Thread: Audience Scanning & Class 3B questions.

Exclamation Audience Scanning & Class 3B questions.

I'm a mobile DJ to trade and having just bought a cheap laser I thought I should get some advice before using it.

First of all its an FX-Labs (By Electrovision) 30mW Scanner. Link - http://www.electrovision.co.uk/homep...e=003301500010

I have a couple of questions about this unit in general. The manual is appauling in that it has absolutly no safety data at all. The manual can be found at the link above.
    There is a sticker on the back saying "Class 3B Laser Radiation When Open Avoid Direct Exposure To The Beam" I assume as the beam is being reflected out by mirrors that the unit as a whole is still Class 3B?

My other problem is that after reading the HSE Booklet on Display Lasers. It states by law that all lasers above class 1 must display the laser radiation warning logo, which this doesnt. It only has yellow stickers warning about radiation being emmitted.

I was sold this as being 100% safe and now I'm not so sure so i'm just looking for some advice on if it was actually legal to sell to me in the first place nevermind for me to operate it.

Im looking for opinions of people who have experience in this field so that I can know I wont be at risk of damaging clients eyesight, or my own.

Thanks for reading, just want to make sure you get all the facts

John

You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5205

The subject of audience scanning has received a LOT of attention lately!!

Basically, if you can't do it SAFELY, CORRECTLY, with the proper safety equipment & calculations, don't do it at all!!

You can still do a very effective show by SAFELY projecting graphics on a screen, or beams ABOVE an audience. Search the forums and check out some of the posted links to videos from this past SELEM meet to see what I'm talking about!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

30 mW could cause eye damage with a static beam, and yes, chinese products are often mislabeled.

you need to know a lot about the control software and each effect you scan and its duration before you can audience scan. I have posted the revelent calculations in a recent thread, just search for posts by mixedgas in the last two weeks.

You cant just aim anything into a audience willy-nilly, and kudos for doing it right and asking for help.

we will get you through this.

what controls this unit, a internal card or a specialized laser software like moncha, pangolin , etc?????

what kind of scan speed does it have? Can you post a pick of the galvo scanners it uses?

Steve Roberts

Its really is a cheap foriegn unit. Bought for £90. it uses stepper motors to drive it. It has inbuilt patterns that it cycles through. The scan speed is not up to much. Plus i cant open it due to warranty viod stickers along the case joints.

With regard to it being mis-labled and not featuring the laser radiation warning sticker. Can I Still use it or should I return to the shop it was bought from?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

we can help you do better with your money. The sticky nature of stepper motors really makes audience scanning with it a no go. The approvial paperwork for your own unit is not that bad in the UK, and there are a lot of Photon Lex folks in the UK, and one or two serious ones in scotland.

If your willing to spend a bit more, you can do a lot better. Its your call, but from a professional point of view, 30 or so canned effects is boring, when for some time and not much more expense you can have something you "play" to the music and project graphics with. 12K pps chinese scanners are roughly 200$, a 30 mW green laser is roughly 200$ or less and software ranges from free to say 99$ for norm's laser show, to 6000 and up
    Norms usb would blow away that chines unit

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. I think I'll take a look round here and get some more info but it does seem like building my own unit would be a lot better, and a lot more fun

cheers again
    John