Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le petit deathstar

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Default Le petit deathstar

i've been working on a little project with laserwizardry...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	29989

Name:	IMG_3532.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	29990

Name:	IMG_3539.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	29991

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	29992

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	29993

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	29994

Name:	IMG_3675.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	29995

Name:	IMG_3696.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	29996

Name:	10x445-swami.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	29997

and some video.... (sorry we didn't have any ballons to try popping)

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

c'est très magnifique
    Maintenant, où sont les stormtroopers

Steve

we sent them out for pizza.

what's the chance of us being able to pump dye with this? this is doing roughly 12 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    c'est très magnifique
    Maintenant, où sont les stormtroopers

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    we sent them out for pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    what's the chance of us being able to pump dye with this? this is doing roughly 12 watts.
    Slim to none.. at least not Rhodamine / SulfaRhody.. wrong 'color' for absorption-efficiency with that particular-goo, and, unless using a dye-jet, not enough power to 'tip the scales' on threshold, either... ie: we've pumped the dye-cels with 18W of CW 532, at the 'proper' spot-size to tip threshold, and, even though the 532 is a much more ideal ~ for the Rhody... zippo... it's not till you get the hi-peaks of Q-switching, that you can get the cels to give it up... worse-so, with a 445-attempt... but if you had a jet, and a *reeealy*-small spot-size..?? ..Still, the blue is 'not right' for efficient-absorption with Rhody...

Now, the P'Fessor will correct all my wrong-data... Thanks, Steve...

..But, still... Knarly-werk, Guys...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Wow that's nice! Great work guys!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Never say Never, I'll say NO way and you guys will go and do it on me.

Ok, a lab grade dye laser has been thresholded by a PL member at ~500 mW of 532. He could play with the concentration of the dye to get it just right, and he had a CR599 jet based laser with the right optics (I went Postal and shipped him a high gain output coupler ). He was getting lasing, but he did not get power conversion. He also had the luxury of picking his dye and additives. He is a master of flashlamp pumped pulsed dye lasers.

I told him it would probably not work till a watt and a half.... However he had a TIGHT ring dye laser, a very TIGHT pump beam, and God must have sent him a tailwind, because he is a Watt below the published AR+ threshold for that laser. HE also had serious patience.

Some guy in a scientific lab got around 1-5 mW with a 1W 445 pump, after much work. He did not, however, have a 12 Watt pump.

First test would see if you can focus all that to a 100-200 uM spot, with a mirror. Call Exciton and see what they have that has a adsorption curve at 445.

It will have to be a flowing jet laser.

I'm a bit more of a optimist then Jon, 1 in 9 odds, if you spend a lot of time on it and can get all the beams into the focal spot.

It will be aligning each laser on a more personal basis, and I dont know if you have the right mounts for that.

The pump fold and focus mirror is a 7.62 mm diameter optic with a tight curve. Can you even fit on the mirror?

Karl does have a nice source of carrier materials for the dye.

I though about it the second I saw the beam pics.

Dye, maybe not. Ti:Saph, yes. However what would you do with a watt of 690?

I have a customer that wants a corrected scientific 2 watt blue, with spares, so we may see soon, I could send the spare blue module to New York to the dye guy for tests.

You guys did not go for compact, so its heartening to see that unit could bolt onto a big green.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-25-2012 at 04:53.

It will be aligning each laser on a more personal basis, and I dont know if you have the right mounts for that.
    all the knife edging mirrors are on mm1's. we could cheat the knife edge alignment to a very small near field spot.

The pump fold and focus mirror is a 7.62 mm diameter optic with a tight curve. Can you even fit on the mirror?
    if not 100%, very close. the pbs cube we're using is only 10mm per face and there's no beam spillover.

Dye, maybe not. Ti:Saph, yes. However what would you do with a watt of 690?
    nothing... i'm not interested in being practical. it would just be a really gratifying milestone in my laser experience.

I do believe that J. Singer was just barely successful with the low power 532 pump source. At the 445 wavelength RG6 may have an absorption coefficient 10 to 20 x lower than at 532, nevertheless it might be possible by increasing the dye concentration to increase absorption depth. Also, modifying the collimation of the pump beam may be key as you trade off spot size against depth of focus. The hard part is that you don't know, even with everything "maximized" if your even close. So let me make a suggestion. Do you have access to a CW Argon that would let you set up the dye flow cell and get it lasing? Then ADD the 445 composite beam through a dichroic and optimize total output. Then if it looks good see if you can walk off, maybe fully, the Ar contribution.

we set up the little beast outside for the initial far field alignment. then we lit a sparkler.... for science

That's a whole loota blue