Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser to Torch

Lightbulb Laser to Torch

This Mod will work with most if not all lasers and pointers. All it really does is disperse the beam but there are many ways of doing it, here I'll list to:

-Remove the end of a pointer so that you can see the module. Next fit a small piece of lens in the end and put the end back on the pointer. I done this with the maplin key chain laser pointer that Goldmagnet has modded. It weakens the beam and spreads it out making a torch.

-This one was first posted on instructables by Shadow opps it involves a pointer with many changeable tips. Choose an unneeded tip and put a blob of glue on its tip making it as close to a perfect sphere as possible by filing it down once its dried and when you want to use the laser a s a torch just put this tip on.

If you know and methods of diffusing a laser's light for use as a torch please say.
    My friends say I'm mad , I suppose they're not wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    This Mod will work with most if not all lasers and pointers. All it really does is disperse the beam but there are many ways of doing it, here I'll list to:

-Remove the end of a pointer so that you can see the module. Next fit a small piece of lens in the end and put the end back on the pointer. I done this with the maplin key chain laser pointer that Goldmagnet has modded. It weakens the beam and spreads it out making a torch.

-This one was first posted on instructables by Shadow opps it involves a pointer with many changeable tips. Choose an unneeded tip and put a blob of glue on its tip making it as close to a perfect sphere as possible by filing it down once its dried and when you want to use the laser a s a torch just put this tip on.

If you know and methods of diffusing a laser's light for use as a torch please say.

Just one word... WHY?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Unhappy

You can also make your own 10p pieces by filing the edges off a 50p piece.
    But that would be silly.

Just like trying to make a £1 torch from a £10 laser pointer.

Cool Reason for Mod

Lets say that your lost in the woods with nothing but a pointer and a piece of glass you could:

-Use it a the torch that you dont have to find saftey

-Create a wide beam of light to help a search party find you

Its also good for portable laser shows. However I will admit that this is unlikely and if you have a module with an adjustable beam its pointless.

Lets say that your lost in the woods with nothing but a pointer and a piece of glass you could:

-Use it a the torch that you dont have to find saftey

-Create a wide beam of light to help a search party find you
    Is there a smiley for when you're absolutely p*ssing yourself laughing. OMG, my sides are aching

I'm sorry, you probably intended this as a serious posting, but there's just something about it that's hit my sense of humour head on. I'm laughing so hard I can hardly see the keyboard for the tears streaming down my cheeks.

That's two good laughs i've had today, the first from Spec in reply to James's post and now this. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Talking Jem you've hit the nail on the head

Jem, your right this was actually a joke I just wanted to see how many people I could P*** off before some smart a** like your self worked it out, who knows some dumb noob to the site might take it seriously !

Riiiiiight

Default Update to last post

This is a P*** take of this site : http://www.instructables.com/id/S13A3PRFDSEFDPW/

The guy makes OK lasers but dosn't know what to do with them !
    Last edited by Loonatic; 08-21-2008 at 06:54. Reason: spelling mistake

Jem, your right this was actually a joke
    Hmmm... It's alright saying that now, trying to defend yourself

I just wanted to see how many people I could P*** off before some smart a** like your self worked it out, who knows some dumb noob to the site might take it seriously !
    Hey, it's not often I get called smart, do you mind if I print this out and frame it?

I'm still chuckling away to myself even now

Jem

This is a P*** take of this sight : http://www.instructables.com/id/S13A3PRFDSEFDPW/

The guy makes OK lasers but dosn't know what to do with them !
    Here's an extract from the site (copyright acknowleged )

Here are some great uses for your laser:

Take it with you whenever you are hiking/backpacking/alone. There are quite a few reasons for this:
    1) If an aggressive animal approaches, the very bright light will scare it away
    2) If you get lost, this laser can shine for miles and miles (as in >100 miles!). At night, the beam is very visible. Just shine it in the sky to lead rescuers right to you.
    3) This can light matches. If you don't have strike-anywhere matches and you need to start a fire, this laser can do it!

Put it in your pocket and forget about it. Why?
    1) Let's say you are getting mugged. Or kidnapped. Or any other situation. Solution? Pull out your laser, expand the dot, and temporarily blind your attacker. And by temporarily, we mean you can blind him/her for hours. Now please note that this is highly NOT advised. You can get arrested for doing this... UNLESS it is self defense. So don't try it otherwise. There is a chance that it will PERMANENTLY blind you.

Use it for art. How?
    1) You can cut objects out of black paper with this laser. You can also "drill" (aka burn) precise holes).

Have fun. Show it off. It can pop balloons, burn electrical tape, etc.

So what other item can you fit in your pocket that can do all of these things? A Swiss-Army Knife can't stop an attacker when he/she is more than a foot or two away. But a laser can. A GPS locater can't help you if nobody is watching your signal. But a laser will attract attention from 100s of miles away.
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa OMG I can't breath for laughing HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Brilliant !!

Jem