Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How easy and how costly to add ILDA?

And I'm going to ask you how?

If I insert an image using the link from the gallery pages it inserts a box with an X in it
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

OK, If you can see any image on the web, you can right click on it (Internet Explorer) and look at its properties. There you will see its URL; like http://blah.blah.blah. Select and copy that whole thing (Click-drag to select. Right click, copy). Then, when you want it to appear as an inserted image on a PL post you make a set of tags like this

{img}paste-the-URL-here{/img}

except, you don't use curly braces, you use the square brackets.

James.

Ahh, using generic Html tags, I see (mental note, don't use insert picture button)
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Ahh, using generic Html tags, I see (mental note, don't use insert picture button)
    Sort of... Use Square brackets [...limited tag set...], not angle brackets < no >.

James.

Cool

You can also use the insert picture button and then paste the URL into the pop-up box that comes up when you click on the button. But yeah, all it does is add the img tags for you. If you're more comfortable using the HTML tags, just do it that way (and remember to include the square brackets).

As for the 20K scanners that Stuka was talking about, a brand new set of those scanners were given away as one of the door prizes at SELEM 2008. However, the guy that won them (GottaLuvLasers) doesn't have a need for yet another set of scanners, so he's selling them for $250 delivered. These scanners were the same ones I used for the review I posted (the one Stuka linked to above). The tuning has been tweaked (by me), and they've been burned in for a good 12 hours or so. They're in top shape, and a good bargain at a delivered price of $250. (Shipping from China would otherwise increase that price significantly.)

Adam

Just revisited this thread as it got away from me.

Thanks for the pics / exra explanations guys, most helpful.

I see from Loopees pic that in theory its possible to connect ILDA to any scanner even if DMX only simply by intercepting the right wires between the scanners and DMX board.

BTW, as an aside, when it comes to my display, if the laser has DMX switches on the back, is it possible to lock the "Y" plane?

I ask because if I could stop the laser scanning down by locking the Y scanning plane at 90 degrees out from the aperture, I could just mount it in the top of the car port just below roof level and get it to project parallel to the roof only with no danger of an audience scan.

Why not just set a nice brick in just the right place in front of the projector?

Who cares if you scan a brick?

James.

If you lock the “Y” plane all you’ll get is a single line that varies in length on the “X” plane.
    So really you could do a similar thing with a motor and a polygon mirror and modulate the lasers and not go the expense of a scanner set (you still need to modulate the laser/s though)
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    BTW, as an aside, when it comes to my display, if the laser has DMX switches on the back, is it possible to lock the "Y" plane?
    I think what you mean is, can you prevent the "Y" scanner from going below a certain point. If you "lock" the Y scanner, then as loopee pointed out, all you will have is a flat line.

What you want to do is MASK your projector so that any scans that go below a certain point can't exit the projector. (This is sort of what James was talking about... Put a brick in front of the bottom of the aperture and the brick will block any beams below a given plane.)

You can do this with a piece of sheet metal and a few screws. Attach it to the inside of the projector so that it blocks any beams that would otherwise exit below the horizontal. Now you can only scan from the horizontal plane upwards. If you mount the projector well above the heads of your audience, you're all set.

Just don't forget about the possibility that those beams might shoot right out from under your carport... Make sure they terminate on something safe! (And not a neighbors window!)

Adam

Thanks Adam.

Luckily the neighbour only has a very small side window (probably 18 inches wide by 2 1/2 feet high) next to us which is on a landing so I doubt anyone would be there or that it would even be affected especially as the scan would be unlikely I think to manage to hit it from that direction - too tight an angle from the scanners. To the front of the car port the nearest house is at least 100 feet away and below us so as the laser would be pointed up, it would go over them anyway. The nearest house straight out (projection blocked by facia board anyway) must be 100-150 yards away as I'm opposite a road ending. Also the Polcycarbonate on the top of the carport itself is multiwalled and smoked and reduces normal light transmission to 55%.

I'm more worried out burning holes in that than posing a danger to other households as its £100 ($200) a sheet!