Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: LaserBoy 09-01-2008 !!!

Please don't write any code that requires a human to interact with it.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    Can you make sure I fully understand format 2? Would you please send me a document that spells it out exactly the way it is done for the QM2000.
    James, you are being unreasonable. Please stop it. It's causing me to question everything else I've ever heard or read from you.

Bill has told you why the older QM-32 doesn't support format 2. It's really quite obvious. Bill has also told you that the QM-2000 *does* support format 2. And again, the reasons are obvious. If you don't believe him, then prove him wrong. Create a valid format 2 file and then get someone to load it on a QM-2000.

Your request for documentation on the trade-secret code that runs on the QM-2000 is ludicrous! Especially since it's apparent that you're asking the question more to bait Bill than to actually solve the controversy. If you don't believe what Bill is saying, then explain your misgivings and make your case. Show us your evidence. But these baseless accusations are pointless and flat-out wrong; I expected better from someone with your education and experience.

I have a feeling that you believe there should be more to the standard, and I suspect that you have written that into your Laserboy software. But that doesn't mean that Pangolin's software doesn't conform to the standard as ILDA presented it.

On the other hand, your insistance that some sort of conspiracy exists surrounding the now abandonded format 3 is bordering on paranoia. Are you honestly so self-centered that you believe ILDA purposefully changed the standard JUST TO BREAK YOUR SOFTWARE? Because if that's what you really believe, then there's no point in discussing it here. Instead, you need to be seeking professional help, because that's just batshit crazy...

This entire exchange is seriously damaging your credibility, James. If you can't be rational and polite when the heavyweights in the industry take time out of their busy schedule to answer your concerns, how do you expect anyone else to take you or your software seriously? It's OK to be passionate about your product, but you are being completely irrational. That does not cast you in a favorable light at all. More to the point, it makes the entire cast of PhotonLexicon members appear to be nothing more than a bunch of kooks. I don't appreciate the guilt by association.

Adam

The fact that I was in direct phone conversations with Matt P. and email conversations with Peter J. while I was developing my code that reads and writes format 3 is not "batshit crazy". The fact that it WAS published with a uniform header and then after I announced that LaserBoy was compliant it was changed is not "bordering on paranoia".

The fact is that the ILDA file standard has included format 2 ever since the beginning of time. So, just because some other software company didn't get it, we are now going to pretend that it was never really a good idea!

There is nothing trade secret about format 2! It has been a published part of the ILDA file format for years before I even knew anything about it!

This issue is quite simple. No one can work with any colors different than the default palette of 62 and be able to exchange that information with others.

All I want to know is if QM2000 and Spaghetti really can read format 2!

SHOW ME!

This all might be damaging my credibility...... with YOU! But in the long run, my risk of being a total ASS will pay off for you and everyone else in the form of more reasonable prices on products that do more stuff. You can thank me later.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-19-2008 at 10:16.

I have nothing to prove to you. I implemented Format 2. If you suspect it is broken send me an ILDA file and I will check it out.

Don't worry about it. I'll go throught the agony and risk screwing up my installation of XP so that I can run your software myself. It is free after all. I owe you that.

James.

James said
    This all might be damaging my credibility...... with YOU! But in the long run, my risk of being a total ASS will pay off
    Sorry james .... the damage has already been done .....

only a couple of days ago when someone had go at you about laserboy ( i think the comment was "laserboy sucks" ) i backed you up because it really pisses me off when people work hard share thier work and knowledge for free and are slammed for it

basically you are doing it now to gary, bill and i think you have no respect for the rest of the knowlegable people on this forum .... and before you say Bill is not doing it for free he runs a commercial venture ... thats crap he has done more for people on here without charge ( including scanner tuning etc )

when you said
    my risk of being a total ASS will pay off
    i can confirm for you there is no risk buddy ..... its 100% certain you are an ARSE

James you are a Fuckin Fruitloop .... ( insults coming thick and fast now )

I must say in all my years of being here i think you are the first person i have puplicly insulted

..... so another feather in your cap buddy

Next time someone has a go at you because of your stubboness im just going to sit back and enjoy ( like the rest of this forum membership )

Karl

Thumbs down

This all might be damaging my credibility...... with YOU! But in the long run, my risk of being a total ASS will pay off for you and everyone else in the form of more reasonable prices on products that do more stuff. You can thank me later.

James.
    Blah, blah, blah...

One thing is for sure - you've got the "damaging my credibility" and "being a total ASS" down to a science!!

James, you're like a bad reincarnation of the Energizer frickin' bunny that jusy keeps going and going and going....

Hmm, a couple of pages ago it was "Format 3" that seemed to get your panties in a wad, and now it's "Format 2". WTF ?

Luckily, most of us that hang out on this forum don't really care - we just want to share our knowledge and experiences in a relaxed, enjoyable online environment, with as little unnecessary ranting and bullshit as possible. (And yeah, I know, by posting this I'm probably just encouraging more of the same, but at least any visitors or new members that read this will realize we're not all completely self-centered). Along the way, many of us would like to learn more about new, reliable, intuitive, EASY TO USE laser-related software products that actually perform as advertised - an area in which, quite frankly, LaserBoy is lacking, at least when it comes to the EASY TO USE part. Hell, you got lost using your own software at SELEM!!

And sorry to burst your bubble, but while LaserBoy might be an inexpensive way for beginning hobbyists to get started, I SERIOUSLY doubt if you're going to see anyone that's actually in the laser entertainment industry give up their professional ILDA-compliant software for a clunky menu-driven package, even if it promises "more reasonable prices on products that do more stuff".

Many people on this forum AND at SELEM have tried to give you a lot of support for your efforts with LaserBoy, and most anyone on this forum that's heard of you for any length of time knows, and completely understands, that Laserboy is a long-term work-in-progress. Nobody has a problem with that!

What IS a problem for many of us, both openly and silently, is your incredibly self-centered, egomaniacal, condescending, paranoid attitude that you CONTINUALLY openly display on these forums!! Basically, your attitude seems to be that if something doesn't support ALL the features of your FREE LaserBoy software, REGARDLESS of the industry-established ILDA standards, it is a conspiracy against you and LaserBoy!!

You have VERY openly practically spit in the face of many folks who have spent a lot of their time trying to explain things to you in painstaking detail, most notably in your recent irrational, disrespectful "conversations" with ILDA president Patrick Murphy and Pangolin president William Benner - who, by the way, FREELY, frequently, contribute to this forum in support of laser hobbyists, often with information that applies REGARDLESS of the software or hardware the hobbyists is using!! You, on the other hand, have made practically NO contributions to this forum other than those that directly support your LaserBoy pet project / obsession / whatever you want to call it!!

After MANY months of reading chapters from the "Book of LaserBoy" that this particular section of the forum has become, I have noticed some interesting repeating trends from rantings in your posts -

* High school was hell, but it wasn't anything you did - it was everyone else out to harass you.

* Public "drunk & disorderly" at a high school reunion - but again, it wasn't anything you did, it was strictly the cops out to harass you.

* The ILDA standard was established by an international committee in an effort to better support the world-wide industry; HOWEVER, they didn't fully support a freeware open-source hobbyist application in the process, so this time, it was ILDA out to harass you!

Dude, to paraphrase what was mentioned previously, not only do your paranoid rantings piss a bunch of us off, but you're helping to make this whole forum look like it's nothing but a bunch of kooks!

If you REALLY want us to "thank you", either now OR later - how about taking an appreciative, CONSTRUCTIVE approach to the informatioin exchange on this forum, or, if you can't do that, just chill and shut the fuck up for a while!!

Geez...
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-19-2008 at 11:47.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

James .... haha ... ive just realised i wont even have to read anything you write ever again as i can put on ignore in the "userCP"

so no need to relply and call me a wanker as i wont read it

Karl

Stuka

do i get a hint that you feel the same as me ... im guessing we are not the only ones

you could use the ignore function as well

all the best ... Karl

Thumbs down

The fact that I was in direct phone conversations with Matt P. and email conversations with Peter J. while I was developing my code that reads and writes format 3 is not "batshit crazy".
    No, the fact that you believe that Peter and Matt conspired against you is the part that is batshit crazy.
    The fact that it WAS published with a uniform header and then after I announced that LaserBoy was compliant it was changed is not "bordering on paranoia".
    No, the paranoia part is where you insist that the only possible reason the format was changed was to screw you over. That's what paranoia means: the belief (against all rational evidence to the contrary) that everyone is out to get you.
    The fact is that the ILDA file standard has included format 2 ever since the beginning of time. So, just because some other software company didn't get it, we are now going to pretend that it was never really a good idea!
    What other software company? Pangolin already supports format 2. They don't, however, support format 3, because it's an abandoned standard.
    There is nothing trade secret about format 2! It has been a published part of the ILDA file format for years before I even knew anything about it!
    The standard is not secret, but Pangolin's code that implements it most certainly *is* secret. You don't need to see Pangolin's code in order to verify if the software supports format 2 or not. Just test it!
    This issue is quite simple. No one can work with any colors different than the default palette of 62 and be able to exchange that information with others.
    While this may be true, this is not due to some over-arching conspiracy against you. Your insistence that the conspiracy exists is why you are not being taken seriously. Thus, your point is completely obscured.
    This all might be damaging my credibility...... with YOU!
    You really think I'm the only one that thinks this way? Trust me, your credibility has been suffering for a *long* time - way before this thread started. Up until now I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as a creative and intelligent but somewhat misunderstood programmer. Not any more though. You are *not* being rational about this, and I am having serious doubts about your motivations for starting all this.

I don't see this as you trying to helping the community. I see it as a way for you to massage your ego. You're not cooperating with Bill and Patrick, you're confronting them, baiting them, and resisting *everything* they tell you. That's not how you effect change.

I must say that I'm impressed with their ability to remain professional under your attacks, but it's pretty clear that you're not interested in anything they have to say. So how, again, is this going to benefit the community if you're unwilling to work with them?
    But in the long run, my risk of being a total ASS will pay off for you and everyone else in the form of more reasonable prices on products that do more stuff.
    You actions are not going to lead to lower prices on anything. In fact, your actions are marginalizing the few valid points you did make (re: 24-bit palettes and such). Being an ass is never a way to convince people that you have a point. I expect that any good that could have come out of this discussion has already been lost forever in the sea of paranoia it's buried in.
    You can thank me later.
    I'm sorry James, but at this point I think I'd rather thank you for dropping the whole issue. It's to the point where it's embarrassing and painful to watch. And I know I'm not alone in that assessment.

Adam