Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water, water, *EVERYWHERE*

Angry Water, water, *EVERYWHERE*

Damn it! The freakin' hot water hose on my washing machine exploded tonight. You wouldn't believe the mess it made... All from a little hole like this:

I'm still moping up the water, and now I figured out that I have to go back out tomorrow and get *another* set of replacement hoses, because the steel braided ones I bought tonight have these stupid check valves in them that don't work worth a damn. One flows at about a pint per minute, and the other won't flow at all. Grrr...

Adam

I keep meaning to replace mine since they do go after awhile. Good reminder!

Wink

At least it is not tropical storm related...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

i thought it was storm related as well... glad its not!!

-Josh

Eh - good point. It could be worse I guess.

Actually, I'm keeping a wary eye on TS Hanna, because the latest NHC track puts it dangerously close to the SC coastline right about the time I'm supposed to leave for vacation. (Figures...)

Adam

That sucks! You just made my leaking toilet tank seem trivial.

I'm going to check my washer hoses now.

Cool

All I can say is that it's a damn good thing I heard it blow. If this had happened when no one was home, it would have been a disaster. Probably would have had to replace the sub-floor. For sure it would have ruined the hardwood floor in the adjacent room. As it is, the vinyl sort of curled up around the edge in one corner. I dried it out with a hair drier, and it seems OK now, but I need to get under the house and look at the sub-floor from below to be sure. (Crawl-space home, btw.)

So yeah, go check those hoses folks! I replaced mine with some stainless steel braided hoses. Those ought to be good for at least a couple decades. (The rubber hose that blew was about 17 years old.)

Just stay away from the so-called "Flood-Safe" hoses. They *suck*. The idea is that there's a sensitive flow control valve that will cut off the water if the hose fails, because the high volume of water flowing through the internal valve will snap it shut. Only problem is that the valves are too sensitive. One wouldn't open at all, and the other would only pass 1 pint per minute. My washer wouldn't fill up! (Timer ran out before it filled!) Had to take those suckers back for a refund...

I think the flood safe valves are overkill. The stainless steel braided hoses ought to be enough.

Adam

This is weird... I replaced my rubber hoses with stainless-steel braided...2 weeks ago. The old ones were 8 years old. They had "Replace after 5 years" PRINTED on them.

Glad you dodged the bullet Adam! (Only a flesh wound )

Tim

Glad everythings ok and not seriously damaged.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Eh - good point. It could be worse I guess.

Actually, I'm keeping a wary eye on TS Hanna, because the latest NHC track puts it dangerously close to the SC coastline right about the time I'm supposed to leave for vacation. (Figures...)

Adam
    If you get out before, just make sure you take the laser with you, if they insist on another ticket, you can always leave the wife!