Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cutting Edge of Microsoft

Default The Cutting Edge of Microsoft

Is it just me or did the whole universe of XP just get screwed with SP3?

I don't even want to know about Vista. I lost that when I tried to dual-boot-install XP.

I have not seen a working Echo Layla 24/96 since!

(This is since before SELEM! I felt quite defeated. I had nothing but the USB thing to demo. No 96KHz for me. )

Back to Linux for me, where it is well supported!

I need a solid platform to develop the portaudio additions to LaserBoy!

James.

Vista sucks I tried it 1,5 years ago. Now I'm trying Server 2008, It's kinda like vista, but all the 'goodies' aren't included so it runs tons faster. I thought I'd stick to XP, but Server 2008 is looking promising. You have to make some tweaks to get sound and such running.

PS: If you're wondering how I can afford to test these legally, I'm using MSDNAA (being a student has its advantages)

I have tried Ubuntu before, but the switch was abit big for me. I have considered dual booting, but there isnt really much I can do on Linux than I can do on Windows (Lets not start any fights over this, ok? )

I think my version of Ubuntu was corrupted, stuff wasnt working properly. But for now I intend just staying with XP. Just recently I uninstalled SP3 LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    I have tried Ubuntu before, but the switch was abit big for me. I have considered dual booting, but there isnt really much I can do on Linux than I can do on Windows (Lets not start any fights over this, ok? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post

I think my version of Ubuntu was corrupted, stuff wasnt working properly. But for now I intend just staying with XP. Just recently I uninstalled SP3 LOL!
    There are support groups, you know.... Let's start one, right here. All kneel.....

Oh Lord.....
    Why am I so afraid?

I know electronic computers have been here,
    on Earth, with us
    and for us
    for many years...

before I was born...
    since, just after WW II...

I also know that humans don't get smarter.....
    They just get older and dead
    and computers just keep getting
    bigger and faster.

I pray that those who came before me
    and found the ways of ones and zeros
    would not fall
    to the crushing
    silent
    death......

UNIX.
    Oh UNIX!
    How beautiful you are?

You represent all that is.
    All that has been.
    And all that will be!!!

And in this time of darkness....
    Let us not forget.

We
    Are
    The
    Sysadmins
    of our own machines!

Nothing can tell us
    what is right
    or
    what is wrong.

to install
    is to copulate.

Thank you God.

reboot.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-04-2008 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Vista sucks I tried it 1,5 years ago. Now I'm trying Server 2008, It's kinda like vista, but all the 'goodies' aren't included so it runs tons faster. I thought I'd stick to XP, but Server 2008 is looking promising. You have to make some tweaks to get sound and such running.

PS: If you're wondering how I can afford to test these legally, I'm using MSDNAA (being a student has its advantages)
    Oh, hadn't noticed Server 2008 was on there. It seems nice, but I don't know what to run it on. I run 2003 on my old laptop that I use as a router/server. Unfortunately I don't think it could handle 2008.

As for Vista, I run it on all my other computers and I like it. Faster than XP and has a lot of new nice features making it easier to use. Not to mention security which is highly improved. I don't even run a file system AV monitor anymore.

The only thing about Vista is that you need a lot of memory. I wouldn't run it with any less than 3GB (32-bit). I have 6GB in the stationary and 3GB in the laptop.

When I installed Vista 1,5 years ago, I had a pretty 'beefy' setup (for the time) with 2GB of matched DDR2 ram.
    It just drove me mad that the computer was constantly scratching the HDD (WD raptor btw ^^) when it was idle.

So I installed server, first 2003 and now recently 2008

I have Vista and it doesn't do "scratch the harddrive" at all. Maybe it does that until everything is indexed or until you turn that option off.

I run Vista on my main PC and WinXP SP3 on my old laptops that don't have much memory. I don't have any problems with anything.

I'm sticking with Windows ME.....

..... OK, just kidding - just checking to see if anyone paid attention!
    Of course, ME had its redeeming quality - it sucked so bad it made everything since seem REALLY good !
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I luckily veered off onto NT before Windows ME came out so I was spared that agony. I did load it many years later on an old laptop because I thought it would be faster than XP. But most of the time it would get stuck just trying to start up. Went to Win98 and it has been fine.

wow James, someone has been busy!