Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Goggles

Default Safety Goggles

Hi,

I'm concerned about safety whilst setting up my laser and having just bought a 600mw RGY laser and was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap but functional safety goggles that will filter out both Red and Green light?

eye lids!!

you cant get glasses that filter out 650nm and 532nm, not that i know of anyway
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

what about the RGB goggles that bridge sells?

i wonder how you can filter R G B with goggles an still see tru them?

Lightbulb

Bridge has some RGB but I do not think anyone has tested them. I was thinking of asking Marc for a set...

@RGB,
    Isn't your projector a turn key system? If you don't have to set anything up, the need for goggles drops tremendously. You really need the goggles for the alignment of lasers. Your turn key system should already be aligned. You should be able to point it to the wall, preferably without mirrors at this point, and fire it up. If you plan on opening it up and getting your hands dirty, then I woul say get some goggles. It your lasers are all analog, it is almost easier to drop the power all the way down to just barely on and align them that way, without goggles.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yeah I was just a bit worried about doing something silly like forgetting and turning the key whilst aligning the casing for inclination with the target wall. I really don't want to lose my eyesight.

I'd be happy to test them with 600mw RG and post pics of them filtering in return for a pair, Bridge if your listening.

Also, does anyone here have a safety stop button on their laser? As I'm going to have to walk past the projector to get to the key switch - my proposed set up under the car port means I have no way of coming in behind it once started, I'm thinking a remote stop button might be a sensible accessory also. Don't have much to spend though.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Yeah I was just a bit worried about doing something silly like forgetting and turning the key whilst aligning the casing for inclination with the target wall. I really don't want to lose my eyesight.

I'd be happy to test them with 600mw RG and post pics of them filtering in return for a pair, Bridge if your listening.

Also, does anyone here have a safety stop button on their laser? As I'm going to have to walk past the projector to get to the key switch - my proposed set up under the car port means I have no way of coming in behind it once started, I'm thinking a remote stop button might be a sensible accessory also. Don't have much to spend though.
    Hi Al

Yes, you should have an E Stop button on the laser. This should be on a long cable and next to you wherever you're operating the laser from. You should be monitoring the crowd and if you see anything hazardous such as dodgy behaviour / floating metallic balloons / static beams (possible scanner failure) etc., then you should hit the E Stop button until safety has been restored. The E Stop button should preferably have a key so that it cannot be re-set without having the key.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Are they universal Jem or do you need one specific to the projector you bought?

Sorry for all the questions, total noob when it comes to owning.

Well, pretty universal I would expect. Although the means of wiring it into your projector would be more specific. There 'may' be a socket provided on the back of your projector. If not, you would probably have to check that opening up the case and hacking the wiring wouldn't invalidate the warranty.

In its most basic form it should drop the shutter and kill power to the lasers. I'm sure those more experienced in these things will provide more 'scientific' explanations. I'm afraid I don't do electrickery very well

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

if your projector is wired true ILDA, you just need to break the return loop in the ILDA cable, pins 4 and 17 are supposed to be a loopback from the control software. It was discussed at SELEM the idea of placing a box with a standard mushroom button and a DB connector on each side, the regular ilda signals go straight through, but the button can break the safety loop.

another alternative would be to break the rgb signals and shunt the projector inputs to ground, requiring multiple spst switch contacts.

As for the Goggles, Greg Makhov at LSDI was showing off some RGB goggles a while back in some forum, you could email him and
    see where he got them. They were probably not OD6 but OD3 or OD4, ie you can see just enough light to align.
    Steve Roberts

RGB-

yes, we (LaserWave) have RGB safety goggles. PM me if you would like a pair. i dont believe anyone from here has bought any yet. they're $60

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems