Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Money Rules - group buys raffles etc

Default Collecting Money Rules - group buys raffles etc

My proposal - to protect us all in the long run - is that some form of rules are initiated to stop people collecting money thru the forums. I have seen it happen tooo many times over the years , in tooo many forums - people collect money and seriously its AMAZING how many people suddenly take ill or lose their internet connection or have "family problems" ...yip thats life , these things happen ....so these proposals would be to protect the group from other people "lifes" .Candlepower forums eventually put ban on some these events as so many people were having "lifes" just after the money being collected in

Does anybody care ? any comments proposals

.................................................. ........................
    GROUP BUY
    MISSING IN ACTION - 1 month
    Mliptack
    05-03-2008, 20:52
    Hello everyone. Sorry about my absence from the forums lately. I am just currently dealing with some personal issues.
    .................................................. .......................
    RAFFLE
    MISSING IN ACTION - Multiple months over six months
    Cruch - Join Date: May 2006
    Hi laserits!! I am alive!!! Thanks for the consern. I am doing fine now, got some back/neck problems. One of the vertebra has moved apart from my back when I moved some havy stuff. Moved a washing machine form Miele, and dont laph!! It hurts like hell. I have been in the hospital for the
    last cuple of month, did a surgery and still in recovery mode.
    .................................................. .....................

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Well Said Paul
    Im sure members would benefit from there rules in the long run
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Personally I think this is an over reaction.

Essentially you are accusing Cruch of being a thief and yet is there any evidence of this?

Has he failed to honour his promise to return the money to everyone?

Have you given him sufficient time?

In which case it would become a matter for the police in any event.

I agree there should be some rules on how its held and who is allowed to collect it but a total ban is a bit over the top.

I personally would like to see the admin become a trustee for any money collection as they are best in a position to publish details of who they are, their employment, and are traceable through the server hire company making it very unlikely they would default.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

We're a small group.
    All this talk of "regulation" and "rules" is OTT.
    It's all very well putting guidelines in place but ultimately we are a small group of people who have found this forum through a common interest.
    We aren't here to rip anyone off and if someone joined the forum with the intention of starting any kind of scheme whereby they want money sent to them then I guess we'd be naturally wary.

As far as asking the Admin to start collecting monies/taking responsibility etc, that's a step too far.
    They started this forum with the intention of providing a place for like minded folks to hang out, not to start acting as "banking ombudsmen" etc.

2 raffle threads have been mentioned where their smooth execution has been interrupted.
    How many successful raffles have taken place between PL members?

Let's keep it in perspective folks.

I vote for leaving things the way they are.

Red face

It`s a risk to spend money on a forum.. yes..
    But I guess that everybody that waste money on a random dude they dont know, dont use that much money so they will suffer if they loose it !

I did a collection to the admin on this forum some years ago as a Christmas gift for him.
    And I`m supprised how much money that was into my PayPal suddenly..

But everybody did trust me with no doubt.
    And spec was more than happy to recive the "Christmas-gift" from the members on the forum.
    And I dont se anything bad about doing a thing like that...
    (and for the record I still have every recipts and the transfer log from everyone)

But when it`s done, I think it should be done by someone we all trust..

About the raffle, I have meet Chruch in real life somethimes.
    And I personally know that the raffle will be a sucsess
    And as you did trust me last time, I think there should be no problem this time either.

It did all just happend on a bad time...
    But shit happens i guess..

(there may be some bad english here )

i think it is sort of a risk you have to be aware of.

but i like to think with such a small close community you can have some trust. neither of these two people have actually scammed us. so thats always good.
    -Josh

RGBLASERFAN >
    "Essentially you are accusing Cruch of being a thief and yet is there any evidence of this? Has he failed to honour his promise to return the money to everyone? Have you given him sufficient time?"

I have re-read POST ONE of this thread a few times ... no where do i see me accusing anyone of being a thief - i have asked two friends to read POST ONE of this thread - no where did they see my accusing anyone of being a thief . I feel sure it wont take long for you to realise this and apologise

Its a simple fact , if you have been around enough forums you see it over and over again - guys who have been very active members of forums suddenly dissappear as soon as some cash comes in .It seems history repeats itself over and over again and was simply pointing out its starting to happen here - and VERY rarely is the people involved out and out fraudsters or thiefs .Normally they simply underestimate the time involved to organise the project or they spend the cash on some urgent project thinking they will make replenish the funds without anyone knowing and the REAL CRIME is simply lack of communication which causes friction and frustration amongst everyone.

The kind of suggestions i was thinking was if you want to run a Money Collecting enterprise thru PL , you must promise to sign in and report and promote you thread say every three days and you need to offer someone unconnected to you a phone number and address - i kinda think this would prevent people dissappearing for months but it would not prevent out and out fraudsters , bottom line is nothing will prevent that . After all any company doing buisness here offers addresses and telephone numbers , thats your backup if anything goes wrong...... it seems when it comes to forum friends we all lose our sense of distrust and then scream once bitten twice shy when it does - somehting going wrong would put a lot of people off being involved in future events and the idea of this is PREVENTITIVE and keep us as a community and also FOCUS anybody organising such an event that they have a serious responsibility to kep people updated and DELIVER on their event .

Personally i have lost at least $200 on digital point forums in the last year and likely $1000 newsgroups/forums in the last 10/12 years .... i have seen great contibutors dissappear from forums over some silly disputes often involving money ......... the thing is digital point has phew maybe 50k + forum members , it pretty souless - losing money there is like water off a ducks back and in alot of ways to be expected. HERE i like the people here , i consider many friends and i want to see the community thrive and grow and what i SUGGESTED was a discussion on wether anyone cared enough to establish some rules to prevent future issues

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hi Paul,

Although you might not have come out and expressly said it, you very strongly implied it when you quoted him and Miltptac as examples, followed by their excuses which came across as a little sarcastically quoted when titled "Missing in Action".

I appreciate where you are coming from but would it not have been better just to say there have been 2 examples recently where delays gave rise to concern?

I personally find it a bit objectionable to name people in such a way with a very strong inference they have done something wrong when at this stage it appears all they did was fall innocently ill.

I agree there should be some precautions taken and these should be debated but when requesting these it perhaps would be nicer to use a little more tact.

However, I appreciate you probably didn't mean any offense and its very easy to come across a little strongly at times on message boards, I'm as guilty as anyone, so there's certainly no problem from my end.

I have seen it happen in other forums, too. People start off with good intentions and the money starts coming in, then later 'things' happen and the forum just doesn't seem as important anymore. It takes a push such as threads like this, but generally they will come though if they are mature.

Money sucks.

Let's keep it real.

If you don't believe in Karma and the fact that we are all connected on a plane much higher than personal wealth, then perhaps that's why you might have troubles with this stuff.

James.

PS, the name of this thread... "Collecting Money Rules - ..." I wouldn't go that far. It's nice, but it doesn't "rule".
    Last edited by James Lehman; 08-24-2008 at 14:36.