Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Custom dichro for mixing 635 nm with 660 nm

adam, sign up for a free one month trial with stamps.com

you will be able to insure cheaper first class parcels as well as priority using their own insurance which is much better and cheaper than USPS. no postal drop off is required either meaning you can shove em in your mailbox

Just out of curiosity did anyone one order an extra dichro that I could buy off of them for a premium?

Adam - that is weird, I have NEVER had problems with insuring any packages at USPS... but then again I always ship in boxes... what if you added cardboard on either side of the dichro to add some support?

Smile

Well, I broke down and re-packaged everything in boxes. Basically I used the flat Priority Mail boxes that are about the size of a VHS video cassette. Don't really see how that's going to add any more protection though, because the box is really quite flimsy. We'll see if they give me any shit about it next time. (Of course, the Post Office is closed on Monday (holiday), and I'm working late on Tuesday and Wednesday. Grrr...

George;

That's a good idea re: Stamps.com, but I have several international orders to ship, and I need to make sure I've got the customs forms filled out correctly. So I really need to be at the counter.

Adam

I just received a nice aqnd shiny... old (sn 278) unused Maxyzmodule from fulff. Fit perferct right where I had planned...

Something misssing though...

I bet you could reduce your losses a LOT by actually using a dichro instead of just air

Cool Dichros have been shipped out!

Wel no worries, Aaron - the dichros all shipped yesterday.

$144.85 postage bill! Ugh. And this was my 3rd trip to the damn post office. Took over an hour to get everything processed.

The highlight was near the end, when the guy behind the counter actually had the balls to say, "You know, if these mirror things are so small, do you think you could have put them in padded envelopes? You would have saved a lot on shipping costs that way."

I freakin' lost it right there. I said, "Yeah, I tried that - TWICE! And the woman who refused to insure the packages when they were packed that way is standing right next to you." (I then glared at the bitch that had so rudely refused me last Friday when I was there.)

Conversation stopped in the post office for a second or two (crickets), and then the guy said, "Ah, well, that's OK - this is probably better for your customers anyway". I think it embarrased him, but at that point I didn't care. I was seriously pissed, and more than a little fed up with all the time I had wasted on the whole project by that time.

Anyway, they all went out Priority Mail. (Including the International ones.) They've got delivery confirmation and Insurance for $150. ($300 for the one person that ordered 2 dichros.) Everyone should have them by next week Friday at the very latest. Aaron, yours will probably arrive today or tomorrow. (Along with Steve's, Randy's, and Mike's.)

One final bit of crazyness. The UK is something like 4000 miles away from Charleston. Postage was around $28 bucks (for a 2.6 ounce package!) Now, Australia is damn near 7000 miles away from Charleston (half-way around the frickin' world!), and yet it was 4 dollars cheaper to send the same 2.6 ounce package to Australia! That makes no damn sense whatsoever...

Enjoy the dichros guys... Post pictures when you get them set up.

Adam

Thanks Adam

Please PM me with the amount I owe you for the extras

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smile

Whoops! Forgot all about that! PM sent.

Adam

Hat's off to you and all you do for us laser nuts....it may seem to be a pain....but who else is going to do it? I think we all work together for a coherent cause.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich