Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What hardware are you using for live perforance

Default What hardware are you using for live perforance

I curious what you are using for live playing

I was lookong a a small 25 key midi keyboard with extra faders.
    or the behringer BCF2000, but I cant make up my mind.

Are there any other afordeble solution availeble?

ps. Im using Mamba and Phoenix so must be midi.

I use a Novation Remote Zero SL as do a few other here on PL

Sadly mine's away for repair (under warranty) at the moment as all the LCD backlights went out

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I was just thinking about getting some hardware for this. The choice seems to be between the Behringer BCF2000 and Novation Remote Zero SL, but which is best really?

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    I was just thinking about getting some hardware for this. The choice seems to be between the Behringer BCF2000 and Novation Remote Zero SL, but which is best really?

Can't really comment as i've never used a BCF2000 so my experience is only with the Novation.

There's plenty of pots to turn, buttons to push and sliders to slide on the Novation. However, for me personally I could do away with all the pots and replace them all with more sliders and buttons. I do quite like the illuminated lcd panel though as it gives good information on which cues are active etc.

If I could buy a MIDI controller with just cue buttons and sliders i'd be a happy bunny. I reckon about 20 sliders and probably 50 or so cue buttons would be good. Sliders for controlling colour blends, effect speed, brightness, x & y size etc., and buttons for starting and stopping cues in livepro, plus a few for re-setting and re-assigning tracks etc. I could quite happily live without any pots

What really would put the icing on the cake though would be if all the sliders were motorised, so that when you made a setting on the screen in LivePRO the slider automatically adjusted to the correct value

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Lasershow performer

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    . I reckon about 20 sliders and probably 50 or so cue buttons would be good. Sliders for controlling colour blends, effect speed, brightness, x & y size etc., and buttons for starting and stopping cues in livepro, plus a few for re-setting and re-assigning tracks etc. I could quite happily live without any pots
    Make it instead.

www.midibox.org
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Lasershow performer

Good idea

Actually, I looked at one of these, but I heard there's a new version due out. I can't remember where I heard that but it makes sense as the current one uses a serial port. Most machines (laptops) don't have serial ports now so I guess if there is to be a new one it may be USB.

Anyone know anything about this?

Jem

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

if your wanting to control dmx consider going over to nightlight systems and get a few of their cheap DMX senders, and just add pots and switches. My 37 key midi keyboard is from a kid's product that teaches you to play piano with a pc, something called musicstar, they show up on ebay from time to time for 10-20 bucks. I like the novation stuff, but its underpowered when you need a lot of effects. Most pro people bite the bullet and get a small dmx lighting console for about 300$ and learn to live with cranky sliders.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post

What really would put the icing on the cake though would be if all the sliders were motorised, so that when you made a setting on the screen in LivePRO the slider automatically adjusted to the correct value

Jem
    The BCF2000 got motorized sliders, but I dont know if you can store presets in the BCF or need a PC to store preset positions.

There are also bare MIDI input cards avaleble so you can hook up your own made sliders and buttons.

I've been meaning to get a BCF2000 for a while now. Now that I have LivePRO, I should finally get one soon.

An additional cool feature of all this is I can control my DMX lighting console with MIDI. (the DMX console controls my Mobolazer's beam-array.)