Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTD - Shuttle YX130SA dual HeNe laser for spares

Default WTD - Shuttle YX130SA dual HeNe laser for spares

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have one of these in their junk cupboard that they want to sell me for spares?

It's a lovely old dual tube HeNe 10mW, 632.8nm, DMX/audio trigger, stepper motor laser projector.

A gorgeous old thing that NEEDS renovating by me - Badly!!

Problem is, both tubes seem to be gas depleted, or so Mr Stan of the Wax has reliably told me..... plenty of Plasma there but NO output

I also need some front coated mirrors for it but that is not too important right now, I just want to get it lasing first

If anyone can help then please get in touch.
    Thanks

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2144.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Aye up Jim
    I wasnt reliably informing you of the failure mode just speculating and thems not 10mW henes - way to small. From what I can see (which is not a lot) they look like they may be Siemens or Philips tubes which I think may have soft seals on them. Basically the mirrors are bonded using some form of epoxy resin to hold the mirror and seal the tube. Unlike those 1125 uniphases we got which have hard sealed tubes the (e)poxy resin seal is ever so slightly porous and over time pressure is lost enough to stop lasing but not enough (yet) to stop plasma discharge.
    Check out SAMS for more hene info.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I was going by what was written on the back of the casing - 2x 10mW @ 632.8nm. The tubes in it are only slightly smaller in length as my other 10mW tube I had at the UKLEM and they are definitely fatter. The whole projector is about 550mm long Rob

I take everything you say as Gospel Rob
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Cool

I have quite a collection of HeNe heads that I'm willing to sell; one or two of them might work for your application. (Of course, shipping would be pricey...)

How large is the space where the existing tubes are installed? (What do you have room for?) Also, what are the specs on the PSU driving that tube? (max voltage, current output)

I wouldn't put a lot of faith into the warning labels on the tubes. Just because they claim 10 mw doesn't mean the tube ever was putting out that much.

Adam

Hi Adam.

I have 370mm X 40mm diameter of tube space to play with - X2 obviously

The transformer has a 1200v AC output but then has a diode capacitor voltage multiplier after it. I unfortunately don't have any apparatus to measure that amount of DC so I am unable to give you and exact final voltage.

If you have 2 suitable tubes that fit the bill then I may well be interested.

Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by smogthemog; 09-03-2008 at 09:45.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Cool

Well, I have several tubes, but the ones that I have that are close to your dimensions are a little longer. Mine are 388 to 395 mm in length. Sounds like that's going to be too long though. (Diameter is OK - they're only about 36 mm in diameter.)

I have some shorter tubes, but they're *much* shorter (as in, half the length). Not sure if you want to go that small or not.

Is the 370mm length the absolute maximum space in the case, or is that just the length of the present tubes that are installed?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    I unfortunately don't have any apparatus to measure that amount of DC
    Jim are you sure Gutt*~@_e dont need a high voltage multimeter - maybe a Fluke one I swear it would be of benefit to them.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Good idea Sir Laser, I hadn't thought of that
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

The absoloute maximum I have to play with Adam is 385mm.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

I've got some HeNe tubes in the cupboard. I'll take a look later. Postage from here would be somewhat cheaper.