Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Laser blinds passenger jet pilot"

Exclamation "Laser blinds passenger jet pilot"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7568645.stm

I didn't see this until today. I swear this sort of thing really *is* becoming a media hot-topic.

-Jonathan

Thumbs down

He must have gotten fired on his day off... How do these people arrive at the thought, "This seems like a good idea..."
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    ...How do these people arrive at the thought, "This seems like a good idea..."
    News items such as this, perhaps.

OH CRAP!!!!!! More frownies!!!!

This is about as close to me as ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh crap!!!!!!!!

At least this a-hole was dumb enough......... No. I'm not going to even say that for fear of........

GAWD, what an idiot!!!

WE HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO MAKE SMART, RESPONSIBLE PHOTON ARTISTS LEGAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James.

what kind of a douchebag decides to point a laser at a frigging police helicopter not expecting to get arrested....

people baffle me sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaws View Post
    what kind of a douchebag decides to point a laser at a frigging police helicopter not expecting to get arrested....

people baffle me sometimes
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's a good, dumb douchebag!

geez.... Better go buy your laser pointers now. We discussed this at SELEM, the possibility of the US Government banning pointers... Which is an outrage! Where are my freedoms going?! Prosecute the criminals, don't punish the innocent...

I hate to say this, but REALLY! What good is a hand held blinder anyway? Think about it. These things have no purpose what so ever! They are just a tiny package of trouble waiting to happen. They are absolutely going to be the source of all of the bad laser publicity until they are no longer cheap, legal and common. All of us should concentrate on keeping lasers available and as well understood as possible. This is NOT helping.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    I hate to say this, but REALLY! What good is a hand held blinder anyway? Think about it. These things have no purpose what so ever!
    Thats not completely true. They are rather useful. I admit, I haven't owned a laser pointer in probably 5 years though. When I did, they were very useful in pointing things out in the sky. It was almost like working in the planetarium again! Another way they've found use in astronomy is in replacing the telrad or finderscope. Its so much easier using a scope with a pointer attached to it! The nice thing, at least in florida, is that you can get away with using less than 5mW for doing this due to the humidity. Anyone trying to point out a star in the sky with a 250mW pointer is just asking for trouble...

Default ??? Monty Python and his Flying Meatloaf ??

This was part of my post in CPF ...back in 2005:

"The potential catastrophic result of any airframe illumination by a Laser is a true concern...
    Now what does society do ??? BAN ALL LASERS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC ACCESS!!! That’ll “ put this genie back in the bottle” Sure, this could happen !!! But what’s next??? ANY distraction to airline operations, especially on the critical take-off and landing sequence, are potential targets of ground based action. One could then ban the general public from possession of ANY technology which could deliver ANY type distraction. This could include, but not limited to, Arc searchlights, class “A” fireworks/bottle rockets, Potato Spud launchers, or...how about a catapults capable of launching yesterdays left over frozen meatloaf ...to landing/take-off operational elevations. WHERE DOES IT END ????

It should end with the engagement of common sense, The Golden Rule and mature adult behavior. Too bad this cannot be “ legislated” into the laws of the land. But....… They will have to pry my laser from my cold, dead hands !!! "

So...there you have it....we must ban catapults....and frozen meatloaf !!!mmmmm ?????....on the other hand.....I do wonder why one would need a 250....to...I think you can even get a 500mw handheld ...er...ah..." Pointer "....perhaps...to impress the ladies ???? mmmm??? I think they would be just as impressed with my flying meatloaf !!!!!...maybe not ???"

And the beat go on....and so does stupid people behavior !!!!

BoB
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !