View Poll Results: Do u think a simple well explained step by step guide for new builders would be good?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can prevent dangerous and expensive mistakes and help the build

29 72.50%
  • No, laser building should remain a mystery and the danger to eyes is part of the fun

11 27.50%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: How to build thread

I think its a very good idea to have a how to build thread.
    Especially because of safety issues and also there is tons of information on pl but to find the right information can be very time consuming.
    Also i have seen some beautiful projectors with a quality thats almost or even better then bought ones but also some realy crappy ones.
    Its very handy to have a thread that gives you the information so that your projector is working properly and safe. I know that many among us want to build it in the same quality as a professional one but to find the right materials and sources that you like can be very hard. Now after a year i finallly know how to build a quality projector for a reasonable amount of money.
    So in my opinion start the Thread

Talking Build manual:

Step 1. Be prepared to spend ALLOT of money, else quit now!

Step 2. Read photonlexicon

Step 3. Repeat step 2

When they come out with a cheap 1 Watt white-light diode.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post

Step 3. Repeat step 2
    That is right

And if you do a search, you will find many threads about how to build a scanner.
    Including MY DIY thread from the beginning to the end

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post

Step 3. Repeat step 2
    04 INPUT "how much is this going to cost?",A$
    05 IF INPUT = A$ THEN GOTO 06
    06 PRINT "Multiply what you budgeted by 10, then double"
    07 PRINT "Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!"
    08 GOTO 06
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Default Asymptotic Projector Build

Hello....from the builder of the " Never quite done projector build project " Well I finely have it all together....After a month of chasing down some grounding issues....for which I have done a " work around " vs. actually removing the root cause.... I am ready to plug in the LD 2000 and swing the beam. The grounding problem has something to do with the Maxyz modules…I am still working on it ?????
    My projector build has been a VERY long road...indeed!!! But has been a true pleasure....likely the reason for the extended build time...no hurries. Will I build another.....mmmm??? It will be that...or a Kvant ???....depends…. Oh...by the way...an asymptotic curve is a line that approaches a curve…but never reaches….or a projector build that approaches completion…but never quite reaches being done.
    I would venture a guess that others who have built there own projector …possibly many feel the same way. Will it ever be done…nah….there will always be the “ March of Technology “ …that will render some portion of the build…OBSOLETE… I guess it comes down to what really gives you satisfaction…balanced against limited time and limited money….For now….Yahoo…I’m done…”stick a fork in it” !! and “close enough for jazz”
    You could say that PL is a “Common ground / watering hole” for many with diverse satisfaction elements…Those who enjoy the build, the programming, the optics, the electronics…and those that really enjoy the aspect of artistic expression with vector graphics as their media !!!
    Who knows what the future will give us ??? Really inexpensive 442nm DI or much increased PO at 635nm DI with 2mm beam diameter…and who can predict what will be available to our group concerning beam control from the fine group at Pangolin….OR other grass roots areas. Innovation has no loyalty to the big or smallest one man Tinkerer !!! I would love to see a white light 5W diode…but that violates our known laws of physics….not in this universe ??? Never say never ????mmmm????
    In closing…I would say I would change some things…such as:
    1) Stretch out my table by about 2” ( 50mm). I do have enough room to insert a shutter…BUT…my x/y scanner head is rather close to my left forward 3/8” rod upright… Oh Crap !!! hopefully the beam spread at that close proximity is limited….or else…that upright will get cut like a fine Christmas Tree..
    2) I started out with the concept that ALL three lasers would NOT need the ability for movement once mounted to the beam table…WRONG…..I would NOW say that to achieve close to perfect “ near field alignment “ BOTH Lasers AND Dichromatic Mirror mounts demand flexibility in their mounting concept. This means that instead of tap machining after VERY careful layout…forget it !!! Go with somewhat oversized holes in the optical plate…and a large SS washer + bolt. This gives flexibility…where you really need it !!! You can always mount an additional small locator plate to further secure the mirror mounts…or lasers for that matter…
    3) Likely have ALL the aluminum decks/levels (Three of them ) anodized. Bare aluminum looks real good with a minor application of fine steel wool…..but that fades / oxidizes in time…to a kinda dull …less than shinny silver !!

Overall…I remain a solid supporter of a multi-level design…and think that three (3) levels is the best number of levels to organize everything….but….some like a three story house…some like a ranch…both have some advantage….but I prefer the Tri-Level. Next build I will go with a 442nm D1 AND the best optics 635nm I can afford….but for now…I am ready to dive into the artistic aspect of things !!! I will be posting some more pics in the gallery in the next few days.
    Sincere Holiday wishes to all…
    CDBEAM ( Bob) and his dog…Terra ( Watt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails asymptote.gif  

Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Exclamation

BOB!!! Quit disappearing! You got to check out my shows; once you get rid of your issues.

Default Ooooo La La

I will.....Eat iz time for zee Mad Arteeste to ave a go at eat !!!! hahahahahahahahahahaha
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !