Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My New Toy

Default My New Toy

Hello everyone!!! My name is Ted aka LaserGuy216... I just bought my self one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=023
    its a Complete 30k galvo scanner kit...... has anyone played with this type of setup?? kind you tell me anything about it that I dont know???? I have been tring to find out if this bad boy is TTL or Analog Modulation???? I dont know?? do you.. if its TTL Modulation how hard is it to build a DAC for it to be Analog???? this laser setup will have a 100mw blue, 300mw green & I not sure on the red.... any ideas? also whats the best software for your buck& Freeware.......

Scanners aren't modulated. They are fed from DACs. You most likely need a DAC with balanced outputs for that bad boy.

Lasers are modulated. There are TTL and analog ones. Go with analog up front. Spend the extra dough and you'll be happy.

SO if I went with Mamba Black Black's USB DAC will do all of the Analog Modulation??? or NORMS USB DAC will do the Analog Moduation??? I know that the lasers I'm getting have the Analog built in.

You should call me on the phone. I can tell you a lot more about what you have and what you need in a conversation.

James.

From those pics it looks like all the wires for the key and power are all there in the box, that's cool for someone like me who is not electrically gifted. What else came in the box.
    Graham

Looks like we have another Cleveland area-er! Welcome!

Because that thing has a DMX controller that can probably run by itself, the fastest way for you to get up running is to get a laser and wire its modulation into the DMX controller, fire it at the galvos after you've determined it won't bounce back at you,, and set the DMX to auto run (dip switches?).

If you want a full blown software controlled RGB you need a DAC and software, dichroic beam combiners with kinematic mounts, bounce mirrors with kinematic mounts (optional, depending on your laser layout), shutter (reccommended) and case.

There is a huge range of DACs available now, from $60 home-bew kits to thousand dollar DAC/Software bundles. It all depends on how much you want to work to get a good result Give us an idea of your price range and people can get more specific.

This guy has been to my house, way back when LaserBoy was still a Linux thing. He's got his head screwed on right. He just needs to be more active on the PL!

James.

Question Timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    way back when LaserBoy was still a Linux thing.
    How long ago was that, James? (IE: when did you first have LaserBoy running under Windows?)

I thought that the windows move was fairly recent - like in the last year, or maybe two tops?

Just curious...

Adam

LaserBoy for Windows was working for me on 04-20-2008 and was released to the PL on 04-27-2008.

Not long ago at all!

James.

Ahhh... Ok - I thought it was fairly recent. (Didn't think it was *THAT* recent though!)

I remember browsing the LaserBoy site several years ago (before I bought my Alphalite even) when it was exclusively a Linux project and comparing it to the Uclinux Laser project. Sigh... Memories!

Adam