Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Laser blinds passenger jet pilot"

The websites that advertise these 500mW pointers say that they are great for 'burning things'! (you retina for example...)

Typical Chav, this is what Britain has sunk to.

(Chav: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav)

I don't think high power pointers are available in the Uk (they were banned in 1997 I think following a spate of driver targetting incidents) so it was most probably a 5mw device or less device - the UK media traditionally have a tendancy to blow injuries out of proportion in my opinion, (although in this case it sounds reasonable), as do those on the receiving end of these things.

I still remember in around 1999, someone was sent to jail for "blinding" a bus driver with a 5mw device a from considerable distance, a momentary glance from over a quarter of a mile I think, and there was a big who ha in the press about the driver being permanently blind, if I remember correctly, he claimed blindness and took 2 weeks off work, only to be "cured" again at the end of it.

It was only sometime afterwards that optholmists publically decided that a 5mw pointer was unlikely to cause any eye damage from that distance unless you deliberately stared down it as a static beam and ignored the aversion response and the whole panic about low powered laser pointers died down.

That said, whereas I might be trivalising the presses injury claims often associated with low power pointer incidents, I'm not trivalising what the guy has done. To shine even a bright torch into the eyes of a pilot or bus driver, nevermind a laser is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do as the distraction or temporary loss of night vision might be enough to cause an accident and especially with a public service pilot / driver you're risking hundreds of lives not just the driver (which is bad enough).

The situation in America is far worse where you have high power pointers.

I have to say that personally I think high power pointers should be banned globally. All pointers have no use other than for pointing at white boards and aligning laser assemblies or if used in non pointer form for gun sights (something which can be done with low power anyway as hunters only need a spot not a beam). The only real use for high power pointers is bursting balloons, burning tape or paper and dazzling animals and people.
    Last edited by White-Light; 08-22-2008 at 00:53.

The only thing I like to use my pointer for is big fat spiders which think crawling along my wall is a good laugh.
    (Don’t worry I don't burn them, just pretend they have been targeted by aliens waiting to abduct them which usually gets them moving again)
    Seriously though, how common is it people get blinded by a laser. Moreover how common is it people get into fights after a football match? How many people die of smocking. It's competently out of proportion, simply because, like drugs, lasers are fun, but can have bad side effects. :-)
    Graham
    Last edited by laserLips; 08-22-2008 at 01:06. Reason: Poor spelling

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    ...How many people die of smocking...
    People die of Smocking !?!

I never realised it was that dangerous !!
    What a world we live in ...........

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    People die of Smocking !?!

I never realised it was that dangerous !!
    What a world we live in ...........
    I don't know there are some bad ass smocks around if you ask me:

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Steady on chap.
    I think you should post all pics from the latest SELEM in the one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    I don't know there are some bad ass smocks around if you ask me:

LOLOLOL sorry, I spell checked it but Word must have recognised smocking as a real world, which is obviously is.

It did look wrong to me though.

I guess what I meant to say was that putting a high powered laser in a tiny device that can be hidden in a pocket AND marketing that thing to anyone and everyone is REALLY not a good idea. Take a look at it like this. The parts could be marketed to those people who know enough about what they are doing and have a legitimate need or desire to assemble a working device.

It's kind-of like that great episode of Ren & Stimpy "Space Madness" with the "History Eraser Button".... Stimpy just HAD to push it!

Another thing is that some of these things are not well made at all! They rattle when you shake them, the power goes from next to nothing to full blast. The push buttons are flakey. How'd you like to have a 500mW laser in your pocket that just comes on with no warning? Or maybe while you're looking at the lens?

James.

PS It's not the smock that kills. It's the smocker!
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-22-2008 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    PS It's not the smock that kills. It's the smocker!
    Hehehe...yeah yeah yeah