Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra physics 265 phase conversion

Default Spectra physics 265 phase conversion

Hi All,
    I have a spectra physics 165 head as well as a spectra physics 265 PSU (calls for 208v 3ph.) coming my way. I obviously don't have 3-phase in my house for the PSU, but I've read of a few people being successful in running these with a rotary phase converter. The outlet I will be using is 240V, and I believe it has a 50 or 60A breaker on it. I don't mind if I cant get full power out of the head, but I'd like to get around a watt, assuming everything is in good working order and aligned properly.

My Question is, does anyone have any experience running the 265 using a 3-phase motor as a converter? What HP rating should the motor have?

Lastly, is there any possibility of converting the 265 to run on single phase 240v?

Thanks!!
    Jason

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

the three phase ripple frequency of 360 hz allows for a filter capacitor that is much, much, too small for 120 hz ripple. So you need to beef up the filter caps and the filter inductor. Plus you need to watch your cathode watts as you draw more power from your average pole pig, its voltage starts to sag.

phase converter or solid state 1P to 3P motor controlled speed drive is prefered.

Steve Roberts

I ran a coherent purelight on a 5HP rotary phase converter. It was a bit loud, but it did work. I can't remember if I could get it up to a watt or not before the breaker would throw. It would have been better if I had a 10HP converter I think.

Right now I have access to a 5hp motor thats already all wired up as a phase converter, so when I first get the laser I'll just use this to see if I can even get it to fire off, but eventually I'd like to either convert the PSU or get a bigger motor to run it. There's a junkyard near my house that sells 3-phase motors for around $10 per HP. Not too bad!

We use a 15 KW RONK rotary converter for 3+ watts CW and 4-5 watts peak for short periods off a 220 35 amp circuit at a friend of mine's house. He is a medical laser tech. So I'd say shoot for a 20 HP motor,

you need enough power to keep the cathode current from sagging and 30-35 amps DC down the tube at full current.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    We use a 15 KW RONK rotary converter for 3+ watts CW and 4-5 watts peak for short periods off a 220 35 amp circuit at a friend of mine's house. He is a medical laser tech. So I'd say shoot for a 20 HP motor,

you need enough power to keep the cathode current from sagging and 30-35 amps DC down the tube at full current.

Steve
    I'll keep my eye out for a 20hp motor! I should be getting this whole setup within the next couple weeks, depending on how long the freight company will take. Do you think the 5hp motor will be ok to just run the tube at an idle to see if it's all in working order?

Thanks!
    Jason

OH P.S. While I'm here, I might as well ask, does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly priced freight company? Right now I'm looking at about $300 for a 200lb (200lb is an estimate... anyone know how much a 165+265 weighs?) pallet through UPS freight, but I'm sure there are better deals out there. Anyone have any good experiences with other companies? Thanks!

you realize your shipping a 3 foot long glass tube with lots of other glass hanging off it ? Right ?

Also every freight company in the biz has been burned in the past with 20K$ bills for breaking these and wont insure them?

make sure the laser is properly crated and running air ride, and that there are soft spongy foam blocks protecting the brewster stems from moving up and down ! Laser plus your average freight company usually equals dead laser, where is the laser at, and where are you at? It usually has to be bolted to the crate inside, or a massive crate with foam.

PM me for some 164/165 shipping help.

Is it in the factory crates?
    assuming 100% transfer, you'd need

5 Hp = 745 watts per HP * 5 = 3,725 watts, tube at 20 amps = 20A * 240 V tube = 4,800 watts.

since in reality your looking at best 60% transfer

depending on your tubes dash number ie 70-X, there is a upper limit, either 30,32, or 35 amps depending on model. So you need a bigger motor.

NO might light at the lower limit, but would not lase, and you'd endanger the cathode and magnet/passbank regulators, the PSU alone without running probably draws 3-5 A of AC

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-17-2008 at 08:05.

Hi Jason -

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    I'll keep my eye out for a 20hp motor!
    Would like to underscore something Steve (mixedgas) said to you - a quick-but-very-important point - with RPCs, you have to be careful with those and the Spectras - the 'RPC' MUST have speed-control / voltage regulation added / or at least a separate 'line conditioning' module - if not, even normal fluctuation in line-voltage can make those 'swing' hi/low enough in voltage output that on a 265 (that usually has a fairly 'tight-range' / 'multi-tap' (where you have to change the taps for 205-208, 208-215, 215-220 and 220-240, etc) transformer) it can wreak havoc / potentially 'fatally'-damage the PSU...

I'd ask Steve more about it, but from everything I understand, an un-conditioned RPC on a 'date' with a 265, can = disastuh... Laserman532 prolly also has every-conceivable-bit of '411' on the 265 PSUs, being a former SP 'Company-man', and all...

anyhoo, solo mis dos centavos...
    ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

get it here in one piece first, then later we can talk about turning it on. The key is...you dont want it to sound like one of those mexican mirricias.

if you ship it in anything other than a sp crate you may be asking for trouble.

unless you are just a lucky guy

OK,
    I am also looking into a Rotary Phase converter(Balanced),,15hp. to power SP-265..
    A 3 phase Buck-Boost transformer after the RPC,,

Any more good advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Is a high RPM motor to our advantage?
    years ago I was told these lasers are comparable to a motor load and not Inductive loads?

Diodes are cool and all that,,,,,,,But gas is back in my Shack!!

I have a few 3phase 75hp contactors new these have 120volt control
    Siemens 3TF48 if anybody interested
    Last edited by Lasernerd; 12-27-2008 at 07:50.