Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: LaserBoy 09-01-2008 !!!

might be a good idea... or maybe a more general software section?
    -Josh

Talking

We are in....

Programming and other assorted Bit-level Alchemy

BTW I'm glad I sort of met you! You're alright! I'd really like to really meet you some day.

James.

I am trying to keep up with this.

Call me! or PM me a USA phone number!

James.

any updates today?

hopefully next SALEM we can meet... maybe the FLEM?
    -Josh

Talking LaserBoy 09-14-2008 !!!

Get the latest here:

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserB...09_14_2008.zip

This is still not quite right... but it's getting better!

I'm on the trail of the miss calculated number of wave samples!

Also fixed the greens palette definition bug.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    You need to work with me on this!

Others would help.....

It might be nice if either Patrick or Bill would chime in on this thread. I bet they have a LOT of inforamtion about this subject!

James.
    James, thanks for thinking of Bill and me. The day after you posted this, I left for the week-long ILDA Conference. I just got back to the office yesterday.

I happened across this thread by accident. For myself, I don't read PhotonLexicon regularly (Bill might). It is more efficient for you to email directly to Bill or myself -- this goes for anyone else who has specific questions about ILDA that we could answer. My email is mail@laserist.org.

I see from the thread there are questions/concerns about the ILDA file format. We are working on this now, with the new Technical Committee chair Daniel Cohn. Can you provide a summary and details of your concerns, and send this to me and to Daniel (ilda@taiserver.com) and to Bill Benner?

I can assure everyone that ILDA's standards system is not trying to block any software! The Wikipedia thing about lost profits is a crock. The only effect that would have is that it means there is less time for ILDA Members to work on ILDA standards, if the Members are trying to keep their heads above financial waters.

The best thing to get something looked at and changed is to persist. This is not because we're trying to ignore anyone, just because Everyone Is Busy and it takes polite persistence to get through this. ILDA has one half-time paid person (me); everyone else is a volunteer.

I should finally mention that ILDA is partially a "self-help" organization. If a Member has a project or concern, they can work on this within ILDA's system of committees or start a new one. As long as the Board agrees with the general direction, the Member alone or with just a few associates can get a lot done. There have been a number of standards and other initiatives where most of the work was done by 1-3 people.

James, ILDA wants to fix the problem you identified, if at all possible. Let me, Daniel and Bill know the details so we can see what can be done. Thanks!

-- Patrick Murphy, ILDA Executive Director
    (+1) 407-797-7654 anytime day or night
    mail@laserist.org
    www.laserist.org

just to verify im updating correctly all i have to do is overwrite the old
    src folder
    laserboy.bat
    laserboy.exe
    SDL.dll
    files?

or can i just overwrite the src folder?

thanks james!
    -Josh

The only file that matters to you is LaserBoy.exe.

I send the other stuff along just to make it a complete package. It is, after all, open source. I want people to know that they can see the code and compile it themselves on their own machine. The result of which would be LaserBoy.exe.

Occasionally, I will add a frame or tweak something in which case, you would want to look at the new in.ild.

If you just unzip the whole thing right over the top of your current copy, you will overwrite LaserBoy.bat, which you might not want to do. No big deal though. You can fix that in a second.

James.

sweet thanks for the info james! did you get my pm?
    -Josh

Patrick!

Thanks so much for getting back to me and into this thread!

How much more detail do you want? I posted a rant about it as part of my LaserBoy website back in early 2005. You called me on the phone to ask me what I was doing and where I was going.

I have to admit that my answer then would have been quite different than now and my answer now is no more solid. I am an artist. I am driven to do this. I want it to be perfect; the best in the world. I want to learn from this and teach others. I want to add significantly to human knowledge.

The original ILDA sections 0, 1, 2 are fine. Adding the correct implementation of section 3 makes it excellent!

There is no need for sections 4 & 5. Get rid of them.

This should be the last thing ever changed about the ILDA file format.

James.