Thread: My worst nightmare...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Angry My worst nightmare...

... happened today! I was on an event where people like to suffer. Indeed, a sports competition! It is a mystery to me what people are thinking when they run about 10 miles up and down, I shall probably never know. (I was there because it happens in my street, just in case you could misunderstand.)
    But in the tent there was a light installation. For that event it was rather spectacular: 2x4 spots and 2 scanners (I mean the light effect, not the mirrors from laser equipment). They had also a professional controller for the spots. Now it comes... The controller stood unused behind the stage, they did not know how to use it ("No, you need also a DMX-bar!" -"A what?" -"A DMX-Bar! Otherwise you can't control your spots!" -"No, the bar is over there, at the other side of the tent. What is DMX?") and the scanners where used sound-controlled separately. I have tried to explain that they should use a cable to let the scanners operate synchronised ("Just put a microfone cable between them." -"Why am I still listening at you?"). <-- Maybe the disadvantage for being 16.
    My question is... what should we do to those people? I would like to say: burning with my laser, but it is only 40 mW.

did he actually say "why am i still listening to you?"

what an a-hole.
    i could get my hands on a bigger laser for you but maybe buffo could get that laser rifle he was talking about.

sounds like they will be working for you in the future anyway.

peace,
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    did he actually say "why am i still listening to you?"
    No, I was a little bit exaggerating over here... I have stopped the conversation when I tried to explain how DMX works. It was still too much for her brains, maybe it was good that I stopped here.

If Buffo/Adam has something like that, he may always send, but if I can pay for it is another question. I am up to buy (or what is the expression here) a few more fixtures, so I will be low on money the next months. Expensive hobby's, probably you know everything of it.

At this moment, the party hasn't begun yet, but the tent is open all day long, and I have taken a look to the installation. Wondering if I sleep tonight... Maybe I should save the party, if it wasn't a sports competition.

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    what an a-hole.
    I agree with you, Wes. The manager of the event sounds like a total asshat!
    maybe buffo could get that laser rifle he was talking about
    Actually, that laser rifle (the portable CO2 laser) is owned by someone in the UK! He was at the UKLEM they had earlier in the year, but I can't for the life of me remember who he was. (Stanwax can probably help me out here...) There was a picture posted of him with the thing in his hands. (Totally cool looking!)
    Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    No, I was a little bit exaggerating over here... I have stopped the conversation when I tried to explain how DMX works. It was still too much for her brains, maybe it was good that I stopped here.
    Sounds like you did the right thing... She may have not been all that receptive to your advice. But maybe you can approach her later and explain in simpler terms why the lights weren't working as well as they *could* have been. (Better yet, bring some of your equipment and *show* her what it should have looked like.)
    If Buffo/Adam has something like that, he may always send, but if I can pay for it is another question.
    I think Wes was making a joke... If you can't explain to the woman how stupid she was being, just shoot her in the head with the laser rifle and put her out of her misery!

But like I said, it's not my laser. I don't have anything nearly that powerful. (And it's probably a good thing!)

Still, it's good that you have a sense of duty... "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." That attitude will serve you well in the future.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Actually, that laser rifle (the portable CO2 laser) is owned by someone in the UK!
    That was Robin (UK-Laser) or "sir" as we now call him

Cool

Ah yes! Robin! The guy that just had a son! Of course...

Thanks Simon!

Adam

I think I have seen that pic... Was it a guy with a huge green thing lighting his cigar?
    Don't forget this project was a sport event, so what else have you expected!
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-30-2008 at 10:47. Reason: Just forgotten to insert text

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Was it a guy with a huge green thing lighting his cigar?
    No, that would be a picture of DZ lighting a cigar off Imagelight's new water-cooled Lexel 95 argon laser. That happened just a couple weeks ago at SELEM here in the US. (And was also very cool to see, if a little bit dangerous!)

Adam

i hate old people that look down on younger people just because of their "age" or how young they look.
    -Josh