Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Flea-bay bogus dealer....heruursciences

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=Laser Ben;94740]Odd, I did not know that optics could have a soft coating. What is the difference in how the coating is applied?

Once upon a time, ebeam or ion blasting or magnetron sputtering a crucible of hard material did not exist, so only thermal evaporation out of hot moly or tungsten boats was used, a lot of the low melting point materials that had the right high refractive indexes were were salts that dissolve in water.

modern stuff like tio2 and sio2 are hard, and are often melted with 2-3 amps of e- beam aimed into a conductive graphite crucible that looks strangely exactly like a thimble. I've used e- beam a few times, and its so much easier to get a uniform coating, compared to thermal evap. Also the density of the final product is higher. Hard coated materials will often not melt in the clowing tungsten boats.

The only reason to use a soft coat today is Far IR (rare) or quick prototypes of complex designs. Or perhaps running a coating in your basement or a poorly equipped second rate university lab. One last excuse might be deliberately making one layer so you can float a film off a substrate in mems applications. Many lab bandpass filters are still soft, you can spot them a mile a away because they have glass on both optical faces and are potted in a black bakelite like material to keep the water out. They have extreme blocking range , from UV to Xray to far IR, but short lifetime,

Hint for spotting the soft coats, they often have metallic silver Spacer layers in between the quarter wave layers, and this is a bluish metallic reflective layer that looks like the metallic dust in various car paint jobs.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-05-2009 at 17:27.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Your absolutely right. I got what I wanted out of all of this; we all know the guy is a turd, and this thread provides proof to that for others to one day see. Thank you for all the support! Lets get back to lasers!
    As to his Coherent stuff: He gets it on ebay. I know this 100% without a doubt. Much of it is stuff from sellers that dont know what they are doing. There was an auction for 17 coherent FAP laser diodes. NONE had ESD strips in place! He won them for $899.99. I have seen him win ALOT of these coherent FAP lasers on ebay. Most have no ESD protection. No telling what he states in the auction when he re-sells them.

Maybe we can shift this away from Chris (Unless new developements pop up) and towards other sources of cons and bad deals? Maybe keep it ebay related. Alot of stuff is popping up from California that looks really neat! I for one, have NO idea about its worth or whether or not it will work. The sellers know nothing, or at least claim to know nothing. It would be great for people to blow the whistle on stuff they see that is bogus.
    Matt
    Last edited by mattrg02; 05-05-2009 at 19:24.

PN Techretails is a scam whenever he pops up. This guy actually works at Coherent and steals finished products that are in the packaging. Avoid him at all cost!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Yup, I know about PN tech. I got a coherent f6 laser 2.4watt that had its fiber catch on fire as soon as I turned it on! PN tech just told me "too bad". :-P Funny thing is: HERUURSCIENCES (now his name has changed to Hesc_Photonics) was listed as the "tester".

Some testing!
    Matt
    Last edited by mattrg02; 05-05-2009 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrg02 View Post
    Yup, I know about PN tech. I got a coherent f6 laser 2.4watt that had its fiber catch on fire as soon as I turned it on! PN tech just told me "too bad". :-P Funny thing is: HERUURSCIENCES (now his name has changed to Hesc_Photonics) was listed as the "tester".

Some testing!
    Matt
    Bought the exact same diode... DOA and had to file a PP claim to get my money back. Bad as it may be, the... seller if you will... argued with the datasheet I presented him (Internal Coherent datahseet, not intended for outside sales)! Kept saying the diode is a 2.4W when the datasheet clearly said 0.4W! His 'stated' wavelength was also way off!

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Some times its fun to turn them into the corporation they are ripping off. Back when whitelight optics were 2500 a set, I bought a OC for 300$ and a HR for 400$. Read four weeks pay for a college student. Bastard sent me a OC with a diagonal scratch across the whole 15 mm of the optic, then told me, when I confronted him, that I could "move" the optics holder or tube and would be just fine. He clearly wasnt thinking about a 164 series laser.
    I asked for a refund or another optic."You can make that worK. And slams the phone down.

Mad as can be, I called SP and read them the optics number. In house experimental set, not to be released, as in "how did you get that prototype??...."

It took two more phone calls to get SPs internal security guy on the phone.

I'm not the first one that guy ripped off, but I bet I was one of the last.

Look, I used to work for a surplus company, I know a large amount of this stuff is sold at a loss to recover some costs, geta tax break, or to prevent paying for proper disposal. But a good 50% of what you see in ebay laser stuff is outright theft. The other 45% or so are overuns or outright rejects. The remaining 5% or good stuff is human error in testing.

You dont get a sustained pile of crap like some of these guys do unless its ripped off. No company could sustain the consistant losses. You can see when some one is seeding it with occaisional good parts to keep a rep up.

I find it hard to belive a diode cannot be probed after dicing but before mounting. And I'm amazed that 60 watt diodes are disposed of in complete disregard to lawyers and the OEM Laser rules. It would be easy to hold a BD10 to the diode module and kill it with a internal puncture.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-06-2009 at 06:34.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

i have found that you get out of eBay what you put into it..
    im not talking money, im talking research..

NEVER buy a product without asking the seller something about it that he would not know the answer to unless he knew the product.

ALWAYS (especially in lasers) request that original source of the product.

ALWAYS do a little research on the side if its an expensive product or if its only 5 bucks.

I have never been ripped off on ebay and shop there all the time..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Since I posted in this thread last year, Chris (heruursciences) contacted me to say that he had more of the fiber optic couplers come in, and he has shipped me the missing part for free. I really appreciate it, thanks.

Ahahahahah
    he makes those pieces of shit himself!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Ahahahahah
    he makes those pieces of shit himself!
    This is not one of the collimators made from AixiZ bits. It is some components removed from a SDL-8110.