Thread: I'm new please be gentle!

Default I'm new please be gentle!

Ok i am a Mobile karaoke DJ and i went into my local dj store to buy a DJ deck stand and came out with a laser.

now the laser in question is a FX lab G018ED Diffraction Laser
    it has a 532nm / 50mW green and a 650nm /100mW red lasers and the effect is over 500 beams of little dots that move in time with the music (it has DMX too)

It is classed as a Class 3B laser product and i have read the HS9G) 95 The radiation safety of lasers used for display purposes pdf by the HSE

I am worried how safe this laser is

I have done a search here and 3B lasers seem to be dangerous if not used properly are diffraction lasers safer than standard types?

This unit was only £145 and i believe many clones of this are now flooding the uk market.

any pointers advise etc good or bad is really welcome

I was blown away at the demo in the shop at what an amazing effect this is.

I used this once pointing it up at a ceiling when it was attached to a goalpost stand , the ceiling had no mirrors or really reflective surfaces (was just painted white), you could not see the source of the beams just the effect on the ceiling . i felt this was safe..but i would like any feedback on this.

many thanks and i apologise if i have posted this in the wrong area
    Last edited by Enquirer; 09-09-2008 at 04:01. Reason: bad spelling

hey, I have seen these lasers in countless amounts of video's. To be honest, yes, the laser can be dangerous, but if it is split into the 500 beams or so, even if there is red and green in the same dot, each dot would only be about .3mw each! Since it is a diffraction grating, each dot is draw at the same time, not like scanners, so really the power IS split between the dots. I believe the diffraction gratings are also, always moving, so it would be quite hard to actually blind someone with it at any kind of distance. If you stick your eye right into where the laser comes out, then there is a good chance it will blind you, but in other words, its pretty safe..

Thank you for your quick response this does put my mind at rest ..i feel i can use this now ..many thanks

DON'T AUDIENCE SCAN until you're 100% sure you've got all the safety precautions met! (it gets VERY involved!!) Search the forums here - there's been a LOT of traffic on that subject lately!!

You can still have a VERY effective addition to your light show by projecting graphics onto a scrim suspended above your stage, or with some smoke/haze in the air, shooting beams ABOVE the audience!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Its just beams, no graphics. Kinda useless for anything but beam shows unless your looking for that star kinda effect on a wall.

But I agree with the above post.

Exactly what i'm after the "star effect" on a wall or ceiling..cant use smoke or haze in most of my venues..it will be pointing up above any audience members and i wont be pointing it at dancers etc

Then your perfectly fine! At that kinda power, the kind of reflections you'd get are relatively harmless!

hi and welcome

basical my comments are the same as everyone above has posted

just as an aditional bit of information .... defraction gratings tend to have a hot spot in the centre and this beam will measure a lot higher power than all the other beams

so be wary if your does and you point it towards the audience

but to be honest i have seen these units running and as mentioned above each beam is miniscule in power so you should be fine

all the best ... Karl

now that all has been posted about your questions how bout some pictures?
    -Josh