Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cutting Edge of Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    WTF? I've been using computers since my TRS-80.

What does that have to do with anything?

You have said, yourself, that MS stuff is easier to use than anything else. And you don't have to waste time leaning anything...

Now Vista knows more about your computer than you do!

Does it make any sense at all that every time you try to do something it asks you if you really want to do that?

Your computer can not be its own sysadmin!

We live in a day when the "Personal Computer" is an outrageously outdated concept. And yet, it is the core of all MS OS.

Things are not going to get any better for MS. They can not keep sticking their fingers in the dyke. They will either someday become POSIX compliant or they will be left behind. And if they do become POSIX compliant, they can't compete. They will become irrelevant.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-05-2008 at 15:13.

I gave vista one-month. Mainly just to see if it was as bad as everyone was saying. In terms of the gui, looked fine no problems there. liked some things ,and didn't like other things, all a damn confirmations got old real fast. I mainly tried it just to see some DX 10 stuff. my purchased copy of solid works wouldn't install. Some of my MIDI stuff, no drivers. A $500 large-format DeskJet, no drivers. And a bunch of other random stuff that just plain will not work. and not to mention all a DRM crap.

Everything was slower on vista than it was with XP. I don't have the fastest machine in the world, but is not too shabby. Q6600, 4gig,raid zero, 9600 GT,a pair of Sony 21's. So this machine should be able to run vista okay but it didn't.

Experiment over XP went back on it and haven't looked back.
    I currently have one XP machine, my main machine a Linux myth TV boxand I recently installed ubuntu on my laptop, and after the many trials and tribulations of getting my wireless to work so far things are okay. Come along way since last time I tried it.

Microsoft just plain dropped the ball. Windows vista is just like Windows Me, broken and total flop. Very, very few people would be running it if Microsoft wasn't forcing it on people. I find it funny Microsoft is spending $300 million is trying convince people it's product doesn't suck. If it didn't suck, if it didn't suck they wouldn't need to try and convince people otherwise. If I were Microsoft, I cut my losses and spend that 300 million on more programmers that can go out and help driver writers get their shit working for Windows seven.

Microsoft really needs to do a fresh slate redesign like Apple did with the PowerPC and then did again with OS X and the switch to Intel. Otherwise they are getting get their asses handed to them by the Unices.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Microsoft really needs to do a fresh slate redesign like Apple did with the PowerPC and then did again with OS X and the switch to Intel. Otherwise they are getting get their asses handed to them by the Unices.
    Chad
    You do realize that the switch you speak of (OSX) was to go to UNIX and GNU and make the kernel, "Darwin", open source, right?

That was the loudest explosion on Planet Earth that no one heard... When Apple became UNIX.

James.

Yep, I did know that.
    Actually I consider Apple to be one of the Unices :-)

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

From what I understand, its not just a variant. It is UNIX® because it came from original Berkley sources.

I have to admit... I still don't get it. I have sat in front of a Mac and I can't get into it.

Once I find a shell and I can see a console prompt, I get it!

If everything else in the world went away except for Linux, Xfree86 and a nice window manager, I'd be fine.

Oh crap! Gotta' have my GCC!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-05-2008 at 22:33.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

too bad Amiga went the way of the dodo because of corrupt top management. In the 90s I had a windows style GUI, a cool hybrid of linux and dos at the system level, awesome graphics when a PC was still 640x480 ega plus scsi plus true multitasking, I was running a low end machine, too. used it to run Pangolins LSD 1000 product, which used the amigas sound ports as 12 bit dacs. Arguably one of Pangolins better products too, which used scripting and time code for show sync, well before the timeline editor.

a high end amiga would still give a modern 3 ghz windows box a run for its money

Steve

Vista got a lot of bad press at launch but those who haven't tried it since are missing out on a great platform.

I haven't noticed any bugs in ages (there were bugs at 1st), obviously patched out, and its by far the most stable platform MS have ever produced.

I've only ever seen 1 blue screen and I've had Vista 64 on nearly 2 years, since its 1st launch and I use my pc up to 18 hours per day 7 days a week so thats some stability record.

Chad, simple answer to your Vista peformance issue, turn your clock speed up to 3.0ghz core - the Q6600 does this easily usually with no heat issues as its a very mild oc and the performance difference is startling.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post

Does it make any sense at all that every time you try to do something it asks you if you really want to do that?

James.

You know that can be turned off with a couple of mouse clicks, right?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    You know that can be turned off with a couple of mouse clicks, right?
    Yes. But that's not the point. Why is it there in the first place?

Answer.... Because there is an entire level of OS architecture that is NOT there.

The fundamental elements of any OS are its native file system and the kernel. In UNIX these things are designed for main frame style computing. That is to say that both of these elements are aware of multiple users with different levels of access to each other, the computer itself and other computers on the network. Every file and every process has an owner with a specific set of permissions!

Over the years MS has EMULATED these 'kinds" of features in their OS offerings, BUT they are FAKE! They are done in application space. They are not done in the file system and in the kernel. Therefore, they can easily be spoofed and blown away.

I'll say it again. Your computer can not be its own sysadmin!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-06-2008 at 13:40.

I Agree Vista Sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2 WATT DPSS RGB