Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeing gravity waves? DUH!

If The Earth is devoured by a black hole, I don't think we'll be regretting it much.

James.

Well ...the LHC BLACK HOLE generating machine is turned on by now ... i think im still here unless they have moved me to another dimension without telling me .....or maybe my laser being turned on and pointing at france managed to divert the disaster ...phew i saved the day ! ........................ again
    Last edited by Lasermad; 09-10-2008 at 05:14. Reason: urgently added more drivel
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The vacuum technolgy used to make your PC, your DPSS, and your watch are all direct spinoffs of the manhatten project. The purpose of the large hadron collider and things like it, is really the spinoffs.

BTW, the www. in the world wide net, on which PL exixts, came from CERN, the sponsoring agency of the LHC. Otherwise we'd still be back on ascii text internet with slow file transfer.

but do why 20 goverenments want to be the next "GOD"?, isnt that obvious if you have ever met a politican? All politicians can try to do is generate some form of minor changes in the rules of society, so they just love the idea of figguring out God's rules so they can bend them.

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Well ...the LHC BLACK HOLE generating machine is turned on by now ... i think im still here unless they have moved me to another dimension without telling me .....or maybe my laser being turned on and pointing at france managed to divert the disaster ...phew i saved the day ! ........................ again
    You really think something that complex produced results in its first light?
    Its debugging time right now, and a lot of complex adjustments have to be made.I've spent too many years running a university lab, I know that puppy produced collisions on power up, but did it make the right ones, and woudl they even know if it did?

Steve

Looks like we have a reprieve. Apparently the divce was started today but is only being tested for alignment for the 1st month. Only then will they start to collide atoms.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I hoped the world was swallowed by a black hole BEFORE my test French today... No luck! Anyway...

(www.xkcd.com/401)

like mixed said, they are in the testing and ramp-up phase. We won't rip a gateway to hell for at least another month. :P

colouredmirrorball, That's the best! Thanks for a good laugh!

James.