Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossed over to the darkside...

Default Crossed over to the darkside...

After playing around with Spec's blu-ray pointer for at FLEM and SELEM, I finally decided I "needed" one. Of course it took me blowing up the 1st and 2nd one to get a 3rd one going. With the price of these things being so cheap these days, it didn't bother me much. How's $18 bucks per diode sound? Yeah, pretty freakin cheap... I don't know how much this thing is putting out, in 14 years of playing with lasers, I still don't own a power meter and don't really care to. Anyway, I've got 125mA going through the diode right now and its been running happily in an old galvo mount! I knew I'd find a use for that sooner or later. Such a pretty color...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails closeup.JPG  

beams.JPG  

Yeah, I got one from Spec too! I traded him for the 532 pointer I won in the raffle. Mine's getting around 100mW @ 126ma. Never realized you could get them for $18 a piece though.... That's cheap!

Here are some pics I just took....

Default Blu ray diodes

Are these diodes from the play station 3?

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    Are these diodes from the play station 3?
    I'm pretty sure these came from Xbox HDDVD player sleds. Most (not all) of the Xbox drives recieved a unusually high output LD for just reading and not burning disks. Besides, PS3's still have value since Sony won the format war.

I too am going through some post-SELEM laser pointer obsession all in thanks to the raffle. I went and bought one of the run-2 laser barrels from Kenom and plan on putting a 150mW bluray in there as soon as I get it.

The pen I have now is ~20mW according to an average of MechEng and Buffo's power meter readings. I remember when I was laser-pen-crazy back in highschool. Having something barely 5 times more powerful just brings back all of those memories -now enhanced with newer technology.

-Jonathan

Ha! I think I may have just made a DEAL!

As soon as I put the finishing touches on a sound card plus LaserBoy Correction amp and ship it, I'm going to get a violet pointer for trade! Woooo Hoooo!

I just got another kick-ass greenie and another USB sound device in trade for an amp and a setup and a too-quick LaserBoy lesson.

I have decided I must put my current rig in a state where I can bring the SS lasers into play, along with the gas, somehow...

I have CT scanners. I'm spoiled and not so rich. I need to use what I have.

Mixedgas gave me an unassembled "Norm's Diode Driver Analog Mod 2007". I know nothing about it other than it is a nice looking bag of electronics stuff!

He also gave me a neat little optics sled with a lens and a red diode that "might" be OK.

He said, "Here. Take this home and learn how to blow up diodes!"

HELP!

James.

james do you know what the sled came out of???
    like what kind of burner?

or even a picture of the diode would help figure out what kind of power it can handle!

heres a little graph from drlava

-Josh

James.

having made about 5 405nm pointers one of my next projects is to make a 200mw 405nm scanner. probably gona use 10k scanners.

so watch this space.

im currently selling leadlight cases which an aixiz housing can fit in. so if anyone wants a host for a 405nm pointer PM me

andy
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Would anyone be willing to post a "kit list" of all the parts - along with the sources - you would need to assemble a 405 nm laser?

I'm not necessarily interested in the pointer route; probably leaning more toward combining 2 or 3 405 nm diodes with some HeNe tubes I have laying around...

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....