Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Red

Default Buying Red

Hi all

I’m now on the final run to finishing my projector; currently it has a Green 532nm 200mW Lasever module and a 473nm 250mW Laser-wave Module.

And now I’m looking at purchasing the red module, currently I’m considering either a 400mW @ 635 or 800mW @ 650 to make white.

Having a look through the forums there is a lot of information on colour matching but I haven’t seen much on the pros and cons of using 650 or 635nm lasers, apart from the most obvious ones like price and power in relation to perceived brightness (i.e. 650nm is cheaper but you need something like 4 x the power compared to the 635nm and it’s still cheaper!)

However what I really want to know is:

1. What are the differences in the beam spec if any, Laser-wave details both 635 and 650 as having the same, so is there any advantage of either one over the other?

2. Colour perception when used for white light generation, I assume that the deeper red could be advantageous as it doesn’t have the orangey look and therefore would provide better colour rendition as it’s a “proper” red. Would this be true?

As we all seem to be chasing better beam specs when it comes to red I’m wondering what fellow member here think?

At the moment I’m leaning towards the 650nm (for one it’s cheaper although that not really a consideration in my choice) and I just feel that the deeper red would be a better choice.

Cheers all
    Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

i think your questions depends litle on what you are planing on using the colors for.

Beamshows or animations?

I like beamshows more then animations and therefore would go for the 400mW 635nm as it will be more visable.

hey loopee i just tried sending you a pm but you have pms disabled.

do you have an email or anther way i could contact you?

thanks
    -Josh

Default Hi there!

I have 1W of 650nm red in my RGB and have to say that it could be bit more visible, but at least it is proper RED as blood.

Anyway, look at bottom of this:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5074

As you should see we do booth 635 and 650, but also 640! and that maybe right path for you (it definitely will be for me in the future).Those pictures are only examles of whole range of possible powers.

hey loopee...

i would personally choose to go the 635 route. i have seen 635's next to 650's and the brightness is just beyond compare! the "orangey" look, inmy opinion is so negligible it is almost not visible. if you had the 2 on next to each other and ask even some of the most trained eyes which is a 635 and which is a 650, i bet most would have a problem identifying.

that being said, the 650's DO HAVE a little bit of a better beam profile. nothing drastic, but they are a little bit better than the flood lights of 635 lasers!

i personally will always use a 635 in my projectors. until a better beam, lower cost DPSS red is available. the power needed to balance with a 650 is just WAAAAAY too much. where as a 635 is just about 3:1 of your green.

let me know or PM me if you would like more information on the 635 reds. i have used a lot of them!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    hey loopee i just tried sending you a pm but you have pms disabled.

do you have an email or anther way i could contact you?

thanks
    I just checked and the PM's are enabled

You can email me at: loopee (at) iinet (dot) net (dot) au
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    i think your questions depends litle on what you are planing on using the colors for.

Beamshows or animations?

I like beamshows more then animations and therefore would go for the 400mW 635nm as it will be more visable.

Both really

I would take it that the 635nm would be more dynamic for beam shows but as I understand it they both have the same beam specs, so this would be a negative point for the 650nm
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

loopee

not sure if you saw my post above, but a 635 next to a 650 is going to be next to impossible to tell a difference with.

if it just comes down to which is going to look better in general, i would say go with a 635. of course, its more money, but it would probably come out about the same compared to the power difference uyou would need for 650.

just my 2 cents worth.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

well i tried pming you again but it still didnt work but thanks for the email addy.

i just sent you a message.

-Josh

Very informative. Now I ALMOST want to change my pending order with DIY-Laser-Show to 635 from 650. I have heard of and seen the difference between the two reds in other posts here at PL. This thread is very convincing though. The price difference is a real factor too. DIY-Laser-Show hass a 400mW 635 at over 900 USD but the 400-650 at only 460 bucks. Above, gottalovelasers repeats the often cited 3:1 figure for 635 to 532nm. So I look at the 300mW 635nm laser at one thousand dollars. Now, for $850 you can get 800mW of 650. Thats 8 times the 100mW power of my green I am trying to match! I think that might meet the "Waaaaaay too much" threshold and look good doing it. Analog too!
    I want a new red laser for my projector and I thought I was buying one, but Max is MIA. Bridge hinted he might be on holiday. Waiting is bad enough and now you guys have me wanting to change my order. Laser troubles.