Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra physics 265 phase conversion

And who has more real time using one of those Solid State phase converters?
    type,size(hp),weight

new and used resources?
    Last edited by Lasernerd; 12-27-2008 at 08:03.

I find this topic kind of funny. Yes i have run small frames on rotary converters, Yes, i have converted a 265 for single phase operation and all the other tricks. Yes I have used buck boost x formers for large frames.

Rotary converters are hard on the PS, & PT if not set up correctly & it takes much more single phase current, they are noisy, heavy, and an additional expense. I rarely if NEVER went into a venue where 3 phase power was not available. (is this a hobby or a business?) (keep in mind you will also be dumping 3 GPM of water down the toilet at the same time, go outside turn on your garden hose and watch it flow) To use these kind of lasers for a hobby is impractical. You will soon be upset with your ROI of oogling at the pretty colors. They are like small children with big appetites.

If you must run one at your home...increase your electricity budget. If I wanted to run a 3 phase laser, I would find someone locally (a friend or small office) that had a building that had it and set up a little table there. I'm sure that there will be at least one million arguments with me on this, but...to each his own

If you insist on using one-follow mixedgas suggestions carefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I find this topic kind of funny. Yes i have run small frames on rotary converters, Yes, i have converted a 265 for single phase operation and all the other tricks. Yes I have used buck boost x formers for large frames.

Rotary converters are hard on the PS, & PT if not set up correctly & it takes much more single phase current, they are noisy, heavy, and an additional expense. I rarely if NEVER went into a venue where 3 phase power was not available. (is this a hobby or a business?) (keep in mind you will also be dumping 3 GPM of water down the toilet at the same time, go outside turn on your garden hose and watch it flow) To use these kind of lasers for a hobby is impractical. You will soon be upset with your ROI of oogling at the pretty colors. They are like small children with big appetites.

If you must run one at your home...increase your electricity budget. If I wanted to run a 3 phase laser, I would find someone locally (a friend or small office) that had a building that had it and set up a little table there. I'm sure that there will be at least one million arguments with me on this, but...to each his own

If you insist on using one-follow mixedgas suggestions carefully!
    I totally agree with the last statement.

I originally made this post because I wanted to run these at home. I've since realized that that may be a bit too impractical. My HGM5 and other smaller argons are plenty enough laser for home use.

I have a friend with a machine shop who will be letting me run the 164/165, so I shouldn't need to worry about power. One question, though, if the power supply says 208v 3-phase, but the shop has 220 or 240, will I need to change anything in the PSU? The last thing I want is to plug in my nice shiney 265 and have it go tits up on me...

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    I totally agree with the last statement.

I originally made this post because I wanted to run these at home. I've since realized that that may be a bit too impractical. My HGM5 and other smaller argons are plenty enough laser for home use.

I have a friend with a machine shop who will be letting me run the 164/165, so I shouldn't need to worry about power. One question, though, if the power supply says 208v 3-phase, but the shop has 220 or 240, will I need to change anything in the PSU? The last thing I want is to plug in my nice shiney 265 and have it go tits up on me...
    You will need to get a buck-boost transformer to drop the voltage down down to 208. I know some Lexel PSUs had a buck-boost built in, I do not know about your PSU I didn't see one in the previous pictures.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

He just told you that because he didnt measure it. if it is what he says it dosnt sound like three phase to me. You will not need a buck boost transformer...yet, you will need to get a Digital Volt Meter. Make sure it is a 4 wire system (three phases and ground, not two phases with neutral and a ground) The input voltage requirement for a 265 is 208 vac +/-10% so you can go as high as 228vac or as low as 188vac. If the voltage is higher than 228 (phase to phase) then yes you will need to buck it. The 265 is a regulated passbank. In my experience true three phase is well under 220vac. Be sure it is not single phase with a stinger (one leg will measure significantly higher (this is bad) (i cant explain it but i bet mixed gas can)

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    He just told you that because he didnt measure it. if it is what he says it dosnt sound like three phase to me. You will not need a buck boost transformer...yet, you will need to get a Digital Volt Meter. Make sure it is a 4 wire system (three phases and ground, not two phases with neutral and a ground) The input voltage requirement for a 265 is 208 vac +/-10% so you can go as high as 228vac or as low as 188vac. If the voltage is higher than 228 (phase to phase) then yes you will need to buck it. The 265 is a regulated passbank. In my experience true three phase is well under 220vac. Be sure it is not single phase with a stinger (one leg will measure significantly higher (this is bad) (i cant explain it but i bet mixed gas can)
    I'll check it out. It is part of an industrial complex that runs many other large cnc's and 3-phase motors so I'm guessing it is the 'real deal'. I'll just have to measure it to verify that we are within range, but I'm sure it's fine. I'll bring in the DMM and measure before we hook it all into the power. I'm sure it's just one of those deals where someone says "220v" just like residential power varies from 110 to 115 to 120 when people talk about it. It's a rounding thing I guess. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    I'll check it out. It is part of an industrial complex that runs many other large cnc's and 3-phase motors so I'm guessing it is the 'real deal'. I'll just have to measure it to verify that we are within range, but I'm sure it's fine. I'll bring in the DMM and measure before we hook it all into the power. I'm sure it's just one of those deals where someone says "220v" just like residential power varies from 110 to 115 to 120 when people talk about it. It's a rounding thing I guess. Thanks for the tips!

yeah, if it is an industrial complex it probably has three phase. I would look for an open area to stick in your own 60 amp three phase breaker and have a plug mounted on the wall next to the panel and all you have to do is plug in and blaze away.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have some spare buck/boost trannies, just in case you need one. Just watch out for "Delta with a Sting", too. AKA DELTA CONNECTED 4 WIRE THREE PHASE:

aka high leg, witch leg,red leg, bitch leg etc. That can eat a psu fast if you mistake the "neutral" for ground or if its miswired.

NEVER EVER let a mere mortal electrician insist that he needs to connect a neutral to your laser. You dont need it. You need 3 hots and ground, and each hot should measure the same from hot to hot and hot to ground. If they don't, seek professional help.

also, few laser power supplies need {phased} ie, since they are not a motor, you dont care if its connected ABC or cAB in order. A few mid 90s SP digital supplies do need phased, but not a 265. note on a motor you can reverse rotation by interchanging any two phases, but ion lasers do not suck photons back in, so it is pointless on a ion laser. (yags with built in cooling pumps however.......)

Steve

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-29-2008 at 19:52.

How much mula for one of those Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    note on a motor you can reverse rotation by interchanging any two phases, but ion lasers do not suck photons back in, so it is pointless on a ion laser.

Steve

Steve
    Dang... For a second there you had me excited about building my very own black hole