Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidating power supplies for several lasers...

Default Consolidating power supplies for several lasers...

I would like to eliminate the separate individual laser power supplies in my RGB rig, and power everything from a central power supply. I have a 400mw 532 CNI and 100mw 473 CNI, along with a set of dual-Maxyz 660 for the red.

Any recommendation for the supply voltages and amperage rating needed to power these lasers effectively? I'm shooting for something that would power the lasers continuously for several hours at a time without excessive heat buildup.

Thanks in advance!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

What are the specs and ratings of the indiviudual PSUs you have now?

James.

Ah, there's the mystery!

The Maxyz use a single 9 volt 1.3 amp "wall wart".

The CNI's use separate, "laptop-style" power supplies with NO power ratings printed on their cases. Yeah, I know, I could pull out the old trusty digital multimeter and check them out with the lasers under full load, but that would make WAY too much sense!

Actually, I was kind of hoping someone had already addressed this with a proven solution. I'm all about going with proven solutions where possible !
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Stuka

I did this in my projector and I also posted a similar question before with some very valid replies that should be considered if you doing professional shows (http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4780)

The voltage is obviously going to depend on the laser supply voltage, if all the lasers are five volts to the laser controller then that part is decided. If there not you’ll need a multi-voltage supply, this could make thing tricky if the secondary current is high.

However, the current is going to be the questionable one (as no vendor seem to state it on their products) as you have the lasers you can simply measure the amperage of each laser and size the power supply accordingly to the sum of the lasers, i.e. for mine the totals worked out Green = 4 amps, Blue = 8 amps and I expected the Red to be from 4-6amps for a total of something like 15 amps, so I put in a 30 amp supply as it was the next one up from 12 amps. This also gave me room to move in the future.

Also, having a 30 amp supply means it doesn’t get as hot but it does cost more, you also need to consider the wiring and adding fuses to the individual laser supplies (most modern day switchmode power supplies will protect themselves for short circuits and over voltage/current)

My choice of lasers have also been based on this consideration so it has made this easy to do.

Hope this helps
    Troy

RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Hi Stuka

I did this in my projector and I also posted a similar question before with some very valid replies that should be considered if you doing professional shows (http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4780)

The voltage is obviously going to depend on the laser supply voltage, if all the lasers are five volts to the laser controller then that part is decided. If there not you’ll need a multi-voltage supply, this could make thing tricky if the secondary current is high.

However, the current is going to be the questionable one (as no vendor seem to state it on their products) as you have the lasers you can simply measure the amperage of each laser and size the power supply accordingly to the sum of the lasers, i.e. for mine the totals worked out Green = 4 amps, Blue = 8 amps and I expected the Red to be from 4-6amps for a total of something like 15 amps, so I put in a 30 amp supply as it was the next one up from 12 amps. This also gave me room to move in the future.

Also, having a 30 amp supply means it doesn’t get as hot but it does cost more, you also need to consider the wiring and adding fuses to the individual laser supplies (most modern day switchmode power supplies will protect themselves for short circuits and over voltage/current)

My choice of lasers have also been based on this consideration so it has made this easy to do.

Hope this helps
    Troy
    Definitely "food for thought" !
    Thanks for the ideas!

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....

Hi Randy,

The supply we have been using in quite a few of our bigger lasers is this one:

http://xppower.com/pdfs/SF_SDS120.pdf

We use the version with +5v, +12v and -12v outs.

The 5v being for the lasers, the +12 and -12 for extra differentially powered electronics, such as balanced line receivers, and we used a 7808 to drop the +12v down to 8v to keep the maxys happy..

These are a pricey psu (~$180AUD) but im sure there are many other brands that are just as good..

Cheers

Dave
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

If you going to go that route, why not just get a beefy computer supply? You'll have your +5VDC & +12VDC at high current and a reasonable amount of -12VDC. Plus you get 3.3VDC and its an easy replacement if it goes bad.

They come with clear plastic multicolored LED illuminated fans too!

James.

Size! Computer supplies are bloody huge!

plus the quality of a lot of computer supplies is questionable!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Yeah, but I could get 5 to 8 of them for about the same cost.

Cool

This is the PSU I'm installing in my projector. It's got enough grunt to handle your lasers with ease. Run the green and the blue off the 5 volt rail, and then stick an LM-317 on the 12 volt output to knock it down to 8 or 9 volts to power your Maxyz modules. You'll still have enough 12 volt power left over for your main power relay and your shutter, plus a few fans.

Best thing is that it only costs $7.50!

Adam