Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Cutting Edge of Microsoft

Default God Forbid now some mohave or some other crap is on the horizon from Microsoft

I have read somewhere not too long ago that there is are a group of persons working to write an open source code to run and look exactly like the windows XP interface.

AMEN to them.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    Adam I ran a computer retail store for years and years and I can tell you that Vista even home is the biggest G DamX resource hog known to mankind, it sucks a RAW EGG ROYALLY!

Do a search for the DVD distribution of Knoppix 5.3.1.

If you get a nice fast computer with a lot of RAM you can use nothing but a DVD drive to boot Knoppix and USB hard drive storage to save all of your personal stuff. You will never look back. You no longer have A COMPUTER. You have EVERY COMPUTER!

James.

Adam I ran a computer retail store for years and years and I can tell you that Vista even home is the biggest G DamX resource hog known to mankind, it sucks a RAW EGG ROYALLY!
    That is not true.

I have read somewhere not too long ago that there is are a group of persons working to write an open source code to run and look exactly like the windows XP interface.

AMEN to them.
    Also, not true.

James I am an avid Windows XP Professional X64 user, quicktime and windows internet explorer has totally screwed me. Now every time that I go to the uspto.gov (patent office to search old patents for schematics diagrams etc for old equipment the TIFF file diagrams will not display. I have been told to remove ie explorer 7 and go to 5.5 a 32 bit version of IE when I tried this I ended up in 6 with no way to uninstall it??? What gives I am screaming bill gates and buddies names and imagining burning someones eyes from sockets with my soon to be 20 watt 532nm laser. That not christian of me but it has crossed my mind once or twice, do you know how to exorcise IE 6? any advice greatly appreciated great laser guru god I once heard you liked such accolades from ah oh you! Regards from David Rouse AKA id frank_1257
    You can't because after version 6 it became an integrated part of the OS.

Also, XP doesn't support versions below 6.0 according to the Wikipedia chart.

Is it really Microsoft's fault that the patent office is running 5.5?

The whole reason why it won't let you go back to version 5.5 is because it had serious security issues. The thing here is you need to kick the patent offices butt to change their web site to make it compatible.

IE 8 is out in a few weeks.
    Last edited by White-Light; 09-18-2008 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    You can't because ... it became an integrated part of the OS.

IE 8 is out in a few weeks.

Praise the Lord!

James.

If you look back traditionally Frank, every new OS that MS has ever released has required double sometimes quadruple the RAM of the previous version.

I had a chart somewhere that showed this, but can't find it at the moment. But from Windows 95 > 98 > ME / 2000 > XP > Vista, it doubles or quadruples every time.

EDIT: from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ndows_versions

Windows recommended (we all know in reality it often needs more to run properly) memory requirements vs versions:

Windows 95 - 4MB
    Windows 98 - 16MB
    Windows ME - 32MB
    Windows Xp - 64/128MB
    Windows Vista - 512/1GB

So its no surprise really to find that Vista requires so much more memory and increased processing power compared to XP.

Anyone who games will tell you that in reality XP needed 2GB for gaming and Vista needs 4GB, so double.

You can equally expect the next OS after Vista to require more still.

The problem as I see it is some people want to live in the past. They want to run the latest OS' s or games or programs on their 3 or 4 year old P4's when in reality a pc more than around 3 years old is effectively a piece of junk to many pieces of software which are written specifically to take advantage of advances in computing power and push the boundaries.

To give a good example, I built my present PC for gaming orginally. I have C2D 6600+ overclocked to 6900+ equivolent, 4GB of ultra fast memory, 2 x ultra fast hard drives in RAID 0, a factory overclocked DX10 8800GT 756mb grahics card, XFi sound card, 620w Enermax Liberty PSU and when I tried to run the game Crysis LAST YEAR, at 1680 x 1200, the usual 22" monitor resolution, my pc slowed to 1 - 2 frames per second in high quality when really 40-50 fps is the minimum thats playable, or to put it another way, I couldn't even run it unless I turned the graphics down so low as to make it pointless having it!!

My point is that the latest piece of software turned my $2,500 purpose built cutting edge (at the time) pc into a piece of worthless junk almost as soon as I'd built it.

As for your Nero 6 etc Adam, compatability isn't going to change with the next OS.

The reason why certain older programs like Nero 6 can't run on in Vista is because of the way they hook into the Kernal. Due to securtiy concerns being voiced vocally in the past by most of the computing community about MS products, when MS designed Vista they restricted the way that many programs can access parts of the OS to eliminate many known security risks and stability issues compared to XP. It is this that prevents some older programs installing or running properly - they simply can't access the resources they need to run in the way they were designed to originally because its no longer permitted.

This isn't ever going to change as MS made this jump deliberately on security and stability grounds so it will be exactly the same in the next OS. Its something they intend to build on. So, those programs from the past that won't run on Vista won't run on any future OS versions either.
    Last edited by White-Light; 09-18-2008 at 01:29.

More memory is required but costs less. I paid more for 8MB of memory with Win 3.1 than 2 gigs with Vista.