see who has the coolest show. And yeah, you don't have to be a member of ILDA to see the show. Plus they're having a Pangolin user's group meeting on-board. So it's sort of like a mini-SELEM on a cruise ship. Except I won't be bringing any equipment.

Only problem is that it leaves on Monday, Sept 8th, which is right about the time that Hurricane Ike is predicted to be in the Bahamas. We'll see I guess. (Worst case, they will divert to other ports of call.)

Adam

You should show the Laser Titanic show that is on the Moncha website. That would be a hoot.

Only problem is that we might be sailing into a storm. If someone played that show and then later in the night something happened to the ship, I think they'd want to lynch all the laserists!

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to the cruise. I need a vacation - big time!

Adam

So how did you end up on the cruise? I knew about the cruise because I am an ILDA member but I don't think I ever saw any information posted about it elsewhere. Have a good time!

Cool

Clandestiny and I talked about it back in late May. A couple days later I spoke to Hayden about it, and the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I told my wife about it and she loved the idea (she likes cruises!), so we went ahead and signed up around the 1st of June.

I spoke to several other PL members about the cruise at that time, but no one else could manage to get the time off to go. It sure is one hell of a deal though. The last cruise I went on cost me $1295 per person for just the cabin (same class of cabin - interior stateroom), not counting tips, taxes, or fees. That was for a 7 day cruise with 1 more port call than this one.

Adam

I found a short template on a build...

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    To: Builders of RGB projectors
    Re: Thoughts on projector design, ONE way to do it !

In that my RGB Projector#1 is nearing completion… I would like to offer some thoughts I have on projector design. Let’s first state that any of us….which would undertake such a project, are truly designing and building as we go. For most, this will be the first projector…and maybe the last !!! For some….there will be future iterations !!! For others…..”NEVER AGAIN” may be the order of the day !!
    It begs the question….Why would you build another ??? More Power ? Converting to DI Blue or 635 Red ? Better optics ? Better optic layout ? Additional colors ? More compact design ? Adding safety features ? Improved Beam Table rigidity ? Additional Fans or fan monitoring ? New scanners ? New software ? …..and a dozen other things I have failed to mention !! So there then….many, many reasons why the current projector might need to be replaced by the next generation.
    But, is it efficient to start ALL over ???? If the design of the first unit could be such that….Modifications / additions are considered IMPORTANT…right from the start and are assumed as issues that WILL happen…..then design / build with this in mind !!! Have maximum flexibility as a core value …not an after thought.
    Starting with the above philosophy…ONE way to arrive at maximum flexibility is a multi-level adjustable stacked design. By this I mean a series of levels or plates, at least (2) two, with the levels being connected by (4) four SS 3/8” (10mm) allthread rods. The levels could be 3/8” (10mm) plain Aluminum plate. OR…the levels could be ¼’ (6mm) plain Aluminum plate with square aluminum bar stock secured to the perimeter to achieve acceptable rigidity. The levels are secured with SS nuts, one atop the each level and one below each level…going up/down on the allthread rods, at the (4) corners of the layout. I do not think pre-drilled / pre-tapped holes are at all useful ! Drill and tap as needed !
    This approach achieves several goals ; Keeps the Optics isolated from all other components, Keeps the Optics on top where adjustments and cleaning can be done, Minimizes the projector footprint, and lastly, Provides complete flexibility in selecting level-to-level dimension. I look at it like a “ Post and Beam” style construct….Frame + cover. The advantage of adjustable levels comes into play in (2) two ways… as you build…the distance between levels can be driven by the various components and you can adjust as required, and…if (read when ) later modification is desirable…..you can adjust the level-to-level distance to suit… whatever your new additions need !
    During the construction…..as the various components arrive, I started laying them out….and moving things around. Yes….I know….rather basic…no Cad/Cam, no 3D renderings….just “ movin the furniture around” fun !!! For me….this was the best way…..to “ fit“ the various components together. I do CAD….but the time you need to do a good job….covering ALL the details…Forgetaboutit !! My Projector#1 uses a 12 ½” ( 317.5mm ) deep by 14 ½” (368.3mm) per level dimension. There are (3) three, ¼”levels, with the upper and lower level having ½” (12.7mm) Aluminum bar stock bolted to the perimeter.
    Lower level has Laser PS’s(3), Scanner PS, (2) fans, Fan monitor, PLC thermal controllers and power control sub-assembly…. And many, many terminal strips. The middle level has the 12vdc PS, ILDA input sub-assembly, (2) two SSR, (2) fans and Scanner amps. The upper level has RGB lasers, Dichros. Bounce mirror,and Scanner atop…and bolted to the underside TE/fan units and Laser drivers (2).
    As of this time, I have yet to cover/skin Projector#1. The (4) four allthread rods will then provide the top cover support and secure points. I have no shutter, but have room for one.. The (1) one downside I see to this construct is the need to connect the various levels with power/control wires. ALL terminal strip connections should be kept at the perimeter….so the unit can be takes apart, level by level…in an orderly fashion and you have easy access to break/make the connections. I suppose…the other downside is the need to replace cover plates….should your projector grow in vertical dimension !!!!
    I have given projector layout / design a fair amount of thought !!! Perhaps I am bias because THAT is the way my build is…mmmmm???? Maybe ?? but the above argument seems to be grounded in flexible engineering concepts !!! You may have noticed that….I have and do identify my projector as “ Projector#1”….this would imply the likelihood of a sequel….viz…” Projector#2”….You damm betcha !!! Building the first one was very rewarding….it is likely, that someday…I will do another !!! or...if maybe, modify Projector#1...with a flexible design, this is not as big a deal !!
    Have fun !!! Enjoy your build !!! Be careful !!! Watch your eyes !! …+/- does NOT =….-/+ !!!
    Note: I will put more pics in my gallery within the next several days !
    CDBEAM
    Ventre a` Terre

What about laser design theory and general operations? Like the explanation of cavity arrangement, pumping issues, thermal lensing compensation, mode volume of specific crystals and related efficiency tables, A/R and H/R coatings in depth. This may be a bit more than can be done in a couple of years but it should go towards aiding in the understanding of laser fundamentals for those who want to DIY out in the world. It should be backed with sound, logical and proven tactics used to construct a laser of any type. There may be patent infringement issue here....maybe not-so-good idea. There is a way to create RGB with one common pump source....532-457-658nm respectively. I did not say it was easy or the optics cheap. Sort of a laser-wiki?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich