Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spectra physics 265 phase conversion

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    years ago I was told these lasers are comparable to a motor load and not Inductive loads?
    Then either you were told wrong, or you've remembered it backwards. Motors *are* inductive loads. Laser power supplies are almost always inductive loads as well, since the first thing the incoming power will encounter inside the PSU is a transformer (which is an inductor).

Inductive loads reduce the power factor of an AC system and can cause nasty voltage spikes in the system when switched. But that's not really relevant for us.

As for the speed of the RPC, a slower RPM motor will be easier to deal with. (Less vibration.)

Adam

Ahh yes you are very right!
    I did remember incorrect!

Cool

Just curious - the RPC you want to build... Will it be a fixed unit in your home/shop/garage, or something you will need to move around?

Reason I ask is that the one unit I saw running (which was also a 15 HP model) had a nasty tendency to WALK ACROSS THE FLOOR when spinning up. Heavy-ass unit too - nearly 600 lbs. Of course, that one had a 3600 rpm motor in it. I think an 1800 rpm unit would help a lot. Still, I think I'd want to have it bolted to something...

Adam