Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audience scanning

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Audience scanning

If you do it without buying the equipment to measure your beam power, profile, and scan timing , and if you fail to track cumulative exposure,scan speed, not have a scanfail system, run it unsupervised, make assumptions that all lasers are the same, etc , or if you use a pulsed laser, or a laser without light feedback, MAY YOU ROT IN HELL or JAIL or BOTH!

That said, and this post is not to encourage its use, I'm tired of seeing bullshit approximations of what may or may not be safe. So here it goes, the old OUTDATED , BRH pamphlet on audience scanning effects calculations.

There are probably some badly wrong assumptions in these , and if you do not MEASURE each laser on a nightly basis for diameter, diversion, power, , fail to use a laser with light regulation, apply motion effects etc , ie there are about 100 variables you need to track, and unless you buy a small fortune in gear, learn to use it, know your math, and buy the book with the pulse duration effects tables, , your NOT doing it right!

JUST DONT DO IT unless you have TUV etc certify your show!

I wouldnt even think of submitting these numbers to the CDRH either!

split up as a series of posts to get around the attachment limits

YOU USE THIS< YOU WILL BE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE< NOT PHOTON LEXICON< NOR ME
    CAN BE HELD LIABLE IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO AUDIENCE SCAN

THIS IS A EDUATIONAL POST< NOT A ENDORSEMENT!

STEVE ROBERTS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdrh-II.jpg  

cdrh-II 001.jpg  

More scans, see disclaimer in start of thread.

Audience scanning is for fools unless you have a real professional system desgined for it and the tools to measure it< not to mention a skilled< responsible show staff>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdrh-II 002.jpg  

cdrh-II 003.jpg  

If you do it without buying the equipment to measure your beam power, profile, and scan timing , and if you fail to track cumulative exposure,scan speed, not have a scanfail system, run it unsupervised, make assumptions that all lasers are the same, etc , or if you use a pulsed laser, or a laser without light feedback, MAY YOU ROT IN HELL or JAIL or BOTH!

That said, and this post is not to encourage its use, I'm tired of seeing bullshit approximations of what may or may not be safe. So here it goes, the old OUTDATED , BRH pamphlet on audience scanning effects calculations.

There are probably some badly wrong assumptions in these , and if you do not MEASURE each laser on a nightly basis for diameter, diversion, power, , fail to use a laser with light regulation, apply motion effects etc , ie there are about 100 variables you need to track, and unless you buy a small fortune in gear, learn to use it, know your math, and buy the book with the pulse duration effects tables, , your NOT doing it right!

ATTEND A ILDA PRESENTATION ON AUDIENCE EXPOSURE BEFORE DOING IT,. IN FACT< JUST DONT AUDIENCE SCAN, REMEMBER MOSCOW!

STEVE ROBERTS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdrh-II 004.jpg  

cdrh-II 005.jpg  

cdrh-II 006.jpg  

cdrh-II 007.jpg  

REMEMBER MOSCOW!
    STEVE ROBERTS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdrh-II 008.jpg  

cdrh-II 009.jpg  

cdrh-II 010.jpg  

cdrh-II 011.jpg  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTEND A ILDA PRESENTATION ON AUDIENCE EXPOSURE BEFORE DOING IT,. IN FACT< JUST DONT AUDIENCE SCAN, REMEMBER MOSCOW!

STEVE ROBERTS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdrh-II 016.jpg  

cdrh-II 017.jpg  

cdrh-II 010.jpg  

cdrh-II 011.jpg  

cdrh-II 012.jpg  

cdrh-II 013.jpg  

cdrh-II 014.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 09-03-2008 at 09:26.

thank you for this! i am going to link a lot of people to it and maybe it will get the point across!
    -Josh

Ha ha love the disclaimer.

America is the land of the free....you can shoot each other with guns, but you can't blind each other with lasers! Thats just so 19th Century.

We Europeans have a saying, don't shoot until you see the white of their eyeballs melt!

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Ha ha love the disclaimer.

America is the land of the free....you can shoot each other with guns, but you can't blind each other with lasers! Thats just so 19th Century.

We Europeans have a saying, don't shoot until you see the white of their eyeballs melt!
    In 21st century guns don't kill people. Lasers kill people.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Stupid kills people.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    In 21st century guns don't kill people. Lasers kill people.
    I resent the gun comparison to a radiation safety hazard. Oh and btw, you still have the same effective crime rate where ever humans are, even if they use fists or knives or broken wine bottles. It is six violent deaths in 100,000 people per year minimum. , even for western europe!

I'm a gun owner, mostly for target shooting and somewhat for home protection, I think most people have more respect for a barrel of a gun then the average yag laser. The problem with the gun is that often times the ER can fix you and very few shootings are paralytic etc. Most people who shoot are gangbangers or deranged spouses and the distance from them to target is under 3 meters on average. Plus hollywood does a good job of teaching you that getting shot is a problem.

The problem with lasers is its the eyes, not a death ray, and nobody thinks about that until they have to learn braile at 21 or 30. Its a education and stupidity thing, and the disclaimer is to make you think, and to aid my conscience, not for the lawyers. I dont set PL's public policy, SPEC does, and so for that reason, I choose to shield him. Its a educational concept called "In Loco Parentus" , you might want to google that. It says, when the school educates a child, the school is responsible for the child's well being. Photon Lexicon is a school of sorts.

keep in mind DPSS lasers change beam characteristics as a function of temperature and modulation history, the old TEM00 or multimode gas lasers didnt for all practical purposes.
    its little things like that, things that users need to know about, but do not, that annoy me.

BTW, the unclassified record for a argon laser is greater then 1000 watts ! If the folks at DOD and the Russian Ministry of defense could get 1 kW out of one of the least effective gain mediums in 1975 or so, think what a modern military laser either soild state or chemically driven could do today. hint, look up COIL lasers or Fiber YAGs. Chem oxy iodine is a wonderful gain medium. Scary but wonderful. COIL was publically disclosed in the 80s. its had a long time to develop. Diamond based optical mirror coatings were rumored in the mid 80s.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-04-2008 at 08:37.