Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15w laserhead with low beam power

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    He said the output changed to blue when he adjusted it. Is it possible that he has a prisim on the high reflector for selecting lines? I remember a few of those on the rear waveplate. We used to pull those off and put multi-line multi-mode optics on for more power. But then again, you said this was sealed.
    Its sealed on that model. Oh well....... Hope he's OK, but somehow I doubt it. Either that or he fried it. Its easy to fry something like that and shock yourself doing it. The second I saw "I modded it for single phase" I got worried. That is a switched resistor 3 phase PSU, I have a feeling it would not be happy being hacked.

The messy basement has mental health connotations. I know, cause thats what a shrink said when she saw my piling system.

Would you fire up a system with a new cost of 16K$ in that mess?

Steve

Those lasers were in the 3 to 5 watt range some would do about 8 watts if all planets aligned properly. 1 to 2 watts in the condition it is in sounds pretty good to me. With sealed mirror tubes all you can do is walk the beam for power, clean the outside of the output mirror and insure your current and tube volts are correct. When operating hacked single phase...all bets are off. They werent very good lasers even when operating three phase.

perhaps i'm wrong but where do you measure the current? because when the system draw like 30 amps per phase on tri phase system i think he need to draw much more under single phase no?

the other problem is the ripple current if the PSU use linear regulator because the tri phase lines need less filtering than a single phase system (the LC network just after rectifier bridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    perhaps i'm wrong but where do you measure the current? because when the system draw like 30 amps per phase on tri phase system i think he need to draw much more under single phase no?

the other problem is the ripple current if the PSU use linear regulator because the tri phase lines need less filtering than a single phase system (the LC network just after rectifier bridge)
    I was talking about plasma tube current. You would normally hook a shunt in line with the anode of the plasma tube (old school). You could use a clip on and that would be accurate also. You want to verify that the plasma current is calibrated with what your meter says so if meter reads 30 amps your actual plasma tube current draw should be 30 amps. Wall current is another whole story that has to deal with the efficiency of the PS which is not what I am talking about. Three phase PS current draw is even a whole different animal.

*PL member Mixedgas can enlighten further.