Thread: Any 'USB' Guru's Out There?

Default Any 'USB' Guru's Out There?

Hi all

I recently wiped my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP SP3. I then installed the QM2000.Net and LD2000 intro suite of software. I also have a 17" LCD touchscreen that I use with LivePRO. This uses Hutchinson drivers, it has a serial connection to the PC for which I use a serial/USB convertor, it also has a USB cable to the monitor for using the incorporated USB hub.

Before I did the clean install everything worked fine and the touch screen worked great but I had a couple of issues with LivePRO images 'jumping', hence the decision to do the clean install. My laptop is now as simple as it can be... WinXP SP3 / Pangolin software / Winamp / Touchscreen.

O.K., so, here's the problem... When I boot up with the touchscreen connected everything works fine and the touchscreen works great. Then... whenever I start LD2000 / LivePRO / Showtime / Winamp, the touchsceeen stops working. There are no other problems apart from the touchscreen refuses to work .

Something is obviously happening when I start to run a program that is interfering with the touchscreen drivers.

Any ideas???

Oh, and the clean install cured the LivePRO jumping problems

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

jem-

problem #1- WINDOWS XP SP3!!!!!!! LOL. no, seriously...i had a TON of problems also with SP3. not wanything laser related, just driver issues and resource issues.

im no super pro, but i do pretty good with computers. heres a couple of my suggestions-

1. try uninstalling the drivers for your monitor. ANY and ALL associated drivers concerning your touch screen. do this with the monitor PLUGGED IN. once un-installed, TURN OFF (not restart!!) TURN OFF computer. unplug touch screen monitor. (obviously only if you have another monitor to plug into it temporarily) most people have more than one monitors these days somewhere in their house! and then install any and all drivers again for the touch screen. turn power off on computer. NOT RESTART. TURN OFF. plug in touch screen monitor and turn computer on and let windows find the new monitor and install the drivers.

2. you arent too far in yet, why dont you re-format again. and.....

3. try NOT to use XP SP3. do you have xp pro SP2?? if not, PM me. i "may be able to help you" ahem...cough cough...if you just have xp pro (or home) make sure to NOT download SP3. (turn off automatic updates when windows loads.)

4. do you use any virus protection? if so, try to install touch monitor BEFORE installing virus protection. (ESPECIALLY mcaffee!!)

5. why dont you get the model of your monitor and/or display card and download the NEWEST drivers for it from the web.

these are some of my suggestions. again, im no bill gates or "spec" (DAMN hes a computer genius!!...) but i do pretty good with the puters. these suggestions may help ya out. if not....sucks for you! (kidding...)

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Funny enough, I installed SP3 on my laptop and it gives me grief with the graphics drivers and the machine has slowed down to 386 kind of speed (for those that remember 286, 386, 486)...
    Everyone I have spoken to that installed SP3 has had some kind of display output problem...

I too have to embark on the whole reformatting thing.... Eeeuuurrrgghhhh Misery...

Mark

Oh Crap

That doesn't sound good, thatnks Marc and Mark for your suggestions. I'll give them a go and let you know what happens. I think i'll try the uninstall/re-install drivers first, i'll also contact Hutchinson to see if new drivers are available.

I just wish Microsoft would sort out the problems before they release new updates

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hmm my computer has been quite slow, it seems it may be SP3 causing the probs. THo I do guess I need a reformat, my lappy is fragmented and full!

O.K., so, i've just spent the last hour or so fiddling about trying to sort this out.

Marc, I chose to start with option 1. and... well, so far so good. It appears to be working at the moment, although I did get a couple of BSOD's along the way.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Cheers

Jem