Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser TV finally goes on sale

Default Laser TV finally goes on sale

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

"The 120 Hz LaserVues are promised to provide a brightness of 500 nits"

Memories of the Nit Nurse and Derbac combs come flooding back ..........

Good find !

Ok according to the original reports these laser Tvs were going to contain laser units in excess of 3 watts per colour ......... anybody find some specs on these things :-)

3 watt of blue sounds cool :-)
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Lightbulb

I wonder what wavelengths will be used. I have heard TV colors are not the same wavelegths as we use in laser projectors.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I can see some tv's getting disassembled if they are.

they also need to have improved on the life expectancy of the lasers

as 4000 hrs which is typicaly quoted for DPSS is only 1.5 years based on my tv being on 8 hours a day...

now the last reports i read were that the lasers are more like high power LEDs and were very divergent and they were being used as a light source to basicaly shine on a DLP micro mirror chip ( a 3 watt led is very bright and fairly low cost )

so hopefully if we can see the specs of this TV and gives us a pleasent suprise

all the best ... Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Xpe...eature=related

Ha! The guy from Coherent doesn't know it's an arc lamp!

That's the same Samsung DLP TV I have... Hope they make a conversion kit for me. I've had to replace two lamps so far.
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 09-09-2008 at 12:16.

Oh so is it a rear projection TV? Im confused

If the thing really does have 3W lasers, and is $7000, theres gonna be ALOT of those things ripped, i know it LOL !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Oh so is it a rear projection TV? Im confused

If the thing really does have 3W lasers, and is $7000, theres gonna be ALOT of those things ripped, i know it LOL !
    Its a array of RGB microlasers on a common substrate, with some real diameter and divergence problems. 3 watts total, and ran into either a DLP chip or a spinning motor scanner thats a N sided polygon, so its like 8 beams wide, plus a slow galvo sort of thing for the vertical scan.
    You can bet its potted in such a way your not getting it apart easily. Think 2 cm diameter beam and 3-4 milliradians or more. Glorified phase coherent LED array! Really bad etendue (power to beam diameter ratio) compared to what you normally think of as a laser. And yes its rear projection. The real thing to steal out of one of these might be the fast polygon, 15,570 or more scans per second is a fast wheel!

A DLP is about 3/4 inch by 3/4", so a fat beam is tolerable. I've heard both DLP and polygon from different sources, so until a dead one gets torn apart we wont know. But a lot about the laser technology itself has been released.

The light show result of this is a custom crystal growth process that results in Coherent's Taipan series. Ie yellow and blue. If you cant find a semiconductor crystal structure in nature that lases the way you want, make your own of multilayer semiconductor coatings and optically pump it.

Dont waste your 7K unless you want a TV with a spectacular color gamut.Save up 22-40K and get a taipan instead.

Its easy hackabilty does potentially result in a laser safety problem in the wrong hands.

Steve Roberts
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-09-2008 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Its a array of RGB microlasers on a common substrate, with some real diameter and divergence problems. 3 watts total, and ran into a spinning motor scanner thats a N sided polygon, so its like 8 beams wide, plus a slow galvo sort of thing for the vertical scan.
    You can bet its potted in such a way your not getting it apart easily. Think 2 cm diameter beam and 3-4 milliradians or more. Glorified phase coherent LED array! Really bad etendue
    compared to what you normally think of as a laser. And yes its rear projection. The real thing to steal out of one of these might be the fast polygon, 15,570 or more scans per second is a fast wheel! It might be a DLP chip if its not the polygon. A DLP is about 3/4 inch by 3/4", so a fat beam is tolerable. I've heard both DLP and polygon from different sources, so until a dead one gets torn apart we wont know.

The light show result of this is a custom crystal growth process that results in Coherent's Taipan series. Ie yellow and blue. If you cant find a semiconductor crystal structure in nature that lases the way you want, make your own of multilayer semiconductor coatings and optically pump it.

Dont waste your 7K unless you want a TV with a spectacular color gamut.Save up 22-40K and get a taipan instead.

Steve Roberts
    Yeah, a "Glorified phase coherent LED array" is probably the way their doing it on the Mitsubishi set. Only way to make it cost effective I'm sure. However, check out the youtube video I posted. Looks like a DPSS blue and green along with a diode red to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty simple situation on a DLP either way since their just creating a large white light beam and passing it through a color wheel,,,, I think? Maybe they eliminated the color wheel and are modulating the colors in the same order produced by the original color wheel?