Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 watt white light in the palm of my hand

Default 3/4 watt white light in the palm of my hand

hi all
    just finished a 3/4 watt rgv made from diodes from the group buy
    next job is to fit it in a case with my dt25's = a tiny projector 180mm x 180mm x 90mm
    here's some pics of the build so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00688..JPG  

DSC00693..JPG  

DSC00689..JPG  

DSC00694..JPG  

DSC00692..JPG  

DSC00691..JPG  

DSC00690..JPG  

DSC00695..JPG  

looks very nice mate, does simon do the aixiz housing in heat sink compound or do you do them your self?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Default heatsink

yep simon made the aixiz for me , if i had a mill i would have had a go myself

ah ok no probs.

just so you know i dont have a mill, only hand tools and i do all mine myself
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thumbs up

Hey Badg -

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    just finished a 3/4 watt rgv...
    Brilliant job, m8!! Do you have any inclination for make more of those / sell as an 'OEM' laser (no galvos, etc, just the 'laser brick'..) ? If so, PM me your thoughts on pricing...

You using 650 for Red or 640? Or...? I'd also be interested in looking into subbing a 445 for the 405s... (and I know, they're boku-$$...)

I also have some 'tiny 'projector cases, that were used previously as 'fiber-fed remotes' with 'yoke' etc - I'll try and get some pix / post later - they're probably about 4" x 6" x 6"... will verify... I could probably arrange to 'shoot ya one' for the cost of post...

lemme know...
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default laser

hi
    i am using 650nm but i wish i had the money to build it with 640nm and 445nm
    the case sounds interesting look forward to a pic and exact size
    i just might be able to fit the laser brick and a set of dt25's in there

I'd like to look at the feasibility of getting this unit in a more "mass produced" design.

I can imagine that a .5W (50mw@532, 250mw@650, 200mw@405) module would be easy to squeeze in a compact design, CNC machined out of aluminum, with standard diodes.

The entire block can be cooled by a TEC or other cooling element in one big piece, and three Flexmods can provide for the drivers. Estimating cost, when produced in larger numbers, you could get this to market in under about $500.

Time to fire up the AutoCAD...

Yes it is possible to produce these for a pretty decent price, mine costs about $100 to make plus the time in the machine shop (which since I have a mill, is free for me), when using $20 laser diodes. The issue that keeps me from considering selling it is the little things, getting a decent green that is small and modulates acceptably well, making a cheep compact driver, getting a stable way to adjust the alignment of the beams, matching the divergence of the lasers, etc. They are all solvable problems, but unless people start deciding that they want a brick like this I am not going to solve them

In any case, yours looks like it is performing quite well! Mine only did about .4 watt (250mw from the red, 100mw from the violet, 50mw from the green), but the power could easily be increased with more expensive diodes and a 'real' green module. Congrats to getting it done with only hand tools!

very neat! I was thinking of doing something like this for a tiny RGV projector... If you guys do decide to start making them lmk I would love to get one

Default whitelight

thanks guys
    this one works better than expected
    i wish i had the time to make a load of these
    i am planning the next one allready
    this time four reds and four blue-rays , but with better diodes
    and optics
    so hopfully 1w of 655nm 800mw blueray 150mw green =1.95w