Thread: Varied questions

Default Varied questions

I have a couple of questions that I need help with.

Ok heres the first one.

I want to make a liquid sky effect so will this work? (100mw bluray and 250mw red)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-lens-for-AixiZ-12X30mm-laser-modules-and-cases_W0QQitem Z120222935234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0 ?hash=item120222935234

If the problem is it would melt can somone provide me with a link to a glass one and/or a guide for one with a mirror.

I also want to make a "time tunnel" effect so could somone please link me to a good guide for it and a link for FS mirrors.

But most of all I want to make a spiro!

But I don't know where to get the parts

So can somone give me links to parts?

Are there any 5.6mm RED diodes that are .5W that are around 200USD OR LESS also I want them to be SINGLE MODE.

If there is can some-one give me a link please?

Yes the line lens would work and shouldnt melt - if it does with those power levels the ar coating is seriously poo.

The 'time tunnel' is created by drawing an elipse - the easiest way to acheive it is to put a mirror (front surface type) on the end of a motor shaft perpendicular to the shaft. (so when you look at it from the side the mirror and shaft make a 'T' shape). The chances of you gluing a mirror perfectly sqaure is very slim but the slight angle that you achieve will make the circle - you dont want it to be perfect. The steeper the angle - the larger the circle until the mirror is at 45 degrees and the circle will go right round the room at the same level as the laser dot on the mirror.
    A cheap way to achieve this is to pinch a motor from a dead CD drive - the motor that is used to open the tray is perfect and should have a plastic pulley or cog on the shaft. This helps you add your mirror as there is something to glue the mirror to. You can get away with Blu-tac as I did in my early experiments but be careful with motor speed as the mirror will fly off and you dont want a high speed glass projectile flying around the room!

Once you have this working, make a second motor 'scanner' and bounce the circle from motor 1 onto this mirror. Hey presto spiro effects. To vary the effects you need to independently control the motor speed, and its cool to be able to reverse one motor. Add a third one for more effects. The more bounces you have the less chance you have of catching all of the pattern on the next mirror as it gets progressivley large but it is possible with very shallow angle to get four motors in the chain that may not be practical if you ar edoing this for the first time. Anyhow you will have bags of fun with 2 motors

Rob

PS
    Quote Originally Posted by VioletBeam View Post
    Are there any 5.6mm RED diodes that are .5W that are around 200USD OR LESS also I want them to be SINGLE MODE.
    NO we all dream of such even for more than $200 would do!
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Yes the line lens would work and shouldnt melt - if it does with those power levels the ar coating is seriously poo.

The 'time tunnel' is created by drawing an elipse - the easiest way to acheive it is to put a mirror (front surface type) on the end of a motor shaft perpendicular to the shaft. (so when you look at it from the side the mirror and shaft make a 'T' shape). The chances of you gluing a mirror perfectly sqaure is very slim but the slight angle that you achieve will make the circle - you dont want it to be perfect. The steeper the angle - the larger the circle until the mirror is at 45 degrees and the circle will go right round the room at the same level as the laser dot on the mirror.
    A cheap way to achieve this is to pinch a motor from a dead CD drive - the motor that is used to open the tray is perfect and should have a plastic pulley or cog on the shaft. This helps you add your mirror as there is something to glue the mirror to. You can get away with Blu-tac as I did in my early experiments but be careful with motor speed as the mirror will fly off and you dont want a high speed glass projectile flying around the room!

Once you have this working, make a second motor 'scanner' and bounce the circle from motor 1 onto this mirror. Hey presto spiro effects. To vary the effects you need to independently control the motor speed, and its cool to be able to reverse one motor. Add a third one for more effects. The more bounces you have the less chance you have of catching all of the pattern on the next mirror as it gets progressivley large but it is possible with very shallow angle to get four motors in the chain that may not be practical if you ar edoing this for the first time. Anyhow you will have bags of fun with 2 motors

Rob

PS

NO we all dream of such even for more than $200 would do!

Thanks.

Is this all I'd need for a spiro?

2 FS mirrors (dont have)

2 pots (don't have)

2 switches ( got it)

laser (dont have)

glue (got it)

batteries (got it)

Battery holders (dont have)

wire (got it)

I think thats everything.

You know where I could get some pots and 2 FS mirrors about 2x2 cm?

Quote Originally Posted by VioletBeam View Post
    Thanks.

Is this all I'd need for a spiro?

2 FS mirrors (dont have)

2 pots (don't have)

2 switches ( got it)

laser (dont have)

glue (got it)

batteries (got it)

Battery holders (dont have)

wire (got it)

I think thats everything.
    There is one thing you've missed off...

YOU'VE FORGOTTEN THE CRACKERS!

(British Joke )

Dan

oh and dont forget the motors

if this is your first time in building a spiro laser .... i would reccomend that you look at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pocket-Laser-L...3286.m63.l1177

it may be worth getting one and ripping it apart then using the controller and motors and adding a bigger laser

it will give you a quick and easy start and allow you to design something more adventurous ......

all the best ... karl

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    There is one thing you've missed off...

YOU'VE FORGOTTEN THE CRACKERS!

(British Joke )

Dan
    Which came first, the forgotten crackers joke or Wallace and Gromit?

Just wondering.

-Jonathan

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Why would you use mirrors on motors?
    I use 2 boxes with cheap mirrors from my mirrorball (the one previously to my coloured one) and my red laser. Works very good!
    If you put normal music to the boxes, you get an irregular shape dancing on your wall. If you want a spiro with regular forms, check this out:
    http://www.home.no/gunnare/ (see this post for more information). Connect the boxes to your computer and enjoy! If you use one oscillator, you get regular forms. A second oscillator will get the shape rotating. Works best with first plug-in (-----LEAD-----) and the mid-tones.
    See pictures attached...
    (red laser is the one from Chris/Badger1666, 635 nm and 250-300 mW, put in a "nice" case, unfortunately one centimeter too small to completely close the case! )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3002.JPG  

DSCN3003.JPG  

DSCN2997.JPG