View Poll Results: Do u think a simple well explained step by step guide for new builders would be good?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can prevent dangerous and expensive mistakes and help the build

29 72.50%
  • No, laser building should remain a mystery and the danger to eyes is part of the fun

11 27.50%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build thread

Default How to build thread

How about a step by step comprehensive guide on how to build a projector right from the planning stage to the display stage?

I've googled how to build a laser projector but failed to find a comprehensive and well explained guide on how to do it. There should be a "How to Build a Laser Projector Guide for Dummies" with step by step simple explanations and pics.

Most REAL laserists have started from baby steps.He Ne laser to simple bounce mirrors,and worked up there knowledge step by step.
    You can buy a race car but can you drive it? But if you built a race car
    more than likely you can drive it!
    Experiance is king in this business!Best to learn beam paths,safety
    and take small steps just my .02

Problem is without instructions you can make a lot of dangerous and expensive mistakes, lets face it, it doesn't neeed much laser power to damage a retina. Far better in my opinion to provide a step by step guide to projector building and include in that safety warnings and tips and recommend saftey items such as goggles where necessary. That way no one gets lost knowing what to do next, and dangerous mistakes are avoided by all but the foolhardy who fail to heed the warnings.

i actually think its a good idea to a point.

HOWEVER-

99.9% of the info is already on this forum. and whats good about that is that when you spend time researching it and reading others peoples experiences and advice, you end up learning a HELL OF A LOT more.

unfortunately, ESPECIALLY in this business, mistakes will be made. we ALL have fried power supplies. or diodes. or got burnt, or...ahem....stripped wires with our teeth while the power was still plugged in...ahem, cough cough...(sound familiar anyone?)

and there really is no "step by step guide" to how to build a laser projector. i think a general guide may be a good idea. but there really is no definitive way on how to build a laser projector step by step.

not to mention, if there WAS such a guide, it would be pages and pages and pages long.

my suggestion (and most everybody elses probably) will be to do as much research here on your own. not becasue we dont want to help you. in fact we all love helping as much as we can. but one of the most valuable tools you will gain from this forum is the vast knowledge of information and details involved in these pages.

reading others peoples experinces and successes and mistakes and triumphs will help you IMMENSELY. and of course, when you get stuck, we all will help you out.

if you have specific questions to get you started, feel free to ask.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i actually think its a good idea to a point.

HOWEVER-

99.9% of the info is already on this forum. and whats good about that is that when you spend time researching it and reading others peoples experiences and advice, you end up learning a HELL OF A LOT more.

unfortunately, ESPECIALLY in this business, mistakes will be made. we ALL have fried power supplies. or diodes. or got burnt, or...ahem....stripped wires with our teeth while the power was still plugged in...ahem, cough cough...(sound familiar anyone?)

and there really is no "step by step guide" to how to build a laser projector. i think a general guide may be a good idea. but there really is no definitive way on how to build a laser projector step by step.

not to mention, if there WAS such a guide, it would be pages and pages and pages long.

my suggestion (and most everybody elses probably) will be to do as much research here on your own. not becasue we dont want to help you. in fact we all love helping as much as we can. but one of the most valuable tools you will gain from this forum is the vast knowledge of information and details involved in these pages.

reading others peoples experinces and successes and mistakes and triumphs will help you IMMENSELY. and of course, when you get stuck, we all will help you out.

if you have specific questions to get you started, feel free to ask.

-Marc
    great post!
    This Forum is full of great information,I still learn new things every day here!
    I have been building projectors since the mid 80's,
    and if I have question i bring it up,,,and guess what? many very smart answers flood back!

Lightbulb

There was soemthing of a guide made... and handed out, hardcopy only, at SELEM, day 2. Sorry Marc... I just counted, 17 pages. Thanks Bill!
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    There was soemthing of a guide made... and handed out, hardcopy only, at SELEM, day 2. Sorry Marc... I just counted, 17 pages. Thanks Bill!
    According to Bill, he's going to put some finishing touches on that and probably make it available in one way or another in digital format soon. It's a guide to projector wiring.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    we ALL have fried power supplies. or diodes. or got burnt, or...ahem....stripped wires with our teeth while the power was still plugged in...ahem, cough cough...(sound familiar anyone?)
    Aww hell. I may as well 'fess up to it now, because all you have to do is search the forums and you'll find the thread where I admitted it. And yeah, it hurts every bit as much as you might think... Worse, even.
    there really is no "step by step guide" to how to build a laser projector. i think a general guide may be a good idea. but there really is no definitive way on how to build a laser projector step by step.
    I completely agree. There are several different layouts to choose from, different power supply schemes, different optics... Hell, each and every one of the projectors we had at SELEM was slightly different.
    if there WAS such a guide, it would be pages and pages and pages long.
    And still would only cover *one* specific layout.
    my suggestion (and most everybody elses probably) will be to do as much research here on your own.
    Yep. I agree 100%.
    not becasue we dont want to help you. in fact we all love helping as much as we can. but one of the most valuable tools you will gain from this forum is the vast knowledge of information and details involved in these pages.
    Exactly. Research the project and then ask questions. We're all here to help.

So, RGBlaserFan....

To get you started, what do you want to do with your projector? Are you interested in just beams, or do you want to do graphics as well? (This will determine what sort of scanners you'll need.) Will you be running the projector in your living room, in a large garage, or in a larger space? (This will help determine your optical power requirements.) Are you the artistic type, or would you prefer to use pre-made frame files? (This is a factor in choosing your control software.) And what sort of budget do you have? (This will likely be the most limiting factor.)

Adam

Adam

I've PM'd RGBlaserfan as he lives just down the road (probably 35 miles ish) from me. Hopefully he'll take my advice and decide to build his own projector from scratch. I've pointed out that he's in the best place to get all the help he needs for his project, and also that it's best to start simple and learn little by little.

Hopefully he'll take my advice to do a self build as it's much more fun and the best way to learn.

Treat him gently guys he's a good yorkshire lad

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

i think just looking at all the many thread here of peoples builds you get a very good idea of how the scanner can be laid out.

digging through and searching all the threads is a big part of the fun imo!

as said above you learn more that way too.
    -Josh