Thread: Pangolin LD2000 Colour Palette

Default Pangolin LD2000 Colour Palette

Hi all

I decided to spend a little more time today examining the inner workings of the Pangolin LD2000 colour palette.

Just to make it clear, I have set up my projector in the past and was reasonably happy with the colour balance, so much so that I haven't played around with the settings for some time. However, I had a bit of time to spare today so I thought it worth further investigation.

I started from the basics, I let my projector warm up nicely on full power for approximately 30 minutes (normally I can't wait this long and usually give around 5 minutes before I launch into a show ). This long(ish) warmup showed a very slight misalignment in the beams which is obviously caused by expansion. I realigned the beams and set to work on the colour palette.

I spent some considerable time adjusting each parameter before moving on to the next stage, I let my eyes adjust and took things very slowly. I must say that when adjusting the palette controls it sometimes seems quite illogical to be actually turning down the brightness, but I followed the on screen instructions to the letter.

Finally I hit the save to defaults button and loaded a Showtime graphics show...

WOW...WOW...WOW... I've virtually got a new projector , well, not really but hey, the colours are stunning and the whites are actually, well, err, white

Next I loaded the La Luna Beam show and then Moby's Gradient.. OMG..., I'm now seeing colours I didn't know existed, there's no words to describe how much of an improvement this has made, everything is simply beautiful, there's some lovely lemon, orange, gold, violets etc., that i've never seen so vivid before.

So, if like me you thought your projector was outputting some nice colours and were satisfied with its output, just spend a little more time with the colour palette settings, it may change your projector as much as it has done mine.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem
    Now you can see what I was so excited when I set up 5 channels on the QM32 to run the whitelight and tuned the pallete - some of the pastels and odd colours like violets, and oranges you dont normally see blow you away!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Jem
    Now you can see what I was so excited when I set up 5 channels on the QM32 to run the whitelight and tuned the pallete - some of the pastels and odd colours like violets, and oranges you dont normally see blow you away!

Rob
    Exciting isn't the word for it. Strange thing is that I had sort of breezed through the pallet setup without giving it the importance it deserves. I actually thought that I had pretty much 'done it right' in the past. I've now learned that this is one part of the setup that definately can't be rushed, nice and slowly is obviously the way to go.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem,

Pleased you had such an improvement with the colour palette.

When you were setting the colour balance at the part where it shows the "white" lines (4 of)..... How did you get on at this part ??

I find that if you set the first line nice then go to the second one set that it kind of changes the first one a bit then on to the next and so on each one seems to have a "back" affect on the previous line. So step back and do it again.
    By and large I have never been happy with getting my four lines all the same white and level.

I have had a play with the manual method but seem to have trouble "saving" that aspect of the pallette.

I'd be interested in how you got on ..

Thanks for the PM good news for you on that one.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Hi Jem,

Pleased you had such an improvement with the colour palette.
    So am I

When you were setting the colour balance at the part where it shows the "white" lines (4 of)..... How did you get on at this part ??

I find that if you set the first line nice then go to the second one set that it kind of changes the first one a bit then on to the next and so on each one seems to have a "back" affect on the previous line. So step back and do it again.
    By and large I have never been happy with getting my four lines all the same white and level.

I have had a play with the manual method but seem to have trouble "saving" that aspect of the pallette.

I'd be interested in how you got on ..
    The white lines were probably the hardest to set up. In the past I had got them to look pretty good, but this time I decided that wasn't good enough. I spent quite some time 'tweaking' them and found that they really are very difficult to get looking exactly the same. The smallest adjustments on the sliders can make a big difference to the colour tone of the lines. I did eventually get there though, at one time I came to the conclusion that it was virtually impossible to get them looking the same - but it isn't, it just takes time and patience

Thanks for the PM good news for you on that one.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ
    Good news indeed

Cheers

Jem